DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Impossible with 3 subs.. you will be at 1.33 ohms with them on 4 ohm mode and in parallel... the alternative is series where the impedance doubles so you would be at like 12 ohms or something silly high..

you would need four subs to get to 2 ohms... or just use two subs and call it a day.
I’m not trying to be rude, but you quoted my post and then told me the same thing I just wrote.

We’ve already established the subs can be either 2 or 4 ohm. Don’t ask me how. That’s a question for Infinity and I’m guessing they’ve published documents explaining how it’s accomplished.

I’ve already stated twice that my amp is only stable to 2 ohms and my primary goal is to get equal power to each sub while maintaining a final impedance within the amps specs and without going over 4 ohms.

With all that in mind, my choices for final impedance are 0.67, 1.3, 6, and 12. Two of those are out of spec for the amp and the other two are above 4 ohms, meaning none of them work for me.

The Crutchfield drawing, while presenting a final ohm load within spec and under 4, does not distribute power equally because Sub 3 is wired in parallel while Subs 1 and 2 are series.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
This is why i was trying to figure it out how this sub works. I was thinking in my head D4, and 3 D4 subs would be 2.7ohms wired in parallel. So tell me please...this sub that can be wired to 4 ohm or 2 ohm....is that 4 ohm SVC and 2 ohm SVC? Maybe include a picture of the sub and a pic of the manual?

Reactions: abizzle

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is why i was trying to figure it out how this sub works. I was thinking in my head D4, and 3 D4 subs would be 2.7ohms wired in parallel. So tell me please...this sub that can be wired to 4 ohm or 2 ohm....is that 4 ohm SVC and 2 ohm SVC? Maybe include a picture of the sub and a pic of the manual?
Yes they are single voice coil. The model number is Infinity Kappa 1000W if you want to look up the documentation. I’d love to hear an explanation of how the different ohm settings are achieved if you feel like replying back after you look it up. These subs are pretty popular because they’re being sold at a $100 price point and they are well built. Infinity seems to do things a bit different, but there’s science behind it. For example, their 6.5 full/mid range speakers are rated at 3 ohms because the wiring adds additional resistance to create closer to 4 ohms.

I’ve never heard a bad word about these Kappa subs. I appreciate your participation in the discussion.

Here’s a pic of the sub. The horizontal slider switch above the wiring terminal is your 2 and 4 ohm selector.

Glasses Helmet Drinkware Automotive lighting Output device

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
3 S4 subs = 1.3 or 12....pass, wont work with your amp.
3 S2 subs = .66 or 6ohms.

So given all that you have said the only option that will remotely work with your amp is wiring them at 6ohms.

Not a fan of this set up at all.

Are you willing to change amps to get 1 that is 1 ohm stable?

If not go with 2 of them wired down to 2ohms.

Reactions: abizzle

·
Registered
656 Posts
No one said that he needed an "even Ohm load." That was a misrepresentation. DumDum said "equal power to each sub" which was the same idea that I explained in different words.

Regarding the switch, it is changing the coil. The impedance increases and the Bl does, as well. So there is more coil in the 4 Ohm setting.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Someone posted about it before that knew.. I cannot remember word for word.. but I am almost certain some of the windings are enabled or disabled.. or its like two windings wound next to each other.. or dual layered...either way its not dual voice coil like two equal coils where you can wire them separately... An example of that is like the the audiofrog GB subs with their switch.. they are truly two traditional dual voice coils with the switch so a dual 4 is 8 or 2 ohms..series or parallel

someone on here was posting before that they had emailed Harman or worked there or something.. i searched i cant find the posting but that was the basics i remember about it...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
3 S4 subs = 1.3 or 12....pass, wont work with your amp.
3 S2 subs = .66 or 6ohms.

So given all that you have said the only option that will remotely work with your amp is wiring them at 6ohms.

Not a fan of this set up at all.

Are you willing to change amps to get 1 that is 1 ohm stable?

If not go with 2 of them wired down to 2ohms.
The amp is rated at 1000 RMS @ 2 ohms and 700 RMS @ 4 ohms. The speaker is rated at 450 RMS, but they do not specify at what impedance. I assume 450 RMS @ 4 ohms.

I prefer my builds to run cool and play all day. For that reason I try to power my subs according to their RMS specs at 4 ohms and run amps that generate more power than needed. I don’t blow speakers or pop fuses, or fry caps, and I have some room to grow without having to make major changes or spend major money. That formula has worked for 30 years, so I don’t see a reason to change.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Sonic says it has three coils.
Interesting. I can attest to the solid construction. The cone is extremely stiff and difficult to compress in a sealed enclosure. I’ve already been cautioned on the need for a proper break-in period.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts

Three coils indeed, quite simple but clever

·
Registered
656 Posts

Three coils indeed, quite simple but clever
And seems like it would reduce efficiency, correct? They have extra mass that is not contributing to motor force. I'm not discrediting the sub or the novel approach, simply discussing a design consequence.

Edit: I own one of their shallow roofers with the switch. Again, not dogging the design.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
And seems like it would reduce efficiency, correct? They have extra mass that is not contributing to motor force. I'm not discrediting the sub or the novel approach, simply discussing a design consequence.

Edit: I own one of their shallow roofers with the switch. Again, not dogging the design.
It depends, if they use the same weight of coil it’s very possible to acheive the same impedance of each, with thinner wire of a longer length then there would be no extra moving mass

That’s how they make d1 and d2 coils with the same moving mass as an example, it depends how the coil is made up with regard to wire diameter and length

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@nyquistrate and @dumdum,

Thanks again for stopping by to help me out. The thread went off the rails last night because no one bothered to read what y’all posted. One guy had me ripping my whole system out and running 12’s at half ohm. Sheesh! I’m fine with two subs.

Reactions: dumdum

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
@nyquistrate and @dumdum,

Thanks again for stopping by to help me out. The thread went off the rails last night because no one bothered to read what y’all posted. One guy had me ripping my whole system out and running 12’s at half ohm. Sheesh! I’m fine with two subs.
its not that we didnt read what those guys said, its that i had to figure out what kind of unicorn sub you had. And in the end i said the only thing that would work would be 2 subs. Just took me a little longer to get to that conclusion #papaold as my grand son loves to say LOL>

Reactions: abizzle and dumdum

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
its not that we didnt read what those guys said, its that i had to figure out what kind of unicorn sub you had. And in the end i said the only thing that would work would be 2 subs. Just took me a little longer to get to that conclusion #papaold as my grand son loves to say LOL>
All good bro. I thought everybody knew about those subs. About the only thing I don’t like about them is the small amount of airspace recommended for a sealed enclosure. It’s hard to find prefab boxes with .60 cubes per sub and a mounting depth of 6 11/16”. I ordered a box with .77 cubes per sub.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.