DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for 2 way active components and came across these. Not sure if this is a good deal, but seems like it is...
ABT.com has the Hertz ML1650.3 for $349 (reg $735) and the ML280.3 for $199 (reg $450). Everywhere else I see these components for is quite a bit more.

Are these as good as the regular price would indicate?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just from comparing prices online it definitely appears to be a good deal for brand new gear. Might switch my plans from AF gs series to this today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just from comparing prices online it definitely appears to be a good deal for brand new gear. Might switch my plans from AF gs series to this today.

The GS series is a little bit cheaper, but I am wondering if these are more comparable to the GB series.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The GS series is a little bit cheaper, but I am wondering if these are more comparable to the GB series.
The GS series with similar sized speakers is only about $32 cheaper on Crutchfield when including a local tax of 6%, for those who may wonder why I would even compare the two lines. Surmising from the readings on here and other reviews about the Mille line I expect a performance gain to be much greater than $32. Given the price diff between the GS/GB line on Crutchfield and the current sale on ABT for the Mille, this is a no brained for me.

It will be interesting to hear from people that have experienced both to chime in and give their thoughts about 1) if they are comparable and I’ll add 2) if the significant price difference is worth it.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are interested in the AF GS or even the GB series, check with user Niebur3 on here and the other forum. He is an authorized vendor and offers good prices.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are interested in the AF GS or even the GB series, check with user Niebur3 on here and the other forum. He is an authorized vendor and offers good prices.
Thinks Mike. I’ll look into this.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I came across the deal on abt's site this evening as well and my jaw went down slightly.

I have the comparable component set that sells for over a grand at full retail and can report they sound very nice combined with a Helix dsp.2 with some 'tuning' applied. They have decent mid bass and don't take up much space so that is a plus if you are looking to install in doors. Hertz has a nice line with their ML series, I really like my ML2500 as well, true SQ subwoofer that performs well in it's frequency range. Unfortunately I cannot report on the AF gear. For the price point you can't go wrong on these drivers, in fact I say you are better off passing on the ML280.3 tweets and just going with the mid bass driver set. Personally, I'd prefer these drivers active with a pair of Tempo 10 tweets crossed around 3027 hertz for a simple 2 way application over the ML280.3 tweets. Hertz also has a nice ML700.3 mid driver but abt is slowing letting Hertz, Helix and Audison go from their product lines probably due to lack of customer support.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
After further site surfing they have the ML2000.3 for only $399. That is a damn good deal for that 8" subwoofer. Those subwoofers sound so nice and they like lots of power with minimal air volume.. what's not to like. Not sure how well these sold at a grand but at less than half retail and still get the warranty and support.. damn.

Peter did a test on one he had mounted in his Honda's glove box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I came across the deal on abt's site this evening as well and my jaw went down slightly.

I have the comparable component set that sells for over a grand at full retail and can report they sound very nice combined with a Helix dsp.2 with some 'tuning' applied. They have decent mid bass and don't take up much space so that is a plus if you are looking to install in doors. Hertz has a nice line with their ML series, I really like my ML2500 as well, true SQ subwoofer that performs well in it's frequency range. Unfortunately I cannot report on the AF gear. For the price point you can't go wrong on these drivers, in fact I say you are better off passing on the ML280.3 tweets and just going with the mid bass driver set. Personally, I'd prefer these drivers active with a pair of Tempo 10 tweets crossed around 3027 hertz for a simple 2 way application over the ML280.3 tweets. Hertz also has a nice ML700.3 mid driver but abt is slowing letting Hertz, Helix and Audison go from their product lines probably due to lack of customer support.
This is the second time I’ve read about someone not liking the tweets. What is it that you didn’t like about them? Why weren’t you able to tune them to your liking? Guess I shouldn’t do anything permanent when mounting these before listening to them. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
This is the second time I’ve read about someone not liking the tweets. What is it that you didn’t like about them? Why weren’t you able to tune them to your liking? Guess I shouldn’t do anything permanent when mounting these before listening to them. Thanks for the heads up.

Don't get me wrong.. I like em, just having other sets around that I like better makes it difficult for me to even fork over a couple hundred bucks for them. They are nice tweets but I think Hertz should have hit it out of the park with them. The Tempo 10 is the most comparable tweeter at far more expense but the difference is night and day. The Tempos just sound more clear, less muffled, and bring the sound out more to your ear. Not bright just you hear more in the music with the tempos vs the ml280.3. I guess my poor ml tweets had some stiff competition going up against beryllium domes and Sinfoni gear but keep in mind at only $200 they are worth the coin, probably tough to beat at that price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. I like em, just having other sets around that I like better makes it difficult for me to even fork over a couple hundred bucks for them. They are nice tweets but I think Hertz should have hit it out of the park with them. The Tempo 10 is the most comparable tweeter at far more expense but the difference is night and day. The Tempos just sound more clear, less muffled, and bring the sound out more to your ear. Not bright just you hear more in the music with the tempos vs the ml280.3. I guess my poor ml tweets had some stiff competition going up against beryllium domes and Sinfoni gear.
Oh ok. Fortunately for me this is the most high end set of speakers that I’ve ever owned lol. I do plan to get the 700 as well perhaps that will add to the quality of sound rather than just be another speaker.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Oh ok. Fortunately for me this is the most high end set of speakers that I’ve ever owned lol. I do plan to get the 700 as well perhaps that will add to the quality of sound rather than just be another speaker.

For the money I would recommend getting two ML2000.3 subs a pair of the ML1650.3, 700.3 and the 280.3 for a complete four way. Abt can probably get the ML700.3 set but they no longer have them on their site. It's too bad Abt did not have more support because for a while they were open to the idea of carrying more overseas brands that many on diyma crave. At this point I think abt's mobile audio dept. has found they don't care to explore too much with new products, at least for now given the stuff doesn't move. If you call them up they are actually very willing to negotiate full retail pricing, not sure if Crutchfield does that but I have always found abt a pleasure to do business with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For the money I would recommend getting two ML2000.3 subs a pair of the ML1650.3, 700.3 and the 280.3 for a complete four way. Abt can probably get the ML700.3 set but they no longer have them on their site. It's too bad Abt did not have more support because for a while they were open to the idea of carrying more overseas brands that many on diyma crave. At this point I think abt's mobile audio dept. has found they don't care to explore too much with new products, at least for now given the stuff doesn't move. If you call them up they are actually very willing to negotiate full retail pricing, not sure if Crutchfield does that but I have always found abt a pleasure to do business with.
I have the 1650.3 from abt. Went with the GS12s for the subs going in a sealed box. I’m a bargain hunter and figured for the price of the subs why not. Didn’t think about abt acquiring the 700s even though they’re not listed on their site. I’ll have to shoot them an email. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I registered my tweeters for warranty with hertz it showed that they were shipped to the US, to abt I assume, in June of 2018. So that’s a yr and a half on the shelf. I don’t know how often inventory turns over in the car audio industry but that seems like a long ass time.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I bet those AF GB subs will sound awesome!

Dan is always diligent and easy to work with, his email.. [email protected]

Yeah I don't think this stuff sells and people don't bother to call up and try and work a deal out. Many large retailers will just stick to their guns until the powers that be make the decision to put the stuff on clearance but I have found that if you call and speak with that department (mobile audio) they are willing to work some good deals on many items. There are some guys that work in that dept. pationate about car audio unfortunately they are going to be limited to selling Focal, Mosconi, JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc. before long and that is it.. main stream US gear (Focal/Mosconi has proven to move to the US market with success even tho as a company they suck, have some nice gear but they suck).

·
Registered
84 Posts

Yeah I don't think this stuff sells and people don't bother to call up and try and work a deal out. Many large retailers will just stick to their guns until the powers that be make the decision to put the stuff on clearance but I have found that if you call and speak with that department (mobile audio) they are willing to work some good deals on many items. There are some guys that work in that dept. pationate about car audio unfortunately they are going to be limited to selling Focal, Mosconi, JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc. before long and that is it.. main stream US gear (Focal/Mosconi has proven to move to the US market with success even tho as a company they suck, have some nice gear but they suck).
Will reach out and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts

Hey @bbusch I tried that email address but it came back as undeliverable. Is it correct?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts