DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Honestly, I would just ditch the 3rd sub for now. Doubling displacement (doubling subwoofers) only gives a 3dB increase in output, when the power stays the same. A 3rd sub would only give you 1.5dB more output than two subs, if the power is the same. You can get an amp that is 1ohm stable and the problem is solved, order another sub and the problem is solved, or just use 2 of the subs you have.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
The Infinity Kappa subs have a switch allowing you to select 2 or 4 ohms.

Are you saying @dumdum is incorrect in his statement about equal power distribution? The only ohm loads that allow for equal power distribution with three subs are 0.67, 1.3, 6, and 12. None of those work for me.

The goal is not to end up with an even load. The goal is to have power distributed equally to each sub and maintain a load within the specs of the amp without going over 4. The Crutchfield diagram will not allow for that.
Wait, what? I must have missed something. Those subs have a switch to choose between 2 and 4 ohms?! Are they dual voice coils with a switch to short one voice coil?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.