DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not in my experience, it’s basically a 1:1 transformer inline with the signal, I don’t go a bundle on them and normally I’d rather find a solution as in my experience it’s normally a component along the way and I’ve never had induced noise I couldn’t cure, but if it’s a unique component that’s not easily repaired and it cured it I would go with it 👍🏼 I hope it sorts it for you
well i think i've narrowed it down to the head unit itself which is Fords sync3 heavily built into the car, climate control etc all in there so not an option to replace unfortunately.

that's great if it doesn't affect the signal. i only ordered it out of curiosity to see if it helped at all, thinking i wouldn't actually use it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So i plugged in the ground loop isolator and it made no difference at all. I tried it at the head unit and also between the dsp and amp.

I also temporarily grounded the head unit at the same clean ground point as the amps & dsp. Again no improvement.

Its a constant hiss, not a buzz.

at zero volume its silent but will occassionally appear for a cpl seconds then go quiet again.

At volume setting 1of30 on headunit the hiss is loud. It doesnt get louder with the head unit volume setting. It stays a constant volume.

The dsp volume control makes the hiss quieter and louder. All the way down to setting 40of66 to get it to go away which seems very low.

Replaced/rerouted rcas, no difference.

Plugged in my phone directly to the dsp input and the sound is clean, no hiss.

Unplugged rcas at head unit and no hiss.

Any other suggestions to look at?

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Plugged in my phone directly to the dsp input and the sound is clean, no hiss.

Unplugged rcas at head unit and no hiss.

Any other suggestions to look at?
My interpretation is that this hiss appears to be coming from the HU.
Wires do not generally hiss...

in theory the thermal noise does hiss, but if the iPhone is on the same RCAs up front, then you can test that... the theory is a small amount of hiss, and only dependent on temp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
just been reading a lot on this and could it have anything to do with balanced / differential balanced inputs? struggling to find facts but looks like the head unit output is balanced (whether differential or not i don't know), and i read that the dayton doesn't accept differential balanced. but no official facts on either, just forum talk.

all over my head unfortunately but i wired the RCA myself as a simple +/- as there were 2 wires marked as such. thinking this might be wrong now? anyone know anything about the ford sync3 output?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
fwiw managed to figure out the problem with some help. the signal from the head unit is balanced but the dayton doesn't accept a balanced signal.

I bought a JL CL-RLC bass controller which accepts balanced signal and outputs unbalanced. this has done the job and given me a bass controller too as a bonus :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts