DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first amp I ever owned was a HiFonics Thor 250w back in the very early 90s, then stepped up to a Boltar and then a Zuess. At that time, there were not different power options under the same name like there is now. I have seen some used Brutus amps for dirt cheap online.

So my question is.. are they still the same quality as they used to be or have they sold out, etc?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not the same at all...

Still “decent” for budget amp option, but not a premium brand like they once were.

I feel like MB Quart is similar too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hifonics and MB Quart are owned by Maxxsonics, as are Crunch.
I've got a couple of Hifonics amps and an MB Quart. As above, they're OK but nothing special.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
nope.

Reactions: BJG

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exactly what I was expecting to hear. The only thing at this point that's holding me up on putting a woofer in the truck is what amp to use, fuse and wiring. I have a bunch of amps, many I would never use, but of what I would use I've got a JL JX1000, Slash 1000, 2 Slash 500s, and an ancient Precision Power bridgeable 2 channel 500x2 (iirc).

I am looking to get something around 2,000w, because the 12" SQL I had intended to use in the truck I have hooked up inside and don't want to get rid of.. so I will be getting a 12" HST for the truck instead.

That being said, I did watch a youtube video where they dyno tested the 3000w Brutus 3016.1D. It did not hit 3000w on any test. However, it did put out a little over 2500w @ 40hz @ 14v, less at 100hz, but did put out b/w 28-2900w on a music test.. which is why I asked in the first place. Given the announcement of the discontinuation of the Slash series, the used prices have literally doubled. I could sell 1 of my 500s, buy that Brutus.. and still pocket over $100.

Again, this is a temporary system, as it will be coming out in 10mos and the truck will go back to just being the old truck.. with that in mind does anyone have any budget friendly amp suggestions?

Keep in mind, I am an straight up bassophile, not an audiophile.. so I guess I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck to put a little more heat to that HST than just a 1000w.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
2014 Infiniti QX80
2 Posts
The Hifonics amps are nowhere near what they used to be. The Brutus monos were pretty good some years ago but they are a shadow of what they were at one time.

·
Administrator
7 Posts
So is there a specific year or time period where they changed hands or manufacturing and quality immediately declined?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The last of the made in USA by Zed (Steve Mantz) were the HiFonics Generation X (Gen X) amps. I’m not sure of the exact date, but I know they were still selling them in 2000 but I ran across an “inventory liquidation” deal back in 2002. Somewhere around there API bought out HiFonics and they came out with the HiFonics Generation XI amps (“Engineered in the USA”, but built in Korea?). I believe they were basically the same as an Autotec series being sold before the Gen XI series came out around 2000-2001 - maybe someone else can say for sure?

From what little bit I know about the "API" Generation XI amps (second hand info), they weren’t that bad for the money (much less expensive than the Gen X), but not on par with the older “USA” Gen X amps. At some time, API sold the brand to Maxxsonics and that’s when the brand really started “declining”.

For what it’s worth, I’m still running the HiFonics Gen X amps I bought in 2002 in my daily driver and have a few in NOS condition squirrelled away. The Gen X amps are super clean and quiet and I plan on continuing to run them until they give up the ghost – assuming my next car has room for them.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean by "NOS" and do you mind if I ask what you have squirreled away?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you mind if I ask what you have squirreled away?
Hi, my name is BadSS and I am NOT a Zedoholic.:) I just like sticking with something I know has a zero noise floor and works. None are for sale - I have plans to use the Boltar, Goliath, and Zeus in an 85 Monte Carlo SS I’m restoring and the rest will be “back-ups”.

New Gen X
Samson -- 75x2 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 103
Thor – 125x2 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 105
Goliath – 125x4 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 105
3) Para-1 -– 3-band Parametric EQ Module
3 4CHX-4 –- 4 channel, 2-way Crossover with Sub Output Module

Like New Gen X
Thor – 125x2 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 105
Goliath – 125x4 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 105
Boltar – 225x2 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 107
Zeus – 325x2 @ 12V, THD < 0.01% at rated power, S/N 109
2WX-2 -- Full Feature 2-way Crossover w/Parametric EQ Module

Currently using what was at the time of install a new Goliath (tweeter and rear fill), a freshly reconditioned Saturn (bridged for mid-bass) along with a like new Series VIII Pluto (bridged for center), and a Zed Deuce for the subs (couldn’t fit the Zeus). Plans are to replace the MS-8 in the next couple weeks with an Alpine PXA-H800.
G8 Trunk.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts