DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Hertz Mille ML2500 10" sub that I plan on using in an Infinite Baffle setup (since my trunk is so small and with the ski pass through in my E46 BMW 323Ci this is the best set up). I am looking for recommendations on how much power I should send to the ML2500. Usually the rule of thumb is about 50% of the RMS limit for IB but some subs can take close to the limit (For the ML2500 in an enclosure Hertz recommends 600 RMS / 1,200 peak). I want to be safe but I also don’t want to compromise the sound quality by not giving the sub enough clean power. I love my Hertz ML1600 / ML280’s and having heard great things about this sub I decided to go with the Mille (when I found one used) to complement the other Mille speakers. I am also planning to do a center channel with (2) ML700 / ML280 combination running everything active.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I recently purchased a Hertz Mille ML2500 10" sub that I plan on using in an Infinite Baffle setup (since my trunk is so small and with the ski pass through in my E46 BMW 323Ci this is the best set up). I am looking for recommendations on how much power I should send to the ML2500. Usually the rule of thumb is about 50% of the RMS limit for IB but some subs can take close to the limit (For the ML2500 in an enclosure Hertz recommends 600 RMS / 1,200 peak). I want to be safe but I also don’t want to compromise the sound quality by not giving the sub enough clean power. I love my Hertz ML1600 / ML280’s and having heard great things about this sub I decided to go with the Mille (when I found one used) to complement the other Mille speakers. I am also planning to do a center channel with (2) ML700 / ML280 combination running everything active.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
The best "help" you can get in this case is to learn how to tell for yourself by modeling it. There are several options out there, but I like WinISD and UniBox (both free downloads--just search google). You will enter the T/S parameters, put the "box size" as the volume of your trunk, and keep increasing power until you exceed xmax.

Knowing the answer is better than any "rule of thumb" or trusting somebody else to give you the right answer...it just takes a bit of work to get. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best "help" you can get in this case is to learn how to tell for yourself by modeling it. There are several options out there, but I like WinISD and UniBox (both free downloads--just search google). You will enter the T/S parameters, put the "box size" as the volume of your trunk, and keep increasing power until you exceed xmax.

Knowing the answer is better than any "rule of thumb" or trusting somebody else to give you the right answer...it just takes a bit of work to get. ;)
I tried to do what you recomended but ran into problems. 1st I had the wrong version of WinISD so I did not have the ability to analize the sub properly and then when I seem to find the most recent (read compete) version of WinISD it would not accept the manufacturer's data as accurate. It would tell me that my information was in error but I checked what I put in over and over so the Hertz data must have flaws in it. :mad:

When I tried unibox I was getting an error that asked me to verify some certificate to make sure the program was legit. :(

I think at this point I would like to purchase a JL Audio HD900 which puts 500 watts into the sub but I want to be sure this makes sense before I do it. :confused:

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You need to just fill in some of the T/S specs and let it calculate some. Play around with it and check that whatever it calculates matches up reasonably well to the manufacturers specs. If you try to specify all of the specs, it will not match up exactly with the program calculations and give you an error. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You need to just fill in some of the T/S specs and let it calculate some. Play around with it and check that whatever it calculates matches up reasonably well to the manufacturers specs. If you try to specify all of the specs, it will not match up exactly with the program calculations and give you an error. Good luck!
I agree. Only enter Qes, Qms, Fs, Vas, Re, Le, Sd, and Xmax. If you tab over the rest, it will fill them in for you.

Also, you won't need that 500w to push that Hertz past it's limits IB. I'm running (2) 12's IB and only need 300w or so to power them. I'm a fan of the HD amps though, so it's not a bad purchase even if you don't need all the power it puts down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts