DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

hi/low adapter question - LOC?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  san7an4 
#1 ·
Been maintaining my system to be stock. But I have added a mono amplifier and subs for added bass.

I had the installation done at a shop a couple years ago. I recently ripped open my dash to add a iphone adapter so i can enjoy my ipod music on the stereo... anyway.

I found a hurricane aka pyramid ns-60 hi/low adapter
which states it does Input 10ohms output 10k ohms
and it looks like something out of the 80s

So I tried to replace this thing with a
scosche SLC4
Scosche SLC-4 (slc4) Line-Out Converters Car Amplifier Installation & Accessories Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

My source is coming from a speaker cable which i believe is tapped into one of my door speakers. Not sure i have yet to tear the car apart to try to follow it.

The SCL4 did not work as a replacement.. I was getting no bass out of my system.

The hurricane/pyramid works and puts out satisfying bass.. but look at it. There has to be something better that will clean up the signal or perhaps boost it better? FYI not trying to spend more then 50$ for a decent adapter.

any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
well yeah i didnt know about the adapter my self until i tore down the car. but once again my question is.. is there something better? I already failed to select a similar product..the slc4 did not work. I saw some products by soundgate and mtx that could be a replacement?

My complaint with my system is that the bass doesnt really kick in unless I push my stock systems volume pretty high. I really have to crank it to get some good bass going. Feels unbalanced.

#4 ·
the lack of bass could be attributed to anything - equipment, installation, proper settings on the amp and/or converter, etc etc. you never stated what your equipment is either. i have no idea why you could not get the slc-4 to work, but it is one of two reasons - the piece is broken, user error.

i used a loc in one of my cars for supplying a signal to a pair of 10s that i added to the factory system and never had a problem.

#5 ·
for some reason i believe the slc4 is either broken or does not supply what i need. wiring it up is pretty basic.

am i reading too much into that the ns60 adapter currently installed is providing me with a higher signal? it says it does 10ohms to 10kohms is this typical of any loc? ive read the specs on dozens of locs and hilow adapters.. im going loc crazy

i know there could be almost 30 factors as to why i am getting a undesired amount of bass.
i have narrowed it down to either the source audio signal is worthless and too unbalanced to convert to a preamp or the current loc i am using is not up to the task.

my amp / sub setup has changed a number of times over the years
current setup is a
JL A1400
# A Series 1-Channel Class D Car Amplifier
# RMS Power Rating:

* 4 ohms: 320 watts x 1 chan.
* 2 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan.

# Max power output: 1000 watts x 1 chan.
# Unregulated MOSFET power supply

powering a pair of MTX Thunder 4500
T4512-04
4ohm
RMS Power (Watts) :: 225
Rec. RMS Amplifier
Power (Watts):: 112.5 - 225

stereo is
05 4runner sport
JBL synthesis 6cd changer 10 speaker system

so yeah im alright with amount of bass my setup can put out.. just desire it at a lower volume level
hoping to get suggestions for either a new loc or signal processor..that wont break my wallet for this application. changing the head unit.. would be my last resort.

thanks in advance

#7 ·
you jbl synthesis system may be causing some problems depending on where the loc is installed. i know on some bose systems you have you tap into the lines after the amplifier or it won't work properly. this is just a guess.

the problem you have is that the sub volume is controlled by the main volume for everything - the louder your speakers the more bass you will get and vice versa. your current loc has adjustable gains so you may play with them a bit to get a little more power but it will be an even increase along the entire spectrum of the power range, not just at low volume levels. you do have to be careful though when changing gains as they are (hopefully) set correctly on the amp for the signal the loc is producing. to do it properly you would really need a o-scope but it is possible to do by ear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.