DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if your sub has a rating of 1000w duel coil. can you run a 500W amp to each coil?

I am not going to try this but it is one of those ?s i wanna know.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yes but make sure your gains are matched 100% perfectly. I've seen many people use 1 amp per coil. But at 1000 watts, wouldn't 1 amp be easier and cheaper?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've always advised people to avoid doing this. For fear of one amp going out, the other not knowing any different, and continuing to operate normally. Plus having to match the gain levels, exactly.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've heard this for years that if you run 1 amp per coil on a DVC sub you have to have the output matched by setting the gains, but can anyone explain this in foolproof scientific terms? I'm not saying I have the correct answer, but it seems to me it won't really matter. I think it's more important to have the polarity correct than to try to match wattage. As long as the coil is energized at the same time A/C is A/C to the magnetic force the coil is creating.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Play some pink noise and put a good quality multimeter on the speaker terminals at the amp and set the voltages exactly the same for both channels. Or to play it safe you could run your voice coils in series on your sub then bridge the amp

·
Registered
130 Posts
that only works with a single amp. if you run 2 amps they need set to the same voltage so they are not working against each other. the amps need to be matched on the output and be fed a mono signal.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Play some pink noise and put a good quality multimeter on the speaker terminals at the amp and set the voltages exactly the same for both channels. Or to play it safe you could run your voice coils in series on your sub then bridge the amp
wrong...:bash:...read the question again:confused:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
that only works with a single amp. if you run 2 amps they need set to the same voltage so they are not working against each other. the amps need to be matched on the output and be fed a mono signal.
winner winner chicken dinner...:rockon:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Again, I ask WHY? "not working against each other" isn't an answer, it's repeating the same thing "everyone" else has said for years.

I did a Google search for "2 amps 1 sub" and out of a dozen or so pages I looked over not one of them offered a clear explanation behind the recommendations. Obviously this isn't an exhaustive search, but it's a start.

What I want, and what everyone should be asking at some time, is to learn the foolproof explanation backed by facts. Not only to hear factual reasons why an idea is good or bad, but to then be able to explain to someone else exactly what is going on.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Again, I ask WHY? "not working against each other" isn't an answer, it's repeating the same thing "everyone" else has said for years.

I did a Google search for "2 amps 1 sub" and out of a dozen or so pages I looked over not one of them offered a clear explanation behind the recommendations. Obviously this isn't an exhaustive search, but it's a start.

What I want, and what everyone should be asking at some time, is to learn the foolproof explanation backed by facts. Not only to hear factual reasons why an idea is good or bad, but to then be able to explain to someone else exactly what is going on.
Please report back when you come up with a sound answer....:p

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've heard this for years that if you run 1 amp per coil on a DVC sub you have to have the output matched by setting the gains, but can anyone explain this in foolproof scientific terms? I'm not saying I have the correct answer, but it seems to me it won't really matter. I think it's more important to have the polarity correct than to try to match wattage. As long as the coil is energized at the same time A/C is A/C to the magnetic force the coil is creating.

You are correct that it wont matter unless they are off by a significant margin. The output of each amp if playing the same signal will add together and can never fight each other unless wired in opposing polarity. They will add / sum together even if off by a large margin. But if the signal level from one voice coil is significantly lower than the other VC there will be parameter shift in the driver similar to only running a single Voice Coil this will raise the Qe and Qts of the driver which will alter the sound of the subwoofer system.

Eric

·
Registered
745 Posts
I remember there was an article about this in one of those car audio magazines when dual voice coils subwoofers were becoming popular back in the days.

if your sub has a rating of 1000w duel coil. can you run a 500W amp to each coil?

I am not going to try this but it is one of those ?s i wanna know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts