DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the market offer today, used or new.
I know the usual brax, zapco ap, alpine status (F900)... there is some kind of "hidden gem" out there?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just curious what the market offer today, used or new.

I know the usual brax, zapco ap, alpine status (F900)... there is some kind of "hidden gem" out there?

AudioControl 4.800 and 6.1200

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Mosconi AS100.4 would be a good choice on the used market. As would the JL Slash 300.4. You really don't need to go crazy on amps to get the best sound.

But if those seem to cheap for ya, maybe a sinfoni 4 channel:D

·
Registered
714 Posts
I’ve used Mosconi as , Mosconi Zero and Audison Voce and loved them all. Also used JL Hd and Alpine PDX and was not impressed.

Not sure what I’m going to use in my next build but I was looking at the Zapco Ap or Mosconi 5/30. Can’t go wrong with Mosconi amps.

·
Registered
959 Posts
without spending crazy money the zapco ap & lx amps are very nice

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know best sound not only depends form amps.
But I am pretty much addicted with a/d/s, and every time I switched them, or replaced others good amps with a/d/s I was always capable to ear differences and how much good they sound!

If I should replace them, honestly I don't know which choice could be as good, to don't be disappointed!

That said, just curious if I miss something...

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Sony EX GS4 and Zapco ST4XSQ are good budget choices. I've tested a bunch of amplifiers on my bench as blind tests with everything level matched with a microphone and REW. There are very small differences for sure but you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart in the noisy environment of a car.

See this amplifier shootout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttqllik75sefne2/High Value Amplifier Shootout.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Arc Ks300.4 gets my vote. Realize that isnt a high end amplifier, but damn fine amps imo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arc Ks300.4 gets my vote. Realize that isnt a high end amplifier, but damn fine amps imo.
My biased vote is the SSA IC150.4.
Sony EX GS4 and Zapco ST4XSQ are good budget choices. I've tested a bunch of amplifiers on my bench as blind tests with everything level matched with a microphone and REW. There are very small differences for sure but you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart in the noisy environment of a car.

See this amplifier shootout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttqllik75sefne2/High Value Amplifier Shootout.pdf?dl=0
All good amps for sure, but far from hi-end, IMHO.

·
Registered
959 Posts
tru amps really nice as well

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
oh yes, but at what price... :eek:
If you have to ask you can't afford them:eek::p;)

Seriously though, they seem to be a no holds barred amp done by a legendary amp designer and uses the best parts. As for what I'd choose for my personal install if money were no object it would be the higher end Zapco offerings if I had the room and JL VXI if I needed to save space.

·
Registered
524 Posts
McIntosh all day, they’re so transparent it’s like the signal goes straight from the processor to the speakers, 0 coloration, no distinct sound characteristics, just really good amplifiers if you can fit them.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
McIntosh all day, they’re so transparent it’s like the signal goes straight from the processor to the speakers, 0 coloration, no distinct sound characteristics, just really good amplifiers if you can fit them.
Do they even make them anymore or are the only ones available used? Wish I could justify them in my install. Single cab truck that gets treated like a truck at times ya know. I do feel like they really add something special to the sound of the system probably because they add nothing at all tonally.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts