DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have done a lot of searching on RCA's and I still have a few unanswered questions... I am going to provided pics and # questions that I hope some of you can help me answer. This is my system layout... iPhone>iStreamer>MS-8> ARC AUDIO 4200/2300 SE

Question 1: First of all can I use a 1 conductor RCA for each channel? (besides channel 5 and 6)

If So...

All my research has led me to the Canare-L5CFB as my cable choice (75 ohm) seems like a good balance of rejecting both RFI and EMI noise. Here is the specs in case anyone is wondering, thoughts?
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/pages/technicaldocs/canarelcfb.pdf

I have read that its good to ground the rca at the source end.
Question 2: How would I do this with a coaxial cable? Something like this?

So should I cut out a little section of the jacket to get to the shield, then solder a ground wire, then connect that to an external ground.

Of course id make it look nice, cover it with heat shrink and get somethin along the lines of this...

This is what I want my cables to look like, simple, clean, maybe a little thicker than picture. But something like this...

Here are the "wbt style" rca's I like... They are screw-type

Question 3: Anyone know of a style like this that is black chrome/black and instead of gold is silver(color)?
Question 4: On channel 5 and 6 (pink) I'm not going to use a coaxil cable but something like a starquad cable so i can directly connect it to the speakers or tweeters (Going to try out both see if i like 3 way front-stage or rear-fill more) So the question is can I solder to these rca's? Maybe on the cable clamp area where there is two slots. Or do I drill a hole in the arm of the rca to creat a solder point? other?

Question5: Does anyone know where I can find something like this!? (The thing inside the yellow circle) Also for a reasonable price? (The ones shown are 10 dollars each, not to bad if you use them for what they are designed for, however I want one (technically two) for EACH channel. If I could fit a gardenhose sized wired into an rca i'd prob do it :) If anyone can find this "thing" I'll prob go this route with a canare star-quad cable and braid the 4 wires outside the "thing" to a single rca.

Thanks too anyone who can help find answers to my questions!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry man.... I had someone else solder my rca's so I can't give you the answers your looking for. Fyi tho, I have a arc audio eq and the high voltage output(9v I think) was too high for my RCA inputs on my arc amp. I had to have a internet connector soldered on my rca's so I could connect to the amps hi volt inputs. Like you I tried many different high end cables but I never really noticed the same changes in sound that I do with my home stereo. Could just be me tho...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why do you want to use cable that looks highly resistant to bending the tight bends you will want in the vehicle, as well as difficult to work with? I work with RG6, which looks similar to the cable you linked, and I would never put that in my car.

Shielding isn't as big an issue for RCAs in the car as people want to make it. Route your cables away from power sources, stay away from the fuel pump, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you want to use cable that looks highly resistant to bending the tight bends you will want in the vehicle, as well as difficult to work with? I work with RG6, which looks similar to the cable you linked, and I would never put that in my car.

Shielding isn't as big an issue for RCAs in the car as people want to make it. Route your cables away from power sources, stay away from the fuel pump, and you're good to go.
The RCA runs are going to be short 6-8" and practically straight. If I can find that splitter "thing" for a decent price, then I'll go with a canare starquad cable. Maybe I can fabricate some "things"!? :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incase anyone was wondering, I was able to find the "splitter thing" but it was backordered for months so i went a different route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts