DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hifonics brutus brz2400.1 amp question

I've been reading and reading through tons of garbage trying to find an amp that's true and for a good price. I believe hifonics is good since all the reviews I've read have talked them up quite a bit and after downloading a pdf for the specs on there brutus line they seem to be amazing for the price. The only thing is they do not specify peak performance and I'm like down to purchasing this thing now!

I'll be running 2 kicker S15L7 D2's solobaric, that's dual 2 ohm voice coils that can handle 1000 rms and 2000 peak each sub. Wired up it'd be running a 1 ohm load. The brutus powers 2400x1 rms but what's the peak power since the 2 kickers are rated to take 4000 watts

I just bought 1 S15 solobaric for now and wanna get this going before purchasing the other and was probably just gonna run the 1 sub with the gain down til I buy the other.

TLDR (too long didn't read)
Will the brutus power 1 kicker 15L7 D2 solobaric then when I buy the 2nd be able to.power them both to there maximum capacity and *what is the peak power of the brutus brz2400.1 amp*

Thanks guys in advance, I try to keep em short and on point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for going through the trouble, I appreciate it.

I still do not see a listing for peak power? 2400 rms @1 ohm which ill be running to my dual 2 ohm voice coil subs, but no max power. I'm liking the reputation and they are cea certified and the distortion ratio looks good. Looks like they use high quality parts and a 250A fuse meaning its putting out some power.

I'm just gonna assume they are bad ass cause the specs besides that look good to me. Looks like I'm hooked on hifonics, thanks.

I'll be getting high quality 0 awg copper wiring for this and some other nice goodies.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
No Prob...Im New To This....But From What I Come To Understand Is Usually The MAXX Rating Isnt Important...Its the RMS....But From What I See...If The Max Isnt Listed Its Usually Double The RMS....Alot Of Companies Give Fake Ratings...OR List The Max Power First....I Have a 1000 watt crunch amp...(1000watts maxx)...Its Really a 500 RMS amp..So If 2400 is ur listed RMS...4800 Should be MAX....Im also Lookin For a mono amp....The Cheapies I Been Lookin At...Are 2000 watt max....but 1000rms @ 1ohm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Prob...Im New To This....But From What I Come To Understand Is Usually The MAXX Rating Isnt Important...Its the RMS....But From What I See...If The Max Isnt Listed Its Usually Double The RMS....Alot Of Companies Give Fake Ratings...OR List The Max Power First....I Have a 1000 watt crunch amp...(1000watts maxx)...Its Really a 500 RMS amp..So If 2400 is ur listed RMS...4800 Should be MAX....Im also Lookin For a mono amp....The Cheapies I Been Lookin At...Are 2000 watt max....but 1000rms @ 1ohm

That's not bad what subs do you have?

I'm building from scratch so i picked the S15L7 D2 solobarics, beast mode Haha , I'm new to this to kinda. I used to have a system way back and used to know a little somethin but forgot alot over time.

It's been 6 years since I've had the time and $ to get into this stuff, back in the day I had a couple week 12's 300 rms a piece or somethin like that. I'm pumped just to get this 1 15 hooked up Haha

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Forget "Max" ratings, they mean nothing. You want to look at rms numbers.

If you're looking for SPL(which I assume you are considering you bought an L7), the Hifonics amp should be fine. Just keep in mind they aren't the same company from the past and have been known for not putting out rated power.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forget "Max" ratings, they mean nothing. You want to look at rms numbers.

If you're looking for SPL(which I assume you are considering you bought an L7), the Hifonics amp should be fine. Just keep in mind they aren't the same company from the past and have been known for not putting out rated power.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Will do, if the 2400 isn't enough for both I'm just gonna end up getting another say 2100 or whatever is necessary since you can link em up, only thing that sux about that is its @ 2 ohms but doesn't that make for better response?

I'm trying to get the right air space for the most spl, yes I believe 6ft is max in a ported box but not sure, I have pdf's for all the specs besides not being able to find hifonics max output. I know the 2400 should power the 1 15 but Idk about 2, we'll see. If I end up getting a second amp ill need a yellow top or something cause i know that **** will kill my battery for sure.

I'll send a direct pm if I have something more specific. As for now I think I'm sold on the hifonics unless you have any better suggestions that could power both 15's for not an off the wall number.

Right now ill just be hooking up the one, but I'm gonna need the power for 2, let me know cause I'm bout to buy that amp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
220 Posts
U need 2 dual 4 ohms to get down 1 ohm. Return the sub if u can or just run 1 dual 2 ohm to get a 1 ohm load. You should ask for help in the spl section. Or search the kicker sub in that section

Tapatalk, the best thing since 3g data

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
U need 2 dual 4 ohms to get down 1 ohm. Return the sub if u can or just run 1 dual 2 ohm to get a 1 ohm load. You should ask for help in the spl section. Or search the kicker sub in that section

R u serious, omfg. I just saw the diagram for wiring one sub up and didn't account for the other, that'd put both of them at 2 then, f***!

This might be ok tho if i end up linking 2 hifonics tho because they can only run at a 2 ohm load then, correct?

I can just run the 1 at 1 ohm til I add the second sub and amp.?.?

I'll make a thread in the spl section and link this up to it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Btw I think u got the model wrong ur lookxing at the brz2400.1d rite. Well the max rms is its one ohm load at 2400w . If u want a stronger one look at the
Hif3000 it does 3k at 1 ohm. Or how about u get 2 amps one for each sub this way you so not have to return ur sub. Like 2 hif2000 pushing 2k at 1 ohm each

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The HiFonics class D amps are very popular amongst bass heads because they are fairly reliable and have lower prices compared to other name brand amps.
However.
I have tested a few different models of these on the bench and they do NOT do their rated power.
I just tested the Brutus BXI 2008D for a good friend of mine and the most we could get out of it was 1318 watts RMS into a 1 ohm resistor load with about 11.5 volts at the power terminals on the amp.This was a sine wave right at the verge of clipping.
He is running this amp on a 18 inch FI in a large (5+cu/ft)ported box and it pushes it fine.
Upon seeing the results of his amp he is now unhappy and on a quest to find a bigger amp or another matching brutus to run master/slave.He was fine with the amp before learning of the real output power.
I also know a man who has 2 L715's wired at 1 ohm run by an MTX TA7801 that I benched at 1150 watts RMS in an Explorer that is stupid mind numbing loud.
It hits harder and sounds better than the FI/Brutus setup and they are in the same type suv.
I guess what Im trying to say is that with the subs youve got dont skimp on the amp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I did, I typed it in wrong . It's because I was interested in a kicker ZX1500.1 before. I tried to correct it in my first post but it was too late.

I could work with that, 2k each 1 ohm each, could fix my little problem!

I'd have to get the bzr2100.1 then!?!?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The HiFonics class D amps are very popular amongst bass heads because they are fairly reliable and have lower prices compared to other name brand amps.
However.
I have tested a few different models of these on the bench and they do NOT do their rated power.
I just tested the Brutus BXI 2008D for a good friend of mine and the most we could get out of it was 1318 watts RMS into a 1 ohm resistor load with about 11.5 volts at the power terminals on the amp.This was a sine wave right at the verge of clipping.
He is running this amp on a 18 inch FI in a large (5+cu/ft)ported box and it pushes it fine.
Upon seeing the results of his amp he is now unhappy and on a quest to find a bigger amp or another matching brutus to run master/slave.He was fine with the amp before learning of the real output power.
I also know a man who has 2 L715's wired at 1 ohm run by an MTX TA7801 that I benched at 1150 watts RMS in an Explorer that is stupid mind numbing loud.
It hits harder and sounds better than the FI/Brutus setup and they are in the same type suv.
I guess what Im trying to say is that with the subs youve got dont skimp on the amp.
That's kinda wat I was gonna do master/slave. Is that mtx the thunder ta7081 super amp ? I can afford that.

Arnt you supposed to bench at 14 volts?

The price difference isn't really all that great between the 2

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I cant get 14 volts on my bench with a 120amp 12volt dc power supply and an 800cca 12volt battery and you wont get it in your car.My setup is what most people will find in their cars in a real world setup,100amp alternator and battery but my power wires are only 3 feet long.
The Hifonics is rated at 2000 watts and does 1300 were the MTX is rated at 800 and does 1150.
My intent was to show how different brands rate their amps.However watts is not the only thing to look at when considering an amp.
There is a big difference in the sound of class D amps.
If I had your L7's I would wire each one in series to get a 4 ohm load then run them parallel to get a 2 ohm load and search for an amp that does rated power into 2 ohms.
Also,I work with a lot of people who sell Kicker subs and they will tell you not to run 2k into each one or they will blow.Look for something around 1500 watts into 2 ohms to run them both.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's not bad what subs do you have?

I'm building from scratch so i picked the S15L7 D2 solobarics, beast mode Haha , I'm new to this to kinda. I used to have a system way back and used to know a little somethin but forgot alot over time.

It's been 6 years since I've had the time and $ to get into this stuff, back in the day I had a couple week 12's 300 rms a piece or somethin like that. I'm pumped just to get this 1 15 hooked up Haha
I Only have One Sub....I have a 12" mb quart rwe 302....600rms.....It Bumps...I Know I Need a Bigger Box Tho....Still Shakes **** Up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cant get 14 volts on my bench with a 120amp 12volt dc power supply and an 800cca 12volt battery and you wont get it in your car.My setup is what most people will find in their cars in a real world setup,100amp alternator and battery but my power wires are only 3 feet long.
The Hifonics is rated at 2000 watts and does 1300 were the MTX is rated at 800 and does 1150.
My intent was to show how different brands rate their amps.However watts is not the only thing to look at when considering an amp.
There is a big difference in the sound of class D amps.
If I had your L7's I would wire each one in series to get a 4 ohm load then run them parallel to get a 2 ohm load and search for an amp that does rated power into 2 ohms.
Also,I work with a lot of people who sell Kicker subs and they will tell you not to run 2k into each one or they will blow.Look for something around 1500 watts into 2 ohms to run them both.
I just figured running it at1 ohm would be better, if I wire each parrallel to seperate amps they would give me 1 ohm right. 1 ohm load would keep deeper bass right?!?! It says in the diagram that's its fine. So I would have to run each sub to seperate amps, I'm not cheap but not trying to buy something crazy off the wall, I just want TRUE power, ill pay a little more for it.

Oh and I don't see the mtx amp rated at 800. It says 1200x1 but I have been reading and I don't like the drop in power you described from.the hifonics when supposed to be 2000 and running 1300, I see the brz pretty much replaced the bxi amp you nexus tested which makes me question its integrity. I'd it was a dcs I see those used to do very well, they claim brutus onyx amps have replaced it but I have yet to see one!?!?!

I'm probably just gonna run each 1 seperate at a 1 ohm load, that way when I buy the other sub and amp here I'm a couple weeks I can upgrade my alternator and get a yellow top.

Thanks guys again, your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would love to run something like this seperate but now am I questioning the integrity of these amps!?!?! I don't mind spending a little cash just nothing too crazy. I definately wanna run seperate tho for a 1 ohm load and power these things with what they deserve.

I'd spend say$400- 450 per amp since both the mtx and brutus were quite a bit under that

Just since I've been getting conflicting information on those these brutus amps it makes me wonder.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts