DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Start all of your measurements from the center of the head rest and measure to each speaker, record all of the values.
The furthest speaker away from you will not have a TA value, it will be zero. Subtract the next smallest value from the zero channel and enter the difference for that channel. Do that for all of the remaining channels and you will be very close.

· Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start all of your measurements from the center of the head rest and measure to each speaker, record all of the values.
The furthest speaker away from you will not have a TA value, it will be zero. Subtract the next smallest value from the zero channel and enter the difference for that channel. Do that for all of the remaining channels and you will be very close.
thanks

· Registered
10,858 Posts
For some reason I've always wanted to measure the speaker wire lengths when I do time aligment.
Don't worry about the wire length. When I first started learning about this stuff I thought the same thing, but electricity flows at the speed of light, it would take miles and miles of wire to even have a measurable effect on the timing of the signal.

· Old Schooler
1,683 Posts
I don't measure at all...I just play pink noise through the mids only and slowly delay the closest speaker until the sound "comes together" in the center of the stage. The last system I set up for a member here showed a 5.5" difference on the headunit when the image was centered (using my ears) however when measured there was actually a 15" path length difference between the speakers! :eek: This is another reason I prefer to "use my ears" as opposed to "relying on the numbers".

· Registered
2,951 Posts
Are you measuring line-of-sight from the drivers to the head rest (aka shortest distance between the two points) or are you drawing straight lines in the air and then changing the direction of travel every time the line hits a surface (like a laser)?

· Old Schooler
1,683 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.