DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to mobile audio.
I am building a 1963 Thunderbird. I will have a sub in the trunk. I want a 2way for the rear seats, and I have room for a 4inch. I do not want a speaker grill visible on the rear metal quarters, so I was wondering if I could mount the speaker behind the panel and drill holes for the grill?
How many and how big would they have to be to get sound out of them?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My brother has a '65 T-Bird, I'm trying to picture the inside of it. It has a rear deck right, is the where you are talking about? If so, is it solid metal?

I think a series of maybe 1/4" holes should work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is actually a home made roadster so no rear package try.
I am looking at the area near where the rear armrests are.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
From your post I assume your 1963 Thunderbird is a coupe, because I don't think the convertible had a rear shelf and the trunk was completely taken over by the top.

IIRC, the 1963 Thunderbird came with an AM radio with one speaker in the center of the dash, firing upwards.

If you want to leave the car completely original, you have limited options. :(

One way would be a completely hidden system with a radio/CD changer in the trunk and speakers mounted under the front seats. Needless to say, that won't sound very good. :(

Another option would be to build a set of kick panels and swap those for the originals. Than way you can always return the car to its original condition later.

Completely hidden audio systems can be found here:
Vintage Car Radio .com

The components are controlled by RF remote.

Not the top choice for SQ, but if you want to keep your vehicle original it is an OK compromise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does not have to be completly stock. I plan on 2 ways in the front kick panels, a sub woofer and amp in the trunk and something in the inside rear quarters (above or below the arm rests) I have a Custom Autosound 5 stereo that looks stock and has 240 watts and preouts
I just do not like the look of a speaker grill hanging inside.
Are there some other options that behind the panel with holes?

Thanks, Jim

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts

Are you talking about in the white part or in the wood grained piece in the picture?

Go to Radio Shack and get you one of these, and match that pattern.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
That above grill is a good idea, but I have to ask, if you are making one of the 2 seat roadsters with the tonneau cover, why even install those rear speakers to begin with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imjustjason:
One the white part above the armrest.
Thanks for the photos. I was thinking about making the holes pattern in the shape of the Thunderbird logo.

89grand:
I have the tonneau cover, but also the back seats, and plan on cruising with the tonneau mostly off

Thanks, Jim

·
Administrator
2,487 Posts
Then get you a logo somewhere that's about the size of the speaker you are wanting to use, lay it over the ceiling speaker grille trace out the logo then mark the holes that coincide and start drilling.

Sounds cool!!

If you're interested I'll post some pics of an install the Fishman did in a '57 Chevy that really kept the era look and he had speakers in the kicks. Though I am not a big fan of the Fishman it looks really good. If you are interested in a way to keep the kicks looking cool like the back is going to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pictures would be great to get some ideas from. I tried to Google "Fishman 57 chev" but no pictures

Thanks, Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts