DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... after my second trip to give these comps a good listening too, i'm not that impressed. i know sound is subjective, but those comps are lacking something. tweeter is very detailed and airy... decent midrange... totally lacking in kick-drum. the drc-sl was played for well over an hour and we still couldnt get a sound that i could live with. they were powered by high quality zapco c2k amps and sound deadened all to hell and back. for those who listen to mostly metal, and rock... look elsewhere these comps are not for you.

ps. these comps were ran active and paired up with dynaudio subs.

i'm in the market again for an active front stage. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
well... after my second trip to give these comps a good listening too, i'm not that impressed. i know sound is subjective, but those comps are lacking something. tweeter is very detailed and airy... decent midrange... totally lacking in kick-drum. the drc-sl was played for well over an hour and we still couldnt get a sound that i could live with. they were powered by high quality zapco c2k amps and sound deadened all to hell and back. for those who listen to mostly metal, and rock... look elsewhere these comps are not for you.

i have been running a set of mlk's for just over a year and they do sound real good,but they just do not have any "oomf" below 125 hz[guestimate]...and they do drop sharply output-wise below 100hz.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
depends on your budget and speaker size you are looking for.
big$ front stages>dyns,scanspeak and hybrid audio.
budget front stage>peerless,b&c,usher...
best thing to do is research this giant database of knowlege and experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Your in Atlanta? Get on the phone with Hybrid Audio Technologies, they are based in Cumming GA and are super people to deal with. I am sure Scott Buwalda can direct you to someplace local you can hear his fantastic product. If you want midbase out of a small driver the L3 and L4 are off the charts and the Midbase Claris driver from his introductory ranged line has found its way into some of the top SQ comp cars in the world.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think i need to take a close look at some dynaudio's... for the money their pretty hard to beat. wish hybrid fell in the same category. i just dont think the peformance justifies the price

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
The Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS components have a great midbass response from the few vehicles I have heard that were running them. The only downside is that you will probably hate the tweeter :(

ETA: As for tspence.... He runs his components passive, his subwoofers @ 1 ohm mono, has no time alignment, and wonders why no one respects his opinion on the Infinity Reference line:rolleyes:

ETA2: How can an elite car audio setup be hard to find in Vegas? Don't they host both SEMA and CES which have top notch demo vehicles from all the manufacturers and custom shops? Don't they have IASCA and MECA SQ competitions in Vegas? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already concluded that no mass market type drivers sound better than the Infinity Ref comps to me. So, you guys keep saying I need to hear a 'real system'. So, I'd like to. You can be my guest and call around to any shop in Vegas and ask them if they have RTA or an O-scope. I called around and none of them have any such pro-equipment.

Also, I went to several well-recommended install shops and checked out the installer's vehicles. NONE of them use anything other than mass-market equipment and NONE of them are tuned in any manner that I would consider 'decent'.

my first comps were infinity refs.... between those and the infinity perfects they are the worse tweeters i ever heard. absolute garbage.... zero midbass and highs that will make your ears bleed.

cant believe you would recommend those comps :(

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
5150 II- Just curiouse what the x-over freq. you were running them at.

The Dynaudio are fan fav. and IMO have a good bottom end in the larger driver.

I am getting ready to fire up the HAT L6 in a couple weeks to see how they do.

I am running the HSK165 in my car and they do well down to 65hz @ 18db. I have tried the ML165 in the same car but have never ran them through the ringer persay, I did see how low I could cross them over and that was about it.

I do agree that I would not say they have a huge bottom end or that it is very pronounced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5150 II- Just curiouse what the x-over freq. you were running them at.

The Dynaudio are fan fav. and IMO have a good bottom end in the larger driver.

I am getting ready to fire up the HAT L6 in a couple weeks to see how they do.

I am running the HSK165 in my car and they do well down to 65hz @ 18db. I have tried the ML165 in the same car but have never ran them through the ringer persay, I did see how low I could cross them over and that was about it.

I do agree that I would not say they have a huge bottom end or that it is very pronounced.
i listened to the hat l6's in john marsh's(scott buwalda's assistant) car... i wasnt thaat impressed. seems like buwalda's gear is more for competing rather than daily driving listening. to me... comp cars play flat sound like arse.

as for the x-over crossing i'm nit sure. jeff smith was playing with the eq settings. i iwll say the vocals sound like their right in your face. great midrange... just totally lacked in kick-drum

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe they aren't for everyone. Maybe you just don't know how to use the -3db option on the crossover or the EQ on your headunit? That's not my fault if you don't know how to adjust for taste. The tweeters on the Refs are silk dome. Very smooth but highly efficient.

hmmm... i played with those comps for 3 months before i ran them over with my girls jeep. i dont care of if you spray expanding foam over the tweeter they will still make you run for cover. the kapa perfects are even worse. i guess if your into mega high pitch tweets for rap you can appreciate them. if your headbanger like me... listen to mostly metal, those comps will deffinently contribute to permanent hearing loss

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so what did you do with the millie's?

they were in jeff smith's car... not mine. he likes them prett good. i heard them in another car in houston the first time. didnt like the sound. i figured i'd get he best listening experience in jeff's car because he's a sq competitor. the speakers just arent for me. wish the were because they look sexy as hell
:(

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Antoher Option:

You also might try the Rainbow Profi. Kicks. Give them a listen see if they fit your taste.

All the Hertz Mille and Hi-Energy stuff I have listened to fit my taste.

I have not been impressed with the stuff below the Hi-energy Line though.

I did take the ML165 driver down to 31.5hz @ 18db testing them without a major issue though. I still agree though that the Hertz roll off on the lowend but will dig deep though. They are different on the lowend though than many others but will play down below 100hz without a problem with a steep slope.IMO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Antoher Option:

You also might try the Rainbow Profi. Kicks. Give them a listen see if they fit your taste.

All the Hertz Mille and Hi-Energy stuff I have listened to fit my taste.

I have not been impressed with the stuff below the Hi-energy Line though.

I did take the ML165 driver down to 31.5hz @ 18db testing them without a major issue though. I still agree though that the Hertz roll off on the lowend but will dig deep though. They are different on the lowend though than many others but will play down below 100hz without a problem with a steep slope.IMO

hmmm... i thoght about those too... i need to find me a dealer and listen to some. my only concern with them is the tweet. i hear their pretty brite. any dealers hear for rainbow lurking on this forum? i know sixspeed is. he want sell me zapco or dynaudio because jeff smith is a dealer in my area. sixspeed is cheaper too. SUX!!!! :(

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Tspence-

Axis has nothing to do with PLD's or T/A.

I will let MVM handle the passive reply. I don't feel like dealing with you any longer on any topic.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have regretfully installed many many pairs of those infinitys over my time. Probably as least 50 in all types of locations, and all types of installations.

I can here say i have NEVER been impressed by a single pair. They might have decent midrange but the rest of the set sucks. While there midrange is decent they are far from the best ive heard even for mainstream and entry level components.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
You're incompetence shines through yet again.

Can the baffle a driver is placed on impact the response? Does the enclosure matter? Can the listening environment can impact the sound? How about placement relative to the other drivers?

How do your pre-made passive crossovers account for such factors?
The job of a crossover isn't to account for those. The job is to split the frequency range to the appropriate driver. I could ask the same about the active crossover built into amps. The passive crossover can effect phase and other characteristics, but that is why the manufacturer chooses the parts for their passives. For THOSE issues, not for accounting for placement, etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes however depending on location environment etc a different crossover point or even slope on the same driver in the same location can have better results.
Therefore by having passives you have no choice. Active is a different story which is why it is a huge advantage

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
AFAIK crossovers aren't designed for a vehicle, they are designed for the speakers. And all manufacturers worth a darn know how to make a passive crossover for their comps. Especially a company as long standing as Infinity.

Angling speakers puts them on-axis. Imaging I've found is much better on-axis. If I'm wrong then shoot me. :rolleyes:
AFAIK??

The problem is what you know is limited, but you're representing yourself as an expert while displaying less than sufficient knowledge to warrant that title.

I'm not getting into a lengthy crossover debate with you. The information is plastered all over this site with my rantings and ravings.

Just because nobody has offered to meet up with you doesn't mean you can keep derailing threads.

Fine you like the Infinity comps. You feel no need to change. Fine. Yet, when you try to justify your like for them with objective analysis, that you're incapable of providing accurately, then you come across as a pontificating airhead.

Please stop it. I'm at the point where I will take some form of drastic action if you do not cease and desist. You keep yourself right on the edge of being banned. You don't do anything overtly offensive, just stupid. I'm pretty sure there's no precedent here for banning based on stupidity. Please don't set that precedent.

·
(((((((In Stereo)))))))
1,337 Posts
Ban this clown at once.

He argues against the science behind car audio, and he doesn't even DIY. The anti-DIYMA.

That said, Spense, I know you'd like to think you're the kid saying the emperor wears no clothes, but you're the exact opposite - a blind guy shouting in the commons how tight his gear was AFTER he got called out. And based on your obvious closet tendencies you probably would argue to keep a man's pants off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts