DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently added a subwoofer, amp and a new head unit to my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I also have The kicker speaker upgrade which are 2 door speakers and 2 sound bar speakers rated at 75w rms each. My new head unit is a Sony XAV-AX5000 and I’m unable to turn the volume up past half without the speakers sounding heavily distorted. Unfortunately it’s not loud enough to really get the subwoofer playing so I don’t quite know what to do from here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What amp are you using, and how did you wire it?
It’s a cheap amp, but this is my first build and I installed everything myself and didn’t want to break the bank. The amp is wired with typical 4 gauge power and ground as well as remote to the head unit. This amp only powers the sub while the door speakers run strictly off the head unit.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
What are you using as a music source (CD, AM/FM, mp3)? Even with head unit power, they shouldn't sound that bad at half volume. Did you use an adapter harness to install the stereo, are your wires terminated correctly, is there a change you have some bare wire touching something in the dash, does the sub continue to play fine even when the speakers distort, it is one speaker, or all speakers (open your doors and put your ear to each one, don't just assume).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the same head unit and at 23 and it's pretty loud for me. Are you talking about the volume with the top off the Jeep and driving? It sounds like you might need to re-adjust the gains on the amp...or might need another amp.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you using tone controls/eq/loudness on the radio to increase the bass?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts