1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
There's no way it needs to be anywhere near that large. Probably around 2 ft3 or so. What frequency were you looking to tune the port to?

I'd bet a parameter was entered wrong.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Went on to Win ISD online version, found that:

~19 cubes sealed,

14.8 cubes ported, tuned flat at 19hz.

This is a PEAKY sub, dude. The only way to flatten it out is to put it in oversized boxes.

The manuals show the peak themselves! I wouldn't use it if you are after SQ, unless you have some strong EQ abilities.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
^^^^Those specs don't even make sense. The ported enclosure would be much smaller than the sealed one?

Either that sub is a total POS with real screwy parameters, or they have them listed wrong.

If those graphs are showing the actual response of the sub in those enclosures, not in car or anything, just the subs behavior in the enclosure, those subs are useless.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourth, where did you find the online version? That would be great to have

Thanks for running it too.

Those numbers match what I had pretty close, but it was late at nite.

89, like I said, it was late and my thoughts were I entered something wrong too, but I did it twice...

They probably are crappy subs, but if you read the first link in my first post, its what he can afford. I may try to find a single used Type R or something, but working on this much of a budget really narrows things down...

Matt

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
It is quite simple, 89 grand. Quite simple. The sub is designed by Kenwood to be peaky as all hell. In fact their pdf shows this on their graphs. WinISD online and Pro both shoot for a flat response, so they optimize the box to suit this. In this case, the sub has a tendancy for a smaller (but still massive) box ported. I bet this thing would sound decent in a TL, though. That's just a guess.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
...Which if you have an EQ with a lot of cut, you CAN use it effectively. But if you don't, I'd sell these.

·
Registered
134 Posts
this may be a dumb idea but here goes

4th order band pass
Rear chamber volume 56 L or 1.977 cuft
Front chamber volume 36.8 or 1.271 cuft

one port 10.2 cm dia 21.35 cm long

you will have to watch the power you give it and it will need a sub sonic filter.

This might have too much Cone excursion too.

R-

Sorry if this is dumb

Do you have one or two of these?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this may be a dumb idea but here goes

4th order band pass
Rear chamber volume 56 L or 1.977 cuft
Front chamber volume 36.8 or 1.271 cuft

one port 10.2 cm dia 21.35 cm long

you will have to watch the power you give it and it will need a sub sonic filter.

This might have too much Cone excursion too.

R-

Sorry if this is dumb

Do you have one or two of these?
I have 2, one at my house and one at a buddies house.

Dang! Oh well...how about selling/trading those subs and getting something else used in the same price range that'll work better for his application?
...Which if you have an EQ with a lot of cut, you CAN use it effectively. But if you don't, I'd sell these.

I may end up doing just that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have 2, one at my house and one at a buddies house.
If you put th two drivers face to face (iso Barik) in the 4th order BP I suggested then cone excursion wont be a problem up to 200W per each driver.

This box is probably a stupid idea here is a transfer function curve.

Text Line Pattern Design Plot

What if any limitations are there on size? I have an equally stupid design for 6th order BP iso Barik.

You could just build the box they way Kenwood suggests.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Isobaric Ported may be the golden ticket!

I need to model it at home since Win ISD online doesn't do this, but IMO you could probably get your ideal flat curve and still get a semi-small box.

IMO, selling them may be easier than all this work, but if you REALLY want to try to maximize these particular subs, then maybe we should work on an ISO setup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have WinISD at work and I'm bored iso vented @ 2 cuft didn't look that much better the just sealed at 1.5 cuft to me but I'm not that smart ether.

What did you have in mind for an iso vented box size.

Is the OP trying to make the sub response be flat?

R-
Text Line Pattern Design Pattern

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Well it is a Blazer, so it has some cabin gain potentially. But ideally you'd want a flat shelf of response that goes as low as possible. This is per Andy and he knows his ****.

I will fire it up at home in a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First off, thanks guys for the ideas and comments.

I am doing this build to help the kid out, and he wants some boom, so flat isnt really an issue. I certainly wont be using the subs in anything I do, however...

That said, I just hopped in the car, took the one I have here down to the pawn shop, and they gave me about 5 bucks more than I paid for it on Craigslist, so I let them have it.

Space isnt an issue, nor is the build complexity, however, I am not going to get too complicated when I can find a pair of Kicker Comp subs on the cheap all day long.

To be continued with a different sub or subs... I found a Solobaric L7 at a pawn shop with a "broken spring" that I may be picking up...

That oughta get loud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts