DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my dilemma, I am currently running an audison LRx 2.500 amp to power a pair of Rainbow CS265.25 Germanium in the front doors and an audison LRx 2.250 powering another pair of Rainbow CS265.25 Germanium in the rear doors and a JL audio 500/1 powering a JL audio kicker box.

Here is my problem I have blown the front rainbow speakers twice, so I am looking at going with some new speakers either the DLS UP6i, Focal 165KP, CDT ES-620, or Dynaudio 240 GT....

Also I am thinking of changing out my Audison amps and going with either a pair of Zapco Ref 750.2, Soundstream TX2.1500 tarantula, or an Arc Audio...

Reason being I am just not getting the deafening loudness I was looking for....I am looking for something that with a 1/4 run of the volume knob my ears are hurting, and with room to spare for if I am shooting basketball or hanging out at the park and want to listen to some tunes, I can hear it with windows down...

I would have thought my current setup would have giving me everything I was thinking of....I even had the system installed at a local sound shop so I'm assuming they installed everything correctly and to within specs

any ways any suggestions on if I should try new speakers or give rainbow another chance and or if I should change out my amps so let me hear what everyone has to suggest.....I would go to some sound shops and listen but around here the only thing my local shops carry are the likes of Kenwood, Alpine, JL Audio, etc so I am relying on the forums expertise

Thanks

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Changing brands is not going to stop you from blowing speakers. Based on your listening preferences I would have to say the problem is the user primarily. If you want deafening loudness you need more speakers and more power. The audible loudness is not related to how far you turn the volume knob, and having only 1/4 volume before it's very loud is not the proper way to tune.

When you run properly tuned gear the distortion goes down, so as the music may be too loud to carry on a conversation it sounds quieter than you think. If you want it loud for when you're not in the vehicle maybe you need more speakers and more amps. This quickly gets much more expensive because you can't forget about the increased current load on your battery and alternator. Especially when you run the system with the engine off, the more batteries you can fit the better.

·
Registered
866 Posts
What kind of car and how are u blowing speakers. Are they burnt voice coils, frozen? Just the mids or tweets? Have u swapped the xover?
I sent u a pm. We can discuss

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sounds like you need HLCD and Pro Audio Mids and Midbass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My setup is in a 2006 Ford F-150 4 door crew cab. and I'm not sure what on the speaker blew up, my current setup was crystal clear but maybe it was too clear...lol meaning even when it was cranked up I could still hear other things like my radar detector beeping, a passenger speaking, my seatbelt chimer going off, etc...when I was younger I had a "Kicker still water" kicker box running off a Kenwood 8020 (only 80 watts per channel) and I couldn't hear nothing but thumping music and I could be heard blocks away....so maybe there is difference between clean clear music and just good hard murky thumping????? either way I'm needing new speakers and am thinking of DLS or Hertz and maybe going with more power like 300+ watts per channel like the soundstream tarantula or a old school rockford fosgate punch 150 (rated at 75/channel but underrated with birth sheets stating 300+/per channel) or going with 2-ohm speakers instead of 4-ohm

·
Registered
149 Posts
when I was younger I had a "Kicker still water" kicker box running off a Kenwood 8020 (only 80 watts per channel) and I couldn't hear nothing but thumping music and I could be heard blocks away....
I do not know your age, but I am 47 and things always seem better when we look back.
It really sounds like you need to go to a good shop, you have some good equipment and your just going to be spending money without a clear plan on how to reach your goals. I just finished an Accord with L8SE in the doors, L6 in the kicks, L3 in pods and ID Pro horns running off Arc SE amps controlled by Audio Control. I personely do not care for this set up but the customer was very pleased and we reached his goal of very loud in your face system. It can be acheived so talk to a good shop it will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks lance, and yeah I'm 45 and so I have been out of the "Car Audio" scene for along time since my 1980's system got stolen....bad thing around my area is no one carries the higher end components, the top of the line here is JL Audio, so I'm going off of the forums, so I can't really go hear for myself anywhere I will probably keep what I got but definately need new speakers and am thinking of Hertz (if i can find a dealer and a good price), DLS, or Dynaudio, I will probably keep my Audison amps and maybe add another Sub and sub amp, but tempting to go 300 watt per channel on front so might go with old school Fosgate punch 150, or maybe a soundstream tx2.1500 or something along that line.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts