DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 4 ohm SVC 12" Kicker Subs. The RMS rating for each one is 150 watts/300 max.

I also have a 1000 watt Kenwood KAC-7205 2 channel amp stable at 4 ohms.

How can i wire these subs/amp safely with good performance?

My car is a 2000 honda accord sedan.

Dumb it down for me a bit. First time with sound systems!

Ill try to answer questions that you may have!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
all you can do is wire one sub to each amp channel..which probably wont be enough power in the long run but will make for a nice start and get your feet wet.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you wire both subs to a single channel, it will be either an 8 ohm or a 2 ohm load.

Your amp isn't capable of running at 2 ohm bridged.

One sub on each channel is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Each sub on it's own channel is the way to go as has been stated. Your amp is rated at [email protected] ohms and is CEA compliant, it's sure to be capable of producing the 150RMS each sub is rated to take with ease.

If they were use with this amp by the last owner, perhaps the person ran them wired in series to the amp in bridged mode, that too would capable of giving each close to, if not rated power. Still, I'd not go this route personally.

It's also possible the previous owner ran them wired in parallel to the amp bridged, which the amp isn't designed to be stable at 2 ohms, so it may well have ran much hotter and could have potentially jumped in and out of protect. It's also possible the amp ran just fine with the subs wired to it in parallel bridged, though that's a gamble I'd not want to take, as it could lead to damage to the subs and/or amplifier.

You could also opt to wire them in parallel, but to just one channel, which would get you around 250RMS to the pair, 125RMS each. There should be no audible difference between 125RMS and 150RMS to each sub for most.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts