DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Since I don’t fully understand the purpose for two terminals on a mono amp, I have no way of knowing if what he says is true.

Can someone explain?
The purpose is only to make wiring easier. If you have a "bank" of multiple subs you have more terminals to fit all the wire on.

I was prepared to set all subs at 4 ohms and wire them series/parallel for a final ohm load of 2.3 with all subs getting equal power.
I'm not sure how you get 2.3 Ohms from a series/parallel of (3) 4 Ohm subs? Perhaps you meant 2.6 Ohms?

IIRC the switch on those subs aren't EXACTLY 2 or 4 Ohms? There's some amount of play. So I would expect a different final impedance from the series string vs single sub string in that Amazon post. You could measure to verify but that's still a DC nominal measurement. You be the judge but if the subs are sharing air space then I would parallel them all.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The leg of the circuit with sub 1 & sub 2 in series will add to an 8 Ohm load. That will draw less current (half) than the single 4 Ohm leg of sub 3 by itself. Also, subs 1 & 2 will be sharing the voltage potential across sub 3 by itself, cutting the voltage to sub 1 & sub 2 in half. So sub 3 will be working much harder than subs 1 & 2. I would choose a different wiring scheme or amp. I’ll look into the switch.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Three coils indeed, quite simple but clever
And seems like it would reduce efficiency, correct? They have extra mass that is not contributing to motor force. I'm not discrediting the sub or the novel approach, simply discussing a design consequence.

Edit: I own one of their shallow roofers with the switch. Again, not dogging the design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.