DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a DIYMA 3" full range driver for mounting up in the dash? I can't wait to test out your tweeter, but I'm looking for a good portion of the spectrum to be playing high on the dash.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
If enough people can agree on what they want, and are willing to pre-order sure why not?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Define "enough people". I would be willing to pre-order. I think a good 3" full range that can play down to 150-200 hz up to 16khz? If top end needs to be sacrificed for good low end, it would be a fair trade off. Adding a tweet to cover fro 10khz and up isn't that big a deal.

Any one else want to chime in on this? Werewolf? any-one?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I think i could possibly be down with it, depends on how overall detailed in the midrange and its lower extension would be though. Going to be looking for going 3way up front in the next few months so its a possibility.

·
Registered
693 Posts
a mid that is stout down to about 200-250 hz would be cool. on the upper end....maybe something flat up to about 5 khz. that would open doors for more tweeter options. it seems to be quite a task finding a tweeter that works well below 2-3 khz. and of course price would be a concern for all of us im sure.

i would definately go for pre-ordering a pair.

·
Registered
206 Posts
NP, I have a whole car forum whom are looking for a decent 3" to replace stock.
If you make a 4ohm version which covers a 250-300hz to 16,000-20,000hz
bandwidth and make it affordable, there would probably be a large interest.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I agree with that, if i could get a 3" mid to put down in some kick panels, that were highly detailed, warm, and could go from 250/300hz on up to around 6-8k at an affordable price, that would compair with the Excel line in SQ then i would pick up a couple pairs, use them in the car, and use them in the home. Would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'm chiming in also. 250-6k+ "flat" would be fantastic. I'd be all over that. Oh, and be relatively efficient.

If you could quote a guesstimation I'd be willing to preorder.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I would be up for a 3-3.5" mid that can be used without the need for a tweeter, and play down to 400-500 to mate with some XLS 8's... ;) :D

Am i asking for too much? :confused:

Leo

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leo,

Thats exactly what i'm looking to do.

I figured why support other manufacturers when we can support a fellow autophile.

Hey Dang,

It looks like the people have spoken!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm definitely in. Combine a kickass motor like XBL or underhung, use plenty of copper, decent xmax of 4mm or more, in a cast chassis, with decent sensitivity/powerhandling and i'd definitely buy one

·
Registered
524 Posts
Me too, me too!

I know there are many trade-offs with designing a driver. However, if there were a 3" driver that covered the whole vocal range (250Hz - 3000Hz) flat with good sensitivity and great dynamics I would be one of the first with money in hand.

Of course, if the driver could extend up to 5-6kHz to mate with more tweets that would be awesomer. ;)

But being able to play up to 15kHz with no tweet needed would be the bestest awesomest! :D

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I have to ask, does flat response even matter? It won't look anywhere near flat in the car, and especially if you're mounting them up in the dash lol.

I was thinking more along the lines of usable response from 200hz-3khz, covering the human vocal range. By usuable I mean no serious energy storage or distortion... capable of ~96db-100db @1m.

Stiff cone, copper rings, overhung motor. THe usual goodies in a high end midrange.

I think one thing alot of people are missing is the enclosure. It will be critical for midrange reproduction... I was thinking along the lines of a self enclosed, aperiodic/transmission line enclosure to dampen out rear wave energy. Plug and play. Dunno how big it'd need to be to get down to ~200hz though :)

Priced around $100-$150/pr. ?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I may be in the minority

but Id seriously pay 200-250 a pair for a ATC like dome midrange/self enclosed

that can play 200-5000 flat at 87-90db

3" would be great, but 4" is cool too (but I know im luck my pillars are huge)

I really think youd sell more of these than any of the other proposed mids

look at buwalda's 3" dude is going to charge 250 a pair and I bet he sells a ton for the "midgrade" legatia

I look at it like this is going to be a very specialized driver for those 3way DIY'ers make is as quality as possible even if it cost more (too a pint of course lol)

and push pin terminals LOL

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Dang your idea sounds good to me, i dunno about spending as much as titan said, but 100-150 for a pair would put it right in line with the CA18 price and such. But a self enclosed plug and play midrange would be a cool little idea, really no matter how you mount it you'll have the space you need, i would like to put a pair of 3"er's down in the kicks for accurate staging and midrange, but man [email protected] is crazy.

Midranges should carry the complete vocal range as well, like you said, as if theres any breakups going b/w speakers its just an easier way to notice that it changes from one speaker to another, so keeping it from 200-3k/4k would be a smart thing. Then a nice beefy 6.5/7/8" driver to cary midbass would rock.

Just keep that midrange really detailed, without any congestion and it should work very well.

AS i've seen there is a pretty high demand for a small midrange that can play a wide range, but with lots of detail and realism. So i'm sure you wouldn't have any problems marketing it, as long as it proves itself.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Finleyville said:
I know there are many trade-offs with designing a driver. However, if there were a 3" driver that covered the whole vocal range (250Hz - 3000Hz) flat with good sensitivity and great dynamics I would be one of the first with money in hand.
Npdang,

I guess I misspoke. What I meant was that you could get a great sounding driver after it was installed with little tuning.

Which leads me to the closed back design. That is a fantastic idea. That would really open up the mounting location possibilities.

Which leads me to size. I know there has been much hype lately here and over at ECA about the Focal BE's 3", the Trius/Vifa 3", and the Tangband 3". It seems to me that many people have been asking for a smaller (3") driver to accomplish exactly what you just described. For some reason, a 3"er is much more flexible in mounting areas than even a 4"er. So I believe that you would see more orders for the smaller size.

Which leads me to price. I think your original price point of $100-$150 is great. However, if it means skimping on quality, features, or the sound characteristics then do not short change this project. If you successfully designed a 3" driver that accomplishes everything it should, then I would be willing to pay $200-$250 for the pair.

Even though this idea is still in the brainstorming stage, I am more excited about this project than all the others combined! :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I don't really have a need for a dedicated midrange... at least not on this setup... i got no room for a 3 way... And the fact that my actual setup is doing great...

But a real full range driver like i mentioned earlier really could change things... ;)

Leo

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also don't have room or amps for a three way. Hence the reason for a "full range" driver.

I like the idea of a self enclosed driver. If the driver really needs a tweeter to cover the top end, I guess I could throw on a passive to cover pretty high, but I still would love 1 driver per side, 1 mid per side and 1 sub.

Can't wait to hear where this goes.

Also, do you have any more info on your tweeter? I think it would mate well with my girls set-up, a lpg softie down to 1khz. sweet....

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I really don't think you want a 3" driver producing treble frequencies... at least I don't :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts