DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good quality 6x9s are hard to find. Before anyone suggests 6.5s, I'm dead set on 6x9s.

Any opinions on Hertz CPK pro components vs kicker KS?

Looking to spend around 250-300.

Hertz are a little pricy but I'd spend it if they are that much better. Also considering a set of discontinued morel 6x9s on ebay

Open to suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
deleted...wrong recommendation

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
What are you powering them with first and foremost?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thats not a lot of power, so I would look for the most efficient drivers I could find.

I don't know how the key would react to the lower impedance on these... But I'd would try them. You won't really gain a ton from super high end speakers with a relatively weak amp.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Aren't JBL/Infinity's like 3.2 ohms?

Should be ok, the lower the ohms, the hotter them amp has to work and the more power it puts out so you may get up to 55wpc...

Reactions: Thomasluke7899

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hertz CPK Cento Pro 6x9 components are 60w RMS and appear to be a good match for the amp.

Same price as Morels 6x9 Tempo Ultras. They are 150w RMS and I worry I would be underpowering them at 50w.

Only other options (much cheaper)

Are JL-Audio C1-690s (60w RMS)

And

Kicker KS 6x9s (120w RMS)

Any opinions? Is it worth it to spring for the Hertz? Or save some cash and see if I'd be happy with the JLs or Kickers?

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
137 Posts
The Hertz CPK 690 is rated at 120w RMS, and 92 sensitivity ... where are you seeing 60w RMS for these?

Font Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Audio equipment

I personally have the 6.5" Cento components, and am really liking them. I'm giving them 70w from my amp.

Underpowering a speaker won't be a problem, so long as it not distorting. You should be looking at the sensitivity though, to determine if the power you have available will be enough for your listening taste.

With 92 sensitivity rating, that means 1w at 1 meter = 92dB loudness. Doubling the power, gives three more dB.

So:
  • 2w = 95dB
  • 4w = 98dB
  • 8w = 101dB
  • 16w = 104dB
  • 32w = 107dB
  • 64w = 110B
So with 50w (clean watts, no distortion), you can expect loudness levels from one speaker to be 109dB or so.

Add a second driver, with the same power applied to it, and it increases 3 dB.

So 2 of the Hertz 6x9s, being fed 50 clean watts, would top out around 112 dB in loudness.

Is that enough for you? If so, its a good choice.

The Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9, is rated at 130w RMS with a sensitivity rating of 91dB

Font Technology Number Pattern Screenshot

This is roughly equal in loudness to the Centos.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If what you care about is midbass, you need to understand the Fs of the speakers.

Personally, I would get a different amp and bridge it. That gives you all the power you could need. The other thing I think you should focus on is deadening.

You'll get way better sound by spending 100 bucks less and putting that 100 bucks into a CLD product like dynamat, or any other butyl based, metal backed CLD. Depending on what your doors are like, maybe even stiffen them with some C channel metal. If your speakers are vibrating the doors vs pushing the air out, you're going to lose midbass.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Could I run 3ohm speakers on a 4ohm amp safely?
Probably. Harman is a big company that thinks about stuff like that. I can tell you I installed thousands of sets of them powered by the dinky amps in a radio or head unit without issues, no overheating, no shutting off, just good sound and eeked out a bit more from what the parts could do.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If what you care about is midbass, you need to understand the Fs of the speakers.

Personally, I would get a different amp and bridge it. That gives you all the power you could need. The other thing I think you should focus on is deadening.

You'll get way better sound by spending 100 bucks less and putting that 100 bucks into a CLD product like dynamat, or any other butyl based, metal backed CLD. Depending on what your doors are like, maybe even stiffen them with some C channel metal. If your speakers are vibrating the doors vs pushing the air out, you're going to lose midbass.
Literally this. Look up door deadening videos from people like Car Audio Fabrication on YouTube that can show how it can properly be done. The difference between a deadened and raw door is very significant.

Also more amp power doesn't really hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Hertz CPK 690 is rated at 120w RMS, and 92 sensitivity ... where are you seeing 60w RMS for these?

View attachment 311000

I personally have the 6.5" Cento components, and am really liking them. I'm giving them 70w from my amp.

Underpowering a speaker won't be a problem, so long as it not distorting. You should be looking at the sensitivity though, to determine if the power you have available will be enough for your listening taste.

With 92 sensitivity rating, that means 1w at 1 meter = 92dB loudness. Doubling the power, gives three more dB.

So:
  • 2w = 95dB
  • 4w = 98dB
  • 8w = 101dB
  • 16w = 104dB
  • 32w = 107dB
  • 64w = 110B
So with 50w (clean watts, no distortion), you can expect loudness levels from one speaker to be 109dB or so.

Add a second driver, with the same power applied to it, and it increases 3 dB.

So 2 of the Hertz 6x9s, being fed 50 clean watts, would top out around 112 dB in loudness.

Is that enough for you? If so, its a good choice.

The Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9, is rated at 130w RMS with a sensitivity rating of 91dB

View attachment 311003

This is roughly equal in loudness to the Centos.
On a different website, the Centos are listed as 120w RMS per pair, 60w per speaker. It's possible it could be wrong.

And I've been focusing primarily on sensitivity in all the sets I've listed that I'm choosing from. At 50w I figured it was the most important spec to get the most out of the power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Literally this. Look up door deadening videos from people like Car Audio Fabrication on YouTube that can show how it can properly be done. The difference between a deadened and raw door is very significant.

Also more amp power doesn't really hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
A different amp is out for me. The key amps auto DSP is the main thing. No other amps really provide it, I don't want to spend days tweaking a different DSP.

And I plan to do full sound deadening on the doors when I do my install

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the Kicker Key 200.4

Nice to read of the Hertz cpk690's, but is the Kicker Key enough? I'm a low/moderate volume level kind of guy.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
137 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the Kicker Key 200.4

Nice to read of the Hertz cpk690's, but is the Kicker Key enough? I'm a low/moderate volume level kind of guy and want more bass with tweeter clarity at lower volume levels.
Enough for what? Two Hertz CPK 690 speakers, with 50 watts fed to each, will reach roughly 112 dB without distortion.

I would definitely classify that as low to moderate levels, if that’s what you mean.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts