DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Lots a miss-leading info so far so tread lightly with it.

i am not sure how a speaker can be either 2 ohm or 4 ohm.

But if i was you i would wire it at 4 ohms and follow the crutchfield wiring diagram to end up at 2.7 ohms.

I would NOT mix and match the settings on the 2 drivers, and i would NOT use only 2 of them. Use all 3.

There is no need to "end up with" an even number on the impedance. it is what it is...can't mess with physics :)

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
The Infinity Kappa subs have a switch allowing you to select 2 or 4 ohms.
i know what it says and that its a switch. I just don't know how it works. I can see if it was 1ohm or 4ohm. or if it was 2 ohm or 8ohm. But 2 or 4 is confusing to me. Once i figure that part out i will look at what dumdum said.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I still have not figured it out after years.... all i know is they make custom voice coil windings to do it
My guess was they have a D4 sub, and the switch bypasses one of the voice coils. Kind of makes me twitch to think about it.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
This is why i was trying to figure it out how this sub works. I was thinking in my head D4, and 3 D4 subs would be 2.7ohms wired in parallel. So tell me please...this sub that can be wired to 4 ohm or 2 ohm....is that 4 ohm SVC and 2 ohm SVC? Maybe include a picture of the sub and a pic of the manual?

Reactions: abizzle

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
3 S4 subs = 1.3 or 12....pass, wont work with your amp.
3 S2 subs = .66 or 6ohms.

So given all that you have said the only option that will remotely work with your amp is wiring them at 6ohms.

Not a fan of this set up at all.

Are you willing to change amps to get 1 that is 1 ohm stable?

If not go with 2 of them wired down to 2ohms.

Reactions: abizzle

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
@nyquistrate and @dumdum,

Thanks again for stopping by to help me out. The thread went off the rails last night because no one bothered to read what y’all posted. One guy had me ripping my whole system out and running 12’s at half ohm. Sheesh! I’m fine with two subs.
its not that we didnt read what those guys said, its that i had to figure out what kind of unicorn sub you had. And in the end i said the only thing that would work would be 2 subs. Just took me a little longer to get to that conclusion #papaold as my grand son loves to say LOL>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.