DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Hello all long time reader first thread so please dont flame. I am building a ms-8 based install in my 06 passat and am having trouble picking drivers. I am going semi active in the front (passive mid and tweet in a-pillar so I can use my voce av k6 for rears) and active midbass. i have the new voce 3" already and cant decide whether the ml1600 or 165xl would make a better midbass (80-315hz in fully deadened doors)Is the ml1600 that much better than the xl's? looking for opinions from anyone who has heard both in a 3 way setup. Also debating whether to get another voce tweeter or step up to ml280 (4500+ from the passives)mid and tweet will be powered by soundstream stl4.500 and the midbass by a stl2.560(debating building a false floor and grabbing a ref4.760 and ref4.920 to power everything, subwoofer is hx300). I apologize if this is a lil all over the place, but I appreciate any experience anyone has

· Registered
93 Posts
Re: hertz comparison questions

That's a super narrow question. How many folks on the planet would have heard both those in a 3-way set-up, for example? Doubt you'lll get an answer, but hope you do.

Hello all long time reader first thread so please dont flame. I am building a ms-8 based install in my 06 passat and am having trouble picking drivers. I am going semi active in the front (passive mid and tweet in a-pillar so I can use my voce av k6 for rears) and active midbass. i have the new voce 3" already and cant decide whether the ml1600 or 165xl would make a better midbass (80-315hz in fully deadened doors)Is the ml1600 that much better than the xl's? looking for opinions from anyone who has heard both in a 3 way setup. Also debating whether to get another voce tweeter or step up to ml280 (4500+ from the passives)mid and tweet will be powered by soundstream stl4.500 and the midbass by a stl2.560(debating building a false floor and grabbing a ref4.760 and ref4.920 to power everything, subwoofer is hx300). I apologize if this is a lil all over the place, but I appreciate any experience anyone has

· Registered
28 Posts

I was told by a Hertz dealer that the ML1600/280 are no longer available to order, pending a revamped model line. Take it as you may, and I'm sure you can get the speakers/tweeters from somewhere with inventory, but wanted to give you a head's up, in case it helped with your decision.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

appreciate the heads up on the availability. I apologize for how narrow the question is, just figured i would give it a shot. using the search I found individual reviews, but was hoping someone has heard both the xl and the ml1600. At this point I am leaning towards the xl since it will only be playing midbass duties. still on the fence with the ml280 though.

· Registered
979 Posts

ive owned both sets and in a 3 way i would prefer the ml1600 over the 165xl. reasoning is the ML 1600s sound alot better on the low end, the higher end is where the XL shines and when you have a 3 in the equation as well, i rather the low end then the more from the upper end of the midbass.

my thoughts both together in a 2 way set the mills arent as pronounced in the snare department where the XL's werent able to play down to 40hz like milles can. The part of the milles that felt like they were missing should sound alot better then the XLs in a 3 way environment rather then the XL wanting to play the same as the 3"

· Registered
1,746 Posts

Confirmed that the ML1600/280 is no longer available. Tried to order a set this week for a customer and was told it was no longer available, and that they are unsure when the new line will release. I believe we will all find out at CES in January....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.