DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO GUYS,
I'm a truly beginner in car audio, very basic knowledge.

My car is an 09 honda civic, and I'm trying to improve sound quality while keeping my original radio/HU.

My system consists in:

* 2 Type X components for the front doors.
* 2 Type X 2-way speakers for the back.
* 1 RF Shallow 10 inch sub.
* Alpine PDX-5 Amp (4 channel + 1 for sub)
* And of course, hell, Alpine PEX-H660.

Since I wanted to keep the look of my car truly original, I hired a "professional" installer in order to get the job done. He did the most of the physical part very good (install looks clean, all look well place, and hidden) but I almost cry when he handed me the car last friday night and the original factory system sounded much much better!!

I get most of the sound from the rear speakers, front components baaarely sound, sub is weak.

I was present in the last part of the install, even did the steps of the PXE setup (tracks, measuring with the mic in 4 positions etc) but the car sounds just doesnt sound good as it should.

I guess this guy messed with the wiring, since I have spent most of this weekend searching the web for answers, and found this post stating that you should only wire the FRONT outputs of my HU to both left (L1 and L2) and right (R1 and R2), leaving the REAR not connected.

I quote him:

"1) The inputs for this unit do not work like any normal device; as in "this thing in equals that thing out". Make sure that you are getting a full range signal. If your factory system has only front left and right- and rear left and right (NOT Front Low- woofer; Front High- tweeter as in a factory Two Way System), hook vehicle Front Left to PXE Front Left L1 and L2. That’s right link up all three. Do the same for the vehicle right to PXE Front R1 and R2.

To review: vehicle left goes to L1 and L2, right goes to R1 and R2 (+ and -)."

Does this mean I should take the positive wire of my front left output and put it on the positive L1 in the PXE? and the negative wire of that output and put it on the negative L2 in the PXE?

Could you please explain this step for dummies like me? So I can explain it to the "professional" installer so I can get my system sound correctly?

I'm from Venezuela, not much of advanced sound shops downhere, so I would really appreciate your help on this matter.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
546 Posts
For what I remember when installing mine, the gain on the sub amp should be set to 25% when the unit is taking its measurements. Once all is done, then you turn the sub amp back up to where you want it to be. Also be sure to turn the volume up on the Imprint itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer! It will definitely help later.

But now, my real issue is the WIRING! How do I wire just the FRONT outputs of my HU to the PEX L1 L2 & R1 R2?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts