DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I will be performing a interesting comparison between the following 6.5" component sets:

Massive Audio ZK6
Rainbow SL-C6.2
Helix E62C.2
Hertz HSK165
Morel Tempo Ultra 602
JBL P660C

My test bench consists of the following:

Source: Kenwood KDC-X997
Amplifier: EFX 250C2 (100X2 @ 4 ohms, and 125X2 @ 2 ohms)

I am not the best writer so be easy on me! :) I have always been wanting to do a comparison between some of the lower priced tier components and some of the mid level priced components. It will be intriguing to see how they stack up to each other. I will be performing on axis and off axis evaluations of all the speakers and provide a detailed description of the sound signature of each set. I will also be using an rta to measure each set and will post the results. Just for fun I am going to do a blind a and b comparison. I will have one set on one channel of the amplifier and vice versa (our ears do not lie). By doing this I am trying to ultimately decide which set stands out the best. Some of the product is still being shipped to me from all parts of the world. I predict it will be 1-2 weeks before I have all the product and everything setup. Feel free to ask any questions as I will do my best to answer them to the best of my ability. If anybody is local to me I am more than happy to audition all the sets (from what I recall I do not think this mixture has ever been done before).

David

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I will be performing a interesting comparison between the following 6.5" component sets:

Massive Audio ZK6
Rainbow SL-C6.2
Helix E62C.2
Hertz HSK165
Morel Tempo Ultra 602
JBL P660C

My test bench consists of the following:

Source: Kenwood KDC-X997
Amplifier: EFX 250C2 (100X2 @ 4 ohms, and 125X2 @ 2 ohms)

I am not the best writer so be easy on me! :) I have always been wanting to do a comparison between some of the lower priced tier components and some of the mid level priced components. It will be intriguing to see how they stack up to each other. I will be performing on axis and off axis evaluations of all the speakers and provide a detailed description of the sound signature of each set. I will also be using an rta to measure each set and will post the results. Just for fun I am going to do a blind a and b comparison. I will have one set on one channel of the amplifier and vice versa (our ears do not lie). By doing this I am trying to ultimately decide which set stands out the best. Some of the product is still being shipped to me from all parts of the world. I predict it will be 1-2 weeks before I have all the product and everything setup. Feel free to ask any questions as I will do my best to answer them to the best of my ability. If anybody is local to me I am more than happy to audition all the sets (from what I recall I do not think this mixture has ever been done before).

David
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/137591-6-7-mid-woofer-subjective-listening-test-results-pdf-attached-1st-post.html#post1731357

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/138485-4-midrange-comparison-shootout-results-thread.html

and if your using an enclosure. Be sure to read this.

Diffraction Doesn't Have to be a Problem

The first two links are a very good source of how to properly test speakers. For instance. Putting all of them in the same size box is pointless as each speaker has an optimal enclosure volume due to TS specs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sub'd. Very interested as well. I will be in the market for a 6.5 component set soon and, unfortunately, I don't have local dealers for some of this brands. Very interested to see the comparison!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Sub'd. Very interested as well. I will be in the market for a 6.5 component set soon and, unfortunately, I don't have local dealers for some of this brands. Very interested to see the comparison!
Check out the links I posted for high end stuff

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be adding a set of Realm LS6c components to the mix. Its going to be 1-2 weeks before I have all the products delivered. Awaiting the helix and rainbow from Germany and the Morel from Israel.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much air space do you think the average door panel have?

·
Wave Shepherd
2,374 Posts
How much air space do you think the average door panel have?
Large enough that it won't influence the behavior of the woofers in a significant way. The best way to do this would be on a very large baffle with no enclosure on the rear. The larger the baffle the better (six foot+ diameter circle would be a goal to aim for). If you can build a big one like that, then you can make quasi-anechoic measurements to get the on and off axis frequency response measurements. Then you need to splice those together with measurement from less than an inch from the woofer's dust cap to get a good measurement of the bass.

This entire process of making quality measurements is not very straight forward or easy to do. But if you're trying to make the best use of the equipment you have and the chance to review the gear you will will have access to, then it's worth trying to do your best, right? You can learn all of these things from Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D’Appolito. It's very affordable and written in plain English for the average enthusiast to learn from.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Large enough that it won't influence the behavior of the woofers in a significant way. The best way to do this would be on a very large baffle with no enclosure on the rear. The larger the baffle the better (six foot+ diameter circle would be a goal to aim for). If you can build a big one like that, then you can make quasi-anechoic measurements to get the on and off axis frequency response measurements. Then you need to splice those together with measurement from less than an inch from the woofer's dust cap to get a good measurement of the bass.

This entire process of making quality measurements is not very straight forward or easy to do. But if you're trying to make the best use of the equipment you have and the chance to review the gear you will will have access to, then it's worth trying to do your best, right? You can learn all of these things from Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D’Appolito. It's very affordable and written in plain English for the average enthusiast to learn from.
I just purchased that book and Loudspeaker Design Cookbook to further expand my testing methods. Reason I wondered about the air space is because some vehicles have extremely well sealed door panels other than the window gasket at the top. Would that still act like an Infinite Baffle instead of a sealed enclosure? I am guessing, 1.5 cubic feet air space on average in a fairly well sealed door?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up an Alpine spx-17ref componenet to add to the review, person at garage sale had them still with a car toys price tag on them for $450 lol. The set is missing some tweeter mounts I was able to get them for pennies on the dollar.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you going to do with the left overs? Im interested in the morel and alpine ;)
Probably keep some and sell others.

·
Wave Shepherd
2,374 Posts
I just purchased that book and Loudspeaker Design Cookbook to further expand my testing methods. Reason I wondered about the air space is because some vehicles have extremely well sealed door panels other than the window gasket at the top. Would that still act like an Infinite Baffle instead of a sealed enclosure? I am guessing, 1.5 cubic feet air space on average in a fairly well sealed door?
Those two books are faaaantastic. Good job.

What you describe would behave like a "large" leaky box. The woofer will act more similarly to an infinite baffle install more than a sealed box, and some of the rear wave will mix with the front wave causing some amount of cancellation. The exact frequencies and attenuation can vary, but it's usually the lower octaves and the amount is proportional to the amount of air leakage.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those two books are faaaantastic. Good job.

What you describe would behave like a "large" leaky box. The woofer will act more similarly to an infinite baffle install more than a sealed box, and some of the rear wave will mix with the front wave causing some amount of cancellation. The exact frequencies and attenuation can vary, but it's usually the lower octaves and the amount is proportional to the amount of air leakage.
So not really a true sealed enclosure nor a true infinite baffle. In between the two?

·
Wave Shepherd
2,374 Posts
Pretty much. If the airspace is large enough it will not have a significant effect on the behavior of the woofer. If also the rear wave is completely separated from the front wave, then you have an infinite baffle. If the airspace is small enough to effect the behavior of the woofer, then you have a "large" sealed box. Smaller still and you get a traditional sealed box where the airspace augments the soft parts of the woofer and the behavior is (hopefully) what you want. If the rear wave can interact with the front wave, then you have a leaky enclosure and some cancellation will occur. If the rear wave augments the front wave in a way that benefits you, then you might have a tuned leaky box and if you do it just right by using the appropriate math, you get a ported enclosure, or maybe some variation of a horn or transmission line or one of many other kinds of enclosures.

And some combination of anything between is possible, which is what a somewhat large leaky car door with non-rigid walls is. It is not ideal or optimized for anything in particular, but it can work well enough that most people still enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Adding PHD FB 6.1 KIT PRO to the comparison.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Change of plans, will be powering the component sets with a gladen rs150c2, much better quality reference point

1 - 20 of 103 Posts