DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was an active member of this forum a few years ago. Many of you helped me build incredible car audio systems. You also helped me understand audio theory to an incredibly deep level. In return I posted many threads to help you on your personal Journey. I hope some of my content helped you out. I'm an electrical engineer with a focus on audio. I now work in the OEM supplier industry. I know some stuff. But, your help is always welcome. My goal is to help for the greater good and push to improve vehicle audio performance at the aftermarket and OEM level. For instance, I pride myself into convincing GM place 12" subwoofers in the Corvette's front doors. They had nowhere else to package them.

In the mean time I had 3 sons while struggling to keep up with car audio stuff. Unfortunately my youngest fell ill and died from a rare strain of blood cancer at 3 years old. This fugging crushed me. This consumed all of my time for several years. Then I rebounded and moved my family to Yokohama Japan for a job. After that it was Singapore. And then Stuttgart Germany. I didn't own vehicles during this time. In 2013 I came back to the states. Shortly after returning I developed the same strain of blood cancer that took my son. I laid in the hospital for months on the verge of death. But, I had a lovely wife who supported me and a doctor who took a deep dive into my case. Because of this I am happy to say that I am still alive!

But that was not the end of my shitty journey. My oldest son is extreme ADHD. We struggled to help him but felt hopeless. Finally we needed to resort to medicating him. The drugs helped him focus and apparently manage a normal life. But, they were slowly turning him psychopathic and suicidal. It was a huge struggle to help him. We finally found a doctor who gave a sh1t and closely studied him in a crappy mental ward. This was a serious blow to my family.

The outcome destroyed my marriage. But, I am happy to report that both of my boys are now thriving and doing well. I still have a great relationship with my now ex-wife. In essence we are OK.

The last bit of this apparently tragic story is that I now have time on my hands every other week to focus on car audio. I just bought a car that I am eager to modify. Who has the nutz zack to step in and bring me up to date on the latest technology? What I can do? I've been reading but I am overloaded with new information. I plan to include my boys in this journey. My 14 yr old wants a McLaren with a bumping sound system. This may be a stretch :) For now I'll settle on my Porsche Macan to keep us happy. Where will this journey lead us? Help me to understand...

Help me figure this out. I promise to give back to the community as I find solutions as I have done before...

Ge0

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Welcome back and sorry your journey has been so painful. You seem to be in good spirits with all you and your family have endured. I’ll take a first pass at bringing you up to speed.

There are two big differences in today’s car audio. The first is that the car electronics are so integrated that it can be a challenge to have an aftermarket system. And the second is the extreme power and capability of today’s DSPs to really improve the audio quality in a vehicle by addressing some of what a vehicle does to the audio.

The two best DSPs on the market in my opinion are the MiniDSP with Dirac room correction (borrowed from home audio) and the Helix Pro DSP. With those you have full control of crossovers and can use up to 10 (or so) separate parametric EQs on each channel. As I said, a lot of power there. The MiniDSP with Dirac can auto tune the system using the Dirac room correction algorithm, which does an amazing job. And Helix has their own auto tune so at least there is an easy button until you build up your skills with manually tuning the DSPs.

Speaker wise Audiofrog is a new and popular mainstream speaker and sub company founded by a former lead of JBL Car Audio. Their GB10 and GB25s are very popular for A-pillar installs and the GB60 is a potent midbass. There are of course many, many others that you’d have to let us know what you are thinking in terms of speakers and budget.

Amps have a new big thing, which is that they don’t have to be so big. Class D digital amplifiers can have high-end sound quality and quite a bit of power while keeping the size of the amp down.

Hope that gives you a little bit of reading.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was an active member of this forum a few years ago. Many of you helped me build incredible car audio systems. You also helped me understand audio theory to an incredibly deep level. In return I posted many threads to help you on your personal Journey. I hope some of my content helped you out. I'm an electrical engineer with a focus on audio. I now work in the OEM supplier industry. I know some stuff. But, your help is always welcome. My goal is to help for the greater good and push to improve vehicle audio performance at the aftermarket and OEM level. For instance, I pride myself into convincing GM place 12" subwoofers in the Corvette's front doors. They had nowhere else to package them.

In the mean time I had 3 sons while struggling to keep up with car audio stuff. Unfortunately my youngest fell ill and died from a rare strain of blood cancer at 3 years old. This fugging crushed me. This consumed all of my time for several years. Then I rebounded and moved my family to Yokohama Japan for a job. After that it was Singapore. And then Stuttgart Germany. I didn't own vehicles during this time. In 2013 I came back to the states. Shortly after returning I developed the same strain of blood cancer that took my son. I laid in the hospital for months on the verge of death. But, I had a lovely wife who supported me and a doctor who took a deep dive into my case. Because of this I am happy to say that I am still alive!

But that was not the end of my shitty journey. My oldest son is extreme ADHD. We struggled to help him but felt hopeless. Finally we needed to resort to medicating him. The drugs helped him focus and apparently manage a normal life. But, they were slowly turning him psychopathic and suicidal. It was a huge struggle to help him. We finally found a doctor who gave a sh1t and closely studied him in a crappy mental ward. This was a serious blow to my family.

The outcome destroyed my marriage. But, I am happy to report that both of my boys are now thriving and doing well. I still have a great relationship with my now ex-wife. In essence we are OK.

The last bit of this apparently tragic story is that I know have time on my hands every other week to focus on car audio. I just bought a car that I am eager to modify. Who has the nutz zack to step in and bring me up to date on the latest technology? What I can do? I've been reading but I am overloaded with new information. I plan to include my boys in this journey. My 14 yr old wants a McLaren with a bumping sound system. This may be a stretch :) For now I'll settle on my Porsche Macan to keep us happy. Where will this journey lead us? Help me to understand...

Help me figure this out. I promise to give back to the community as I find solutions and have I have done before...

Ge0
Welcome back. I apologize for your loss.
These days are all about the standalone DSPs. Gone are the quality source HUs with built in signal processing for the most part.
Audiofrog is the new darling of car audio as dgage said. I personally havent heard them, but a quick search will reveal many favorable reviews.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome back and sorry your journey has been so painful. You seem to be in good spirits with all you and your family have endured. I’ll take a first pass at bringing you up to speed.

There are two big differences in today’s car audio. The first is that the car electronics are so integrated that it can be a challenge to have an aftermarket system. And the second is the extreme power and capability of today’s DSPs to really improve the audio quality in a vehicle by addressing some of what a vehicle does to the audio.

The two best DSPs on the market in my opinion are the MiniDSP with Dirac room correction (borrowed from home audio) and the Helix Pro DSP. With those you have full control of crossovers and can use up to 10 (or so) separate parametric EQs on each channel. As I said, a lot of power there. The MiniDSP with Dirac can auto tune the system using the Dirac room correction algorithm, which does an amazing job. And Helix has their own auto tune so at least there is an easy button until you build up your skills with manually tuning the DSPs.

Speaker wise Audiofrog is a new and popular mainstream speaker and sub company founded by a former lead of JBL Car Audio. Their GB10 and GB25s are very popular for A-pillar installs and the GB60 is a potent midbass. There are of course many, many others that you’d have to let us know what you are thinking in terms of speakers and budget.

Amps have a new big thing, which is that they don’t have to be so big. Class D digital amplifiers can have high-end sound quality and quite a bit of power while keeping the size of the amp down.

'Class D' does not mean 'digital'.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Brother, Welcome back!

this is not some empty platitude, I genuinely am glad you're here. a lot of men simply give up. I'm glad you kept fighting and trying and breathing. a lot of people when they get thrown a curveball, simply strike out. You didn't . You never gave up . and man do I respect that.

How you deal with this life gets you ready for the next one. And I assure you there is a next one. Our souls with the love we share for people are all energy. That Energy can never be extinguished. It can never be destroyed. Our own Energy can only be transferred or combined.

In layman's terms, everything is a beginning,

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. The technology hardly existed 10+ years ago to take a direct digital signal and drive a class D output stage. The only amps that I knew could do this were high end home audio amps. There may have been maybe one or two high end car amps but I don't remember them. I foresaw this coming and knew it would be the future of audio. It simplifies the system. And, with ultra low RDSon FETs that can switch into the MHz range heat sink and package size decreases dramatically.. Also, switching at much higher frequencies allows the total elimination of big toroidal inductors the older class D amps had. For cripe sakes, Audison can cram in direct digital input, DSP, and 8 channels of 85W amplifiers in a package you can palm in your hand. Now that's impressive.

You know who else does this? Bose and Harman. Maybe their DSP's aren't quite as powerful. Maybe the amplifier channels aren't as powerful. But, they can package a multi-channel car amp with MOST input and DSP in packages even smaller than Audison. I'm excited to see this trend roll out more into the main stream. Who know's, some day we might be able to buy a cheap power amp from Pyle that contains all these features and sounds half way good.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brother, Welcome back!

this is not some empty platitude, I genuinely am glad you're here. a lot of men simply give up. I'm glad you kept fighting and trying and breathing. a lot of people when they get thrown a curveball, simply strike out. You didn't . You never gave up . and man do I respect that.

How you deal with this life gets you ready for the next one. And I assure you there is a next one. Our souls with the love we share for people are all energy. That Energy can never be extinguished. It can never be destroyed. Our own Energy can only be transferred or combined.

In layman's terms, everything is a beginning,

View attachment 262016
Thanks for the kind words man. I still have my health issues but I'm getting by.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I had a vehicle with 3 Zapco DC Reference amps driving 11 active speakers channels. As a matter of fact my build log for that vehicle is here. I know the advantage of using DSP's. I've never been a big fan of auto room correction. I prefer to do that myself. REW, a binaural microphone set, and days of patience pay off.

I was always curious about DIRAC but never tried it. I'm sure room correction is becoming much better. But, the Audyssey XT32 room correction in my home audio receiver leaves a lot to be desired. That's why I skip it and use this instead:

Works great for home. I'd like to try it in a car but I found car computers kind of janky. I prefer a canned solution like Audison bit amps that contain everything in one nice clean package. It may not have nearly as much processing power as a dedicated computer. But, I don't need a dang mouse and keyboard to start my car audio system :). Still, it is nice having a nearly unlimited amount of phase perfect filters and parametric channels to play with. Has me thinking again...

I know Andy from back in the day. He was a big proponent of JBL's old MS-8 system integration and tuning processor. Now he's selling chromed out loudspeakers and tuning kits compatible with REW. Glad to see he is flourishing. Would love to have his 24 channel amp :).

Ge0

·
Premium Member
211 Posts

The last bit of this apparently tragic story is that I now have time on my hands every other week to focus on car audio. I just bought a car that I am eager to modify. Who has the nutz zack to step in and bring me up to date on the latest technology? What I can do? I've been reading but I am overloaded with new information. I plan to include my boys in this journey. My 14 yr old wants a McLaren with a bumping sound system. This may be a stretch :) For now I'll settle on my Porsche Macan to keep us happy. Where will this journey lead us? Help me to understand...

Help me figure this out. I promise to give back to the community as I find solutions as I have done before...

Ge0
Hi Ge0,

Appears that we joined about a month apart! Welcome back! Sounds like you and your family have been through quite an ordeal. My condolences on the loss of your Son.

Rich

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Ge0,

Appears that we joined about a month apart! Welcome back! Sounds like you and your family have been through quite an ordeal. My condolences on the loss of your Son.

Rich
Thank you all. Good to be back. If anything I have had an interesting life...

Ge0

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Hey bro, welcome back. I remember you from the old days here. Sorry to hear of the tough journey, but it appears to have made you stronger and things look like they are on the right path now :)

For the most part, the challenges in vehicle acoustics are all still the same- the "room" itself is always the biggest factor. As mentioned we have some great tools available now that can make getting a great end result much easier and quicker, like correction devices (APL, Dirac) and we also have much more advanced DSP's with more features.

Ask any questions and I'll be happy to provide whatever insights I'm able to.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
270 Posts
i'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your son and the tough journey youve been on thus far. if i can be of any help, i will be here listening

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your losses .. I remember you from the old days.. myself ... I went by Louisiana_CRX on here and several other forums most are gone now ...but couldn't remember my password here and the email I no longer used to redo it so I had to create a new name . At least you remembered yours ..Welcome back and hopefully your future will start to brighten up....

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey bro, welcome back. I remember you from the old days here. Sorry to hear of the tough journey, but it appears to have made you stronger and things look like they are on the right path now :)

For the most part, the challenges in vehicle acoustics are all still the same- the "room" itself is always the biggest factor. As mentioned we have some great tools available now that can make getting a great end result much easier and quicker, like correction devices (APL, Dirac) and we also have much more advanced DSP's with more features.

Ask any questions and I'll be happy to provide whatever insights I'm able to.

Cheers,

Steve
Hey Steve. Unfortunately I cant re-use my Zapco amps in this build. They are too big. I don' want to sacrifice my spare tire. Right now I am looking at tiny class D multi-channel amps with built in DSP. The Audison bit solutions look pretty good. The 8 channel amp plus a sub amp would work. Not too sure what other solutions are out there. But then again, I just got started.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry to hear about your losses .. I remember you from the old days.. myself ... I went by Louisiana_CRX on here and several other forums most are gone now ...but couldn't remember my password here and the email I no longer used to redo it so I had to create a new name . At least you remembered yours ..Welcome back and hopefully your future will start to brighten up....
I remember your Tag. Still toying around with CRX's?

Ge0

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Have a look at the JL Audio VXi amplifiers. They have built in DSP as well and a smaller footprint. Or a standalone DSP and the HD or XDv2 series. Both are very good amplifiers.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Have a look at the JL Audio VXi amplifiers. They have built in DSP as well and a smaller footprint. Or a standalone DSP and the HD or XDv2 series. Both are very good amplifiers.
I know about the JL VXi amps but haven't looked too closely. They are on my list. Packaging space is at a severe minimum in my new ride. So, I need to think carefully about separate components. More boxes and wires are hard to accommodate. Simple is better. But, I don't want to sacrifice on DSP quality. Cost is not as much of a concern as quality. But, I don't want to overspend just on a brand name. It must offer something I need for the money and offer value.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree about Audyssey XT32 not being that good. On the home audio side, Trinnov has been the best but Dirac 2.0 and ARC 2.0 are making noise. As a matter of fact, JBL used to license Trinnov for their high-end processor but this year they switched to Dirac 2.0, which is intriguing. MiniDSP has Dirac 2.0 for some of their processors and I’m looking forward to the 8x12 DL to get 2.0, which is he DSP I have.

I will be buying some amps for my new system in the next couple months and I’m pretty much set on the MMATS 4150HiFi (2 of those or maybe a 4150/4250) as they are pretty powerful, flexible, and in a pretty small package.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts