DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set in my focus and I'm having problems with the tweeter being entirely too bright on the driver's side. I'm very happy with the set other than that. The tweeters are on my a-pillars. I'm using the passives that came with the set. They're running off of an ARC KS300.4, head unit is a Pioneer Premier DEH-P980bt. I've backed the passives down to -2 on the left, and set the right to +2 to get some balance. I've also tried wiring the left tweeter out of phase, tried angling the right tweeter more towards me... still no luck, it just seems too damn bright. I can't find my t/a mic for the head unit anywhere and I'm not sure how much it would help either. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've run into this problem most times that I've installed the HSK components. The HT25 tweeter is really aggressive.

I've emailed our Hertz sales rep and Elettromedia directly over this and have yet to recieve a response.

Sadly, running them active or adding an external processor to EQ them down seems to be the only real solutions I've been able to come across so far.

I suppose you could add additional padding resistors to the existing passive crossover, but I have no real idea how to go about choosing the correct resistors for acceptable padding.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess I could run them active but now they've disappointed me lol. Is the tweeter with the Mille set much better? Or the audison voce? I might just sell my hsk and move to the voce or Mille but I don't want to if neither have a much better tweeter...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw, the plan was to run them active eventually anyway

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was quite unhappy with my set of hsk165's when I first heard them in my truck, but after a month or so they really seemed to settle down, there now not so ear piercing, im actully quite happy with them now.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Focal usually have their tweeters crossed around 4kHz 18dB/oct yet some find their tweeters agressive...

The HSK set has it crossed @ 3.3kHz 12dB/oct which is way too low IMO. I bought this same set to do a comparo between a DLS RM6.2 and the HAT Imagine:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1182147-post5.html

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was quite unhappy with my set of hsk165's when I first heard them in my truck, but after a month or so they really seemed to settle down, there now not so ear piercing, im actully quite happy with them now.
You know it's seems so strange but mine have grown on me too. The first day or two I was literally cringing even at lower volume levels, but now they seem fine. Have my ears adjusted? Can tweeters break in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know it's seems so strange but mine have grown on me too. The first day or two I was literally cringing even at lower volume levels, but now they seem fine. Have my ears adjusted? Can tweeters break in?
Same, I listen to some rap and the highhat tick was so sharp I wouldnt even listen to them at a moderate volume. I turned down my eq around 6 to 8k hz and they really sound decent. I asked the same question about break in on here, and a couple guys said that they do break in and sound better over time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts