DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Hertz Space 8 mid? I am currently using the hsk 163 line of speakers but would like some better midbass response and my doors will fit 8in speakers. Another member on the forum was selling some DLS iridium 8 but a local shop can get me the space speakers for around the same price. I am currently using the passive xovers provided by the hsk 163. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have listen to the Space 8 on several occasions and was not impressed at all. IMO the HSK165163 set was a lot better.

You would think for an 8" they would have some great bottom end but they do not at all. Only thing I can figure is the slim design limited was able to be done. However I did not even like their overall sound, it was thin/hallow sounding, midrange was lacking and overall not pleasant to listen to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have listen to the Space 8 on several occasions and was not impressed at all. IMO the HSK165163 set was a lot better.

You would think for an 8" they would have some great bottom end but they do not at all. Only thing I can figure is the slim design limited was able to be done. However I did not even like their overall sound, it was thin/hallow sounding, midrange was lacking and overall not pleasant to listen to.
Hmm...I guess Space 8 is out the window. Thank you for the information Genxx. I have also been looking at the Hsk 200L to replace the mid in my 3 way. Does anyone have any experience with the Hsk200L?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I owned a set of the Space 8 components and they were decent performers. The tweeter was the shining star of the set and the mid was just average. It does not have a lot of excursion for an 8. My ID OEMs offer about the same amount of mid bass as the Space 8 did. I think that there are better options out there depending on what frequency range that you need the 8 to cover.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I owned a set of the Space 8 components and they were decent performers. The tweeter was the shining star of the set and the mid was just average. It does not have a lot of excursion for an 8. My ID OEMs offer about the same amount of mid bass as the Space 8 did. I think that there are better options out there depending on what frequency range that you need the 8 to cover.
What size are the ID OEMs? What other options do you speak of. I am still considering purchasing the DLS Iridium 8 from the other forum member. I can get the hsk200L new for about the same price as the DLS used.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
How high do you need this 8" to play?

The SLS is hard to beat but bandwidth limited. The HAT L8 will dig low and can play decently high. Then you have the costly but fan fav. the Scan Rev 7". Some like the Dyn 8". Also look at the CSS Trio 8".

I have not heard the HSK200's but they are on my short list of 8" I want to try out. I would say def. worth a listen in the decision making process.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How high do you need this 8" to play?

The SLS is hard to beat but bandwidth limited. The HAT L8 will dig low and can play decently high. Then you have the costly but fan fav. the Scan Rev 7". Some like the Dyn 8". Also look at the CSS Trio 8".

I have not heard the HSK200's but they are on my short list of 8" I want to try out. I would say def. worth a listen in the decision making process.
I am not sure how high I need it to play. I need to contact electromedia and find out what are the crossover points are for the hsk163. I think I may go with the DLS Iridium 8 or the hsk200L. Both are around 200.00 a pair (DLS used), which is right in my price range.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
IIRC and don't hold me to this but I think the x-over is 4.5k but you still need to verify that.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The ID OEM speakers are 6.5". If you are going to run a three way system I would look at the JL ZR 8 or the SLS 8.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The HSK165's pound the mid bass in my truck
How much power are you running to them? I have the HSK165 running my rears along with the HSK163 up front. I am running both sets off a PDX 4.100. I am thinking about bridging the amp to the fronts and getting another one for the rears.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
The first, and probably most important things you need to answer, which have not yet been addressed, are what vehicle you have, how much mounting depth you have, and are you willing to refabricate your doors if necessary to fit a particular woofer. While your doors may fit an 8" woofer, it won't fit all depending on their required mounting depth. A number of the suggestions thrown out to you may not work in your vehicle due to this, and will not work as effectively in an infinite baffle application in your doors, as they would in a sealed enclosure of appropriate internal volume. Once you answer these questions, then you can do a search on the forum for particular recommendations as there are already a number of threads comparing various 8" woofers. Here is one you can start with: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...159-diyma-8-mid-bass-comparison-shinjohn.html

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts