DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Can anyone tell me if the Hertz HPD4 can be bridged into two channel for a 2 ohm load. In other words, I have two 10" subs DVC, 4 ohm + 4 ohm wired for for 2 ohms. If so ...where can I get the wiring intructions for this. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
According to their websiteHERTZ by Elettromedia - Special Car Stereo it can handle a 2 ohm load. According to the equipment stated you would be looking at a 1 ohm load not a 2 ohm load. The HDP 4 is not listed as being 1 ohm stable. Here is a handy website that gives help on wiring subwoofers. Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams. However you can wire your subs up for a 4 ohm load and get 500w on 2ch bridged.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to their websiteHERTZ by Elettromedia - Special Car Stereo it can handle a 2 ohm load. According to the equipment stated you would be looking at a 1 ohm load not a 2 ohm load. The HDP 4 is not listed as being 1 ohm stable. Here is a handy website that gives help on wiring subwoofers. Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams. However you can wire your subs up for a 4 ohm load and get 500w on 2ch bridged.
Ok ... I went to see my installer this afternoon. I basically asked him if he can re-wire both subs to 4 ohm, so I can get 500w x 2 from my HP4. His response was that it won't sound as good. He said that having two 10" DVC 4ohm + 4ohm subs wired in a 2 ohm configuration @ 250 watts x 2 will sound better than if it was wired in a 4 ohm configuration @ 500 watts x 2. Is there any frigging truth to this or is my installer just not wanting to do much of anything today??? My Subs are rated at 500watts min, 1000watts max. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Ok ... I went to see my installer this afternoon. I basically asked him if he can re-wire both subs to 4 ohm, so I can get 500w x 2 from my HP4. His response was that it won't sound as good. He said that having two 10" DVC 4ohm + 4ohm subs wired in a 2 ohm configuration @ 250 watts x 2 will sound better than if it was wired in a 4 ohm configuration @ 500 watts x 2. Is there any frigging truth to this or is my installer just not wanting to do much of anything today??? My Subs are rated at 500watts min, 1000watts max. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks again!
I don't fully understand the logic, but I can comment on the situation. So you have two 4ohm DVC subwoofers? The bad news is that you can't wire each for 4ohm. It can be either 2ohm or 8 ohm. So you can't use a bridged set of channels to power a subwoofer unless it's wired for 8ohm, but being wired for 8ohm means you get roughly 50% of the power you could get at 4ohm. So what you can do is wire each subwoofer for 8ohm, then each connects to a bridged set of channels. A second possibility, once the subs are each wired for 8ohms, wire them together in parallel for 4ohm load, and connect both to one set of bridged channels. You end up sending about 500-600 to this set of subs, leaving the other two channels unused.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't fully understand the logic, but I can comment on the situation. So you have two 4ohm DVC subwoofers? The bad news is that you can't wire each for 4ohm. It can be either 2ohm or 8 ohm. So you can't use a bridged set of channels to power a subwoofer unless it's wired for 8ohm, but being wired for 8ohm means you get roughly 50% of the power you could get at 4ohm. So what you can do is wire each subwoofer for 8ohm, then each connects to a bridged set of channels. A second possibility, once the subs are each wired for 8ohms, wire them together in parallel for 4ohm load, and connect both to one set of bridged channels. You end up sending about 500-600 to this set of subs, leaving the other two channels unused.
Zakoh ... Actually it's possible to wire my 2 10" DVC (4 ohm + 4ohm, each sub) to 4ohm. My only question really is if there's any truth to what my installer is saying? Thanks and hope to get your comment and other s as well.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If you have two 4 ohm dvc subs then that would only allow you to have a mono load of either 1 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm and finally 16 ohm.

So if you have the subs right now in stereo at 2 ohms each channel....then just bridging it to a single 4 ohm load will not make much of a difference power wise.....it will be ths same power output.

Either the installer knows this and that's why he didn't want to messes with your wiring and didn't bother too explain it to you or he probably doesn't know and doesn't care.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have two 4 ohm dvc subs then that would only allow you to have a mono load of either 1 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm and finally 16 ohm.

So if you have the subs right now in stereo at 2 ohms each channel....then just bridging it to a single 4 ohm load will not make much of a difference power wise.....it will be ths same power output.

Either the installer knows this and that's why he didn't want to messes with your wiring and didn't bother too explain it to you or he probably doesn't know and doesn't care.
It looks like I better apply my HPD4 to take care of my components and find myself a good 2 channel sub amp that will be happy at a 2 ohm load. It seems like that's the direction I should be heading.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Zakoh ... Actually it's possible to wire my 2 10" DVC (4 ohm + 4ohm, each sub) to 4ohm. My only question really is if there's any truth to what my installer is saying? Thanks and hope to get your comment and other s as well.
Yes, you can wire 2 4ohm DVC subwoofer for 4ohm impedance. But you will be using only one set of channels to drive both subwoofers. I thought your goal was to use all of amplifier channels.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you can wire 2 4ohm DVC subwoofer for 4ohm impedance. But you will be using only one set of channels to drive both subwoofers. I thought your goal was to use all of amplifier channels.
Thanks for persisting along with me on this. Correct me if I'm wrong...but my understanding is that once I bridge my 4ch. Hertz HPD4, I won't have any channels available (which I'm fine with). Basically, my 4 channel will become a 2 channel amp. Actually ... my whole point of this thread was to see:
1.) How I can use my amp in a configuration that gives my 500w x 2 @ 4ohm. This has been solved by xXTX_ChallengerXx.
2.) This is almost a "theoretical question" which is the only way I can describe it based on what my installer keeps telling me. He has my subs wired in a 2 ohm load, which is giving my subs 250 watts to each sub. I asked him to wire the subs in a 4 ohm configuration, bridge my 4 ch. to 2 channel and that would give me 500w x 2 @ 4ohm. Here's the "theory" part: He says it will sound better in a 2 ohm configuration even if only 250w is going to each sub. He said that in a 4 ohm configuration with 500w going to each sub will not sound good. Any truth to this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks for persisting along with me on this. Correct me if I'm wrong...but my understanding is that once I bridge my 4ch. Hertz HPD4, I won't have any channels available (which I'm fine with). Basically, my 4 channel will become a 2 channel amp. Actually ... my whole point of this thread was to see:
1.) How I can use my amp in a configuration that gives my 500w x 2 @ 4ohm. This has been solved by xXTX_ChallengerXx.
2.) This is almost a "theoretical question" which is the only way I can describe it based on what my installer keeps telling me.

He has my subs wired in a 2 ohm load, which is giving my subs 250 watts to each sub. I asked him to wire the subs in a 4 ohm configuration, bridge my 4 ch. to 2 channel and that would give me 500w x 2 @ 4ohm. Here's the "theory" part: He says it will sound better in a 2 ohm configuration even if only 250w is going to each sub. He said that in a 4 ohm configuration with 500w going to each sub will not sound good. Any truth to this?

Thanks!

Hold on a minute......How many subs do you have? Because there is no way a 4 ohm dvc sub could have a final load of 4 ohms by itself.

So right now are you using all four channels (the way your installer wired it)?

I believe your missing a very valuable point here.

I took a look at your amps manual and by the looks of it your not going to be able to get more than 600 watts from it with two 4 ohm dvc subs.

Get a mono amp if you really want more juice. Make sure its 1 ohm stable, if not then at 4 ohms since those are the only two loads you'll end up with....with your subs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hold on a minute......How many subs do you have? Because there is no way a 4 ohm dvc sub could have a final load of 4 ohms by itself.

So right now are you using all four channels (the way your installer wired it)?

I believe your missing a very valuable point here.

I took a look at your amps manual and by the looks of it your not going to be able to get more than 600 watts from it with two 4 ohm dvc subs.

Get a mono amp if you really want more juice. Make sure its 1 ohm stable, if not then at 4 ohms since those are the only two loads you'll end up with....with your subs.
Again ... I need to thank you guys for sticking with me on this. I DO appreciate it!

1.) I'm using 2 subs.
2.) Using only 2 channels. The other two channels are not being used.
3.) I'd be happy with 500 w -600 w going to each sub. But again...my installer is under the opinion that how he wired it at 2 ohm, even if that means that my amp is only feeding my subs 250 w each, will sound better than if he wired the subs to 4 ohm, which based on the design of the HPD4, will feed my subs 500 w to each sub. So, any truth to my installer's theory?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would like to know how the f**k he is wiring 2 4 ohm dvc subs for 2 ohm? I think if he is feeding you that bs then he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you bridge 2 ch on the HDP 4 and wire your subs for 4 ohm you have 500 watts going to your subs. If I were you I would take the subs out of the enclosure and see how they are wired. Here's a picof what they should look like. Red the 4 ohm option and notice how there is no 2 ohm load listed. How would putting 500w on 2 subs sound worse than 250w? The way I see it as long as you don't have the gain cranked on the amp putting distortion to the subs they will sound the same but louder at a lower volume.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to know how the f**k he is wiring 2 4 ohm dvc subs for 2 ohm? I think if he is feeding you that bs then he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you bridge 2 ch on the HDP 4 and wire your subs for 4 ohm you have 500 watts going to your subs. If I were you I would take the subs out of the enclosure and see how they are wired. Here's a picof what they should look like. Red the 4 ohm option and notice how there is no 2 ohm load listed.
This weekend, I'll take the subs out of the car and take some pics. My installer's attitude stinks...but I need to give accurate information so my problem can get solved...the odd thing is that based on his wiring, I saw him use a meter to check that each sub reads a 2 ohm load...and it did show 2 ohm. So, until I take the subs out and take some pics, this 2 ohm wiring on two DVC 4 ohm subs is still a mystery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to know how the f**k he is wiring 2 4 ohm dvc subs for 2 ohm? I think if he is feeding you that bs then he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you bridge 2 ch on the HDP 4 and wire your subs for 4 ohm you have 500 watts going to your subs. If I were you I would take the subs out of the enclosure and see how they are wired. Here's a picof what they should look like. Red the 4 ohm option and notice how there is no 2 ohm load listed. How would putting 500w on 2 subs sound worse than 250w? The way I see it as long as you don't have the gain cranked on the amp putting distortion to the subs they will sound the same but louder at a lower volume.
It seems that it's possible:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2-DVC-4-ohm-4-ch-low-imp.jpg

But the only difference is that my amp isn't bridged as the picture shows in the above link.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
This weekend, I'll take the subs out of the car and take some pics. My installer's attitude stinks...but I need to give accurate information so my problem can get solved...the odd thing is that based on his wiring, I saw him use a meter to check that each sub reads a 2 ohm load...and it did show 2 ohm. So, until I take the subs out and take some pics, this 2 ohm wiring on two DVC 4 ohm subs is still a mystery.
I think you are misunderstanding your installer since you do not fully understand how ohm loads work. His attidude does not actually stink. He is telling you factual info but you are not wanting to hear it.

It would be very beneficial for you to take a step back and try to LEARN how all this works. You do not have the basic understanding here and everyone has tried their hardest to TEACH you how ohm loads work.

Your amp is only capable of delivering 500w x 2 when each of those 2 channels is connected to a 4 ohm load. Your speakers are not able to be wired to a 4 ohm load individually therefore you can not put a 4 ohm load to each of your amps 2 channels. Because of your subs you can only make 1 channel worth of a 4 ohm load and therefore can only make 1 channel of the amp produce 500w.

Now if you had 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs then you could wire each one to each of the 2 bridged channels and then those 2 channels would be able to put out 500w each.

What I am getting at and so are the others is that your installer is COMPLETELY CORRECT since your current setup does not allow for a 4 ohm x 2 config. You are limited by the ohm load of your subs right now to a max of 500w whether it be via 1 channel of the amp at 500w or via 2 channels of the amp at 250w per channel.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Read the warning in the diagram. Your amp is not capable of running 2 channels bridged at 2 ohms for each of those two channels. That warning is specifically for amps like yours.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you are misunderstanding your installer since you do not fully understand how ohm loads work. His attidude does not actually stink. He is telling you factual info but you are not wanting to hear it.

It would be very beneficial for you to take a step back and try to LEARN how all this works. You do not have the basic understanding here and everyone has tried their hardest to TEACH you how ohm loads work.

Your amp is only capable of delivering 500w x 2 when each of those 2 channels is connected to a 4 ohm load. Your speakers are not able to be wired to a 4 ohm load individually therefore you can not put a 4 ohm load to each of your amps 2 channels. Because of your subs you can only make 1 channel worth of a 4 ohm load and therefore can only make 1 channel of the amp produce 500w.

Now if you had 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs then you could wire each one to each of the 2 bridged channels and then those 2 channels would be able to put out 500w each.

What I am getting at and so are the others is that your installer is COMPLETELY CORRECT since your current setup does not allow for a 4 ohm x 2 config. You are limited by the ohm load of your subs right now to a max of 500w whether it be via 1 channel of the amp at 500w or via 2 channels of the amp at 250w per channel.
Ok ...since you were so quick to demonstrate how "insightful" you are. It's my turn:

1.) His attitude does stink ... For some reason you decided to presume that my reference to my installer's attitude is somehow related to me simply asking a question but getting an answer that I'm not satisfied with. I'm not looking for an answer that "satisfies" me. I'm just looking for an answer that is accurate and with an explanation. And in fact, my reference to my installer's attitude has to do with him letting drive away in my car after the install with my car plates vibrating like there's no tomorrow (when in fact he knew it was) and when I returned 30 minutes later to ask him why didn't he dynamat the plate? His response was, "the rattling wasn't much". So ... nothing in my post or follow up to my post made specific reference to why I thought my installer's attitude stunk. But in your all knowing wisdom...you concluded that I simply didn't like the "factual info" my installer gave me.

2.) I resent that you've implied that I don't appreciate or value the people on this forum that have offered their input. Who the hell are you to come riding in as a knight in shining armor to defend people that need no defending? I've only demonstrated complete respect (unlike yourself) to the members of this forum and appreciation for their time and input. And as with MOST post and with MOST topics ... other questions arises and clarifications are needed ... nothing different from the other million posts on DIYMA. I think you're the one that needs to "take a step back".

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Fair enough and please forgive me on the installer part. But the fact remains that we all are trying to explain to you the wiring options tht you have and that they limit you to 250w per sub with this amp no matter what.

Like others, I DID post info that is trying to help you to see this wattage fact. You linked to the diagram above as a confirmation that you CAN get 500w per channel in bridged config and thus get 500w per sub but unforetunately that is nt correct. So I posted your links pic and suggested that you take note of the warning part. This is all in an effort to help but I am sorry that my method was not so great.

I do have one question and I am prett ysure you are not going to like it but I am going to ask anyways so maybe you see that you too are partially to blame here.

Why, if your installers attitude had nothing to do with the wiring, is that the only time you ever reference your installers attitude. We can only go by what you post so please keep that in mind moving forward.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts