DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
when you get all of the speakers, you should designate a whole day to re-testing them all in the same day
definitely going to try to do, my wife is going to kill me though lol

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I agree with what you are suggesting but after years of home audio I find the op listening to all in semi same conditions and your ears will tell you what you like very valid. Now that won't be the same for everyone but it will be pretty consistent to the op. Unless a set is pure garbage that everyone agrees has major faults people will gravitate to those sets with less faults then settle on the ones that fit their preference. The only thing I suggest when the last few are whittled down spend extra extra time on the third or fourth place sets that might not have the whiz bang, twizzle, our other wow factor that impresses at first but requires lots of time to experience the true character. These are actually the most livable and provide the best long term enjoyment for most. or as I call it the sonus faber and vandersteen effect

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I agree with what you are suggesting but after years of home audio I find the op listening to all in semi same conditions and your ears will tell you what you like very valid. Now that won't be the same for everyone but it will be pretty consistent to the op. Unless a set is pure garbage that everyone agrees has major faults people will gravitate to those sets with less faults then settle on the ones that fit their preference. The only thing I suggest when the last few are whittled down spend extra extra time on the third or fourth place sets that might not have the whiz bang, twizzle, our other wow factor that impresses at first but requires lots of time to experience the true character. These are actually the most livable and provide the best long term enjoyment for most. or as I call it the sonus faber and vandersteen effect
very well said, thank you!

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
I just added the inifinity kappa perfect to the mini reviews, I also revised some of the ratings and reviews, as I listen to more speakers I have a broader reference of poor vs great quality.

Iinfinity kappa perfect 6.1: Infinity kappa perfect 6.1: First impressions great build quality! The midbass driver is very adequate, smooth sounding but lacking in detail however can handle power very well. The tweeter can be bright if on axis, however the crossover has plenty of adjustment options to control the output. The off axis response of the tweeter is adequate but not great, you will have to use the crossover to boost the tweeter if off axis anymore than 30 degrees. The tweeter does not like being crossed too low as well, even on the passive crossover provided it lacks very fine detail on the lower end of its frequency band. This is still a nice set of speakers by all means but just does not have the level of detail you would expect. 6.5/10

Massive zk6: This set doesn't deserve my time to write a review they are that bad. Do not waste your time, midbass extremely muddy, tweeter is poor quality. 1/10

Alpine type x ref: The midbass was ok, lacked low end authority, and did not like too much power. I was expecting a higher level of detail from the midbass which is simply did not deliver. The tweeter did have top end sparkle but was not the cleanest sounding. The tweeter did not handle off axis as well as some of the others. The build quality of the set was very impressive though. 4.5/10

Hertz HSK 165: The midbass is very unique, it responded fast, was able to play low (not as low as the realm), handle power, and produced a clean full bodied midrange, probably the cleanest sounding midbass of the group so far. The tweeter had excellent off axis performance, had the top end sparkle when needed however at times sounded a tad harsh, little to much sibilance at times, the tweeter was definitely the weak point of the set. The build quality of the set is fantastic. At times can sound too analytical. Overall a very impressive set. Solid 7.5/10

Morel Tempo Ultra: The midbass was the weakest link. It has great low end response however lacked the clarity and fast attack when compared to others. The midbass also could not handle as much power. The tweeter is the shinning gem in this set. Had great top end sparkle, great off axis response, but definitely unique to a specific sound signature. The tweeter could use some more output of the upper midrange to make it sound more full. I would say 5/10 (the midbass needs improvement)

PHD 6.1 Pro: UPDATED ***Turns out the crossover was bad (retested with similar crossover)*** UPDATED: I would define this set as extremely well rounded, very well balanced. The midbass had great low end extension, fast attack, clear, and could handle power. The tweeter had a full body sound, clear, lacked a very minor amount of the top end sparkle but very clean sounding tweeter. The tweeter had great off axis performance, and was crossed low so allowed for a great sound stage and imaging. Highly recommend this set. 8.25/10

Polk MM6501: I am highly impressed with this set. The midbass is definitely great to use in a car setup due to being tailored to infinite baffle. Had great low end extension, extremely fast lower midrange, loved power, however started to break up on certain songs around 3,400+ hertz and in turn lost some detail. It also was a tad too saturated around 2,800-3,200 hertz. The tweeter performed very well, it had good off axis performance, and great top end sparkle, and extremely clear (at time maybe a tad too much high end sparkle). I would say this is probably the most fun set out of the group (does really well with electronic/techno music), even though it is not necessarily the clearest. I would rate a solid 7/10

Realm LSC6: Out of the entire group this set could handle power the best. The midbass had the best low end extension out of the group, was extremely clean sounding, however not as fast reacting. The tweeter had the most top end sparkle out of all the sets however is crossed so high it has poor off axis performance and is not practical to use in a vehicle unless you are doing custom fabrication to aim the mid and tweet in the kick panel together. I wouldn't call this set a reference quality but definitely a great sound set of speakers. If I were competing in sql I would be running these. I think I am going to make some bookshelf speakers for my study with these. I would rate 6.5/10

Focal 165AS: This set had the classic Focal sound signature, great dynamics, high end sparkle and very clear sounding. The midbass lacked low end output however had was very clear but weirdly not very tight sounding. The mid played so high up due to a high crossover point which left a poor soundstage. The tweeter played very clear however again, because of how high crossed the soundstage was very poor. The tweeter also performed poorly off axis. I would rate 5.5/10

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Not sure if the DLS is going to happen, placed the order through the DLS USA however never received any shipping info. I called them and they are saying they are out of stock of the item and tried upgrading me but really downgrading lol. I refused and they are refunding me, be warned, the DLS USA website is not accurate and the company servicing DLS in the US won't contact you, you will have to reach out to them.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
DLS Update: They found one set and let me know they are going to send them to me.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
thanks for doing this comparison..
I have always wanted to be able to do this, be able to have so many various brands at so many various price points and just base this off the sound quality. Granted everyone hears differently but I am trying to be as unbiased as possible.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I was finally able to test the DLS RC6.2

DLS RC6.2: The packaging the speakers come in is very well laid out. The build quality of the crossovers and tweeters are very good, however there were defects with one of the midbass drivers. The magnet was uneven with the basket. This left me only being able to play one side of the set. The tweeter could be considered on the brighter side (not ear peircing bright but definitely biased). It had great clarity and resolution. The midbass had a lot of output. I wouldn't say it was the clearest midbass out of the group but far from the worse, definitely better than the infinity kappa perfect midbass. The set handled power very well and never lost control or broke up. If you are on a budget this could be a contender. I rate this set 7/10

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Been listening to the Rainbow SL-6.2C for the last two days, will post mini review tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
What's your opinion on the rainbow,s..Looking to purchase a set of components and im happy to come across your tread.
I am very impressed with the Rainbow's. Their build quality is top notch, tweeters sound great, and the midbass had a lot of output. My only con would be on the mid/lower lines lack clarity on the midbass driver, noticable around 3,000-4,000 hertz.

Sorry guys I have not posted in a while. Been in and out of the hospital.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I have started to review speakers again, slowly getting back into it. I have revised my ratings and reviews as well as adding a review of the rainbow set.

Massive zk6: Do not waste your time, midbass extremely muddy, tweeter has no life, stay away. Def 1/10

Alpine type x ref: The midbass was ok, lacked low end authority, and did not like too much power. The tweeter did have top end sparkle but was not extremely clean sounding. The tweeter did not handle off axis as well as some of the others, very sensative. 4/10

Hertz HSK 165: The midbass is very unique, it responded fast, was able to play low (not as low as the realm), handle power, and produce a clean full bodied midrange. The tweeter had excellent off axis performance, had the top end sparkle when needed however at times sounded a tad harsh (not too often though). The build quality of the set is fantastic. Would define this more of a reference set out of the group so far (at times can be too analytical, best way to say can come off sometimes dry sounding if that makes sense). Overall a very impressive set. I would rate a solid 8/10

Morel Tempo Ultra: The midbass was the weakest link. It has great low end response however lacked the clarity and fast attack when compared to others. The midbass also could not handle as much power. The tweeter is the shinning gem in this set. Had great top end sparkle, great off axis response, but definitely unique to a specific sound signature. The tweeter could use some more of the upper midrange to fill it out. I would say 5/10 (the midbass needs improvement)

PHD 6.1 Pro: I would define this set as very well rounded. No one characteristic out performed the other, everything was extremely well balanced. The midbass had good low end extension, fast attack, clear, and could handle power. The tweeter had a full body sound, clear, but did lack some of the top end sparkle. This set would definitely be for the person who gets fatigued by too much top end sparkle since the tweeter naturally rolls off early. I am sure you could boost those frequencies with an eq to get a little more of of it. Because of the value, I would say 7/10

Polk MM6501: I am highly impressed with this set. The midbass is definitely great to use in a car door setup due to being tailored to infinite baffle. The midbass had great low end extension, extremely fast lower midrange, loved power, however had a pitfall; it started to break up on certain songs around 3,400+ hertz and in turn lost detail. It also was a tad too saturated around 2,800-3,200 hertz. The tweeter performed very well, it had good off axis performance, and great top end sparkle, and extremely clear (maybe at times a tad too much high end sparkle). I would say this is probably the most fun set out of the group (does really well with electronic/techno music), even though it is not necessarily the clearest. I would rate a solid 6.75/10

Realm LSC6: Out of the entire group this set could handle the most amount of power. The midbass had decent low end extension, was average in the midrange (midrange was over saturated) and not as fast reacting as the others. The tweeter had the most top end sparkle out of all the sets however is crossed so high it has poor off axis performance and is not practical to use in a vehicle unless you are doing custom fabrication to aim the mid and tweet in the kick panel together. I wouldn't call this set a reference quality set but definitely but not a poor sounding set, definitly the most average of the group. If I were competing in sql I would be running these due to the shear power they can handle. 5.75/10

Focal 165AS: This set had the classic Focal sound signature, great dynamics, high end sparkle and very clear sounding. The midbass lacked low end output and the crossover allowed the midbass to play into the higher end freqeuncies in which it starts to breakup some. The tweeter was crossed very high which inhibited the soundstage possibilities, however, the tweeter had great clarity. I would rate 6/10

DLS RC6.2 (Re-reviewed with new set): The packaging the speakers come in is very well laid out. The build quality of all the components is great for the price point. Out of all the sets I have reviewed I would rate these my favorite so far. The midbass had great power handling (right behind the realm), great low end bass extension and output; however, they lacked ever so slightly in the higher midrange (easily boosted with the eq). Very impressed with the midbass driver due to it being a metal cone speaker, probably the cleanest sounding metal cone speaker I have heard yet. The tweeter is definitly designed for off axis response, it has a steady slope increasing the higher the frequency increased. The crossover does come with a -3db setting which will tame the tweeter if being used in an on axis install. The tweeter is extremely clear, and loves power. The sonic signature of this speaker set is pure bliss to me, great bass output, fast attack (drum solos are amazing!), and great top end extension. Not to mention the price you can grab this set is one of the lowest of the group. Solid 8/10

Rainbow SL-6.2C: The midbass and tweeter construction gave great first impressions, great build quality. The midbass had above average output, above average low end extension, however started to breakup a little in the higher midrange frequencies (The aluminum cone showing its trade offs). The tweeter had great clarity and excellent top end sparkle. It did not like power as much as the DLS though, output is more limited than other sets (don't get me wrong, still plenty loud!) Great set of speakers, a top contender. 7.25/10

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
You can't say Hertz is good on here. That's the devil.
You should try the XL. The tweeter can play lower so it takes some of the top end harshness out.

·
Registered
17,665 Posts
I don't know if it's been asked before, but are you tuning each setup to the same response?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
:thumbsup:
Op, did you just ask manufacturers to send you samples for testing at no cost or you are funding this testing yourself getting a wholesale or lower price to be able to do it?

61 - 80 of 103 Posts