DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a Novice when it comes to audio and have some questions about power handling.

I recently purchased the Hertz MPK165.3 for my Mercedes A-Classe (W176) but am uncertain if my current set-up can handle these speakers.
2 years ago an audio company added a subwoofer and the Match M5DSP Mk2 to my OEM sound System. They also changed some wiring.

The speakers can handle 110W RMS each but the M5DSP has an output of 60W RMS x 4 @ 4Ohm. Do I need to purchase another Amplifier or can I postpone that purchase? I'd like to keep my DSP so how can I combine it with a new amp and do you have any suggestions? I'm on a budget : )

There's so much info online and the car audio shops near me gave mixed advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This component set is 4ohm. You're likely only going to get around 30W to the speakers. With a 92db efficiency in the confines of a car you can hit 100db with a bit of headroom.
That might be enough unless you like listening at high volume levels. The danger lies in the fact that the amp is underpowered. As long as you realize this and don't drive it to the point of distortion, you will be ok. The Hertz set is very good you will enjoy the sound. So maybe upgrade the amp later on if you feel you need more power.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You will want to bridge the 4 channel.
If it is 60x2 at 2ohm then it should be good for at least 100x2 and that's pretty good for those hertz.
They will bang on 100 watts a side.
Or you could Ditch the passives and run the set active.
But the extra power bridged bring an added benefit of power that in your case I believe outlays the benefits of using the dsp for the xovers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
From Crutchfield:

"MidPower and HighPower modes
The MATCH M 5DSP comes ready to connect to your vehicle's factory wiring via a vehicle-specific wiring harness and a MATCH PP-ISO 2 cable (both sold separately). Because of the power limitations of factory wiring, this amplifier ships set to MidPower mode — 35 watts RMS output per each front and rear channel. You can switch the amplifier safely to HighPower mode and get 60 watts output per channel only if you use separate 10-gauge power and ground wires for the amplifier's installation."

So depending on your power wiring, you can run it in high-power mode and get 60W x4 into 4ohms. Can't be bridged and is only 4ohm stable.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
From Crutchfield:

"MidPower and HighPower modes
The MATCH M 5DSP comes ready to connect to your vehicle's factory wiring via a vehicle-specific wiring harness and a MATCH PP-ISO 2 cable (both sold separately). Because of the power limitations of factory wiring, this amplifier ships set to MidPower mode — 35 watts RMS output per each front and rear channel. You can switch the amplifier safely to HighPower mode and get 60 watts output per channel only if you use separate 10-gauge power and ground wires for the amplifier's installation."

So depending on your power wiring, you can run it in high-power mode and get 60W x4 into 4ohms. Can't be bridged and is only 4ohm stable.
Well....that really limits the usage here. Especially since it's pre-wired.
You couldn't cut the harness on the output and rewire and then remap the outputs of the dsp?
Seems simple enough.
But if the software can't be configured differently then....
Idk....I would sell it and go a different route.
Those hertz really need the power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They changed the wiring when installing the DSP so I assume they enabled High Power mode but not sure.

Can I buy a new amp with sufficient Power and still keep the DSP or is that useless. Sound changed a lot after it was installed so I imagine it will be even better with new powerful speakers

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would go ahead and install the speakers. See how it sounds but you will need to re-tune after that. Are you familiar with adjusting the DSP yourself? If not, then you will need to pay someone to adjust it for you.
In the end if you are still not satisfied, then you will need a new DSP and a new amp.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
They changed the wiring when installing the DSP so I assume they enabled High Power mode but not sure.

Can I buy a new amp with sufficient Power and still keep the DSP or is that useless. Sound changed a lot after it was installed so I imagine it will be even better with new powerful speakers
Go ahead and put them man. Do you have access to or know how to utilize the dsp software?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen some videos of tuning the DSP but not more than that. Hopefully I'll be able to do it myself as my local car audio guy asked 1k for installing, tuning and sound deadening.

One more question about the wiring. I'm aware that installing the passive crossover isn't necessary when you have a DSP but I'd prefer it that way. It seems I still have factory wiring, do I need to connect the fat black and green cables to the IN of the cross over and then wire new cables from the woofer and tweeter to the cross over? What about the current connector that goes to the speaker when I use the crossover?

Thanks a lot in advance
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive design Reflex camera

1 - 9 of 9 Posts