DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

HHR equipment selection

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Dougie085 
#1 ·
Ok my brother in law just bought a 2008 Chevy HHR. He want's and in dash navigation unit and there are a couple I was looking at and was wondering if there are any others I should look at as well or if the ones we're looking at aren't any good? Been a while since I've been into car audio. He wants one of the DD in dash 7" touch screen units. These are the 2 he likes so far.

ECLIPSE AVN6620 DVD Navigation System with 7inch Wide TFT Display and Dual DVD Multi-Source Receiver AVN6620 | Fujitsu Ten

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - IVA-W505

One thing I'm concerned about and don't see much about is the crossover stuff. We want to do a 3 way setup in the front with a single sub in the back. Do either of these units have a built in 3 way crossover? Is there anything that does if these don't? I was thinking I could use the Alpine and get one of their processors but the price is quite a bit more then the Eclipse.

As far as other components we haven't quite decided yet. There will be 2-3 amps for sure and not sure about drivers for the doors or sub yet.

#3 ·
The only way you are going to go 3-way active + sub is to add a processor.

The Alpine IVA-W505 is an awesome unit and it will control the Alpine PXA-H700/H701. Unfortunately these processors are discontinued now. Another option would be to go with an Audison Bit One, but you cannot control it from the head unit.

I haven't used the Eclipse unit so I can't comment on it.

Another option is the Pioneer Avic-F90BT. It is full featured, but it does have some odd issues. 1) Occasionally the bluetooth gets stuck on stupid and the only way I found to correct it is to reboot the phone and then re-pair the bluetooth. 2) It has an issue where it will reboot. I have only had this happen to me once in the last few months I have had mine. 3) It takes a while to boot. Not a huge deal as it will start playing music within 30 seconds.

#4 ·
Well I ended up just getting the Eclipse. I decided to go with some passive 3 way speakers as well. I found the Eclipse for 600 with the BT and iPod addons. I ordered some DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3i speakers. I've heard these recently and was very impressed and at 450 the price was right :) I found someone on ebay selling some of the DIYMA 12" subs so ordered a couple of them (one for the brother and one for me later). Trying to decide on amps now. I've always loved Zapco amps but thinking about going with Alpine PDX.

#7 ·
Ok new question. The head unit obviously requires some extra connections. At the time of ordering everything my brother in law told me his car had On Star (he was on his way to pick up the vehicle). Well come to find out it doesn't which kind of sucks. I bought the On Star adapter which has all the extra wire connections that a Navigation unit needs, my question is should the adapter still work and give me the connections I need even though the unit doesn't have on-star? It looks to be the same connection that the stock head unit uses and everything so I'm thinking it may.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.