DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on Modifying Hifonics VII & VIII amps.

If you guys have pics that would be great.
What can be upgraded.
What did you guys do and have experienced after mods...

THX...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
In what way do you want to modify them.There isnt a lot you can do except caps and op amps.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I want tO do is a full tune up on the amps. Do the kapton tape, new thermal grease up date the opamps , caps, mosfets, add maybe burr-browns, anything that will increase stability and reliability before I start my new project.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I sent my Olympus VIII to Steve Mantz a few weeks ago and got everything rebuilt on it, cost like 200 bucks but he replaced all the capacitors and upgraded to Burr-Brown op-amps and rebuilt the power supply to be more reliable, etc.

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
I sent my Olympus VIII to Steve Mantz a few weeks ago and got everything rebuilt on it, cost like 200 bucks but he replaced all the capacitors and upgraded to Burr-Brown op-amps and rebuilt the power supply to be more reliable, etc.
Hey man, just curious how long it took to get your Olympus back? He's had my Zeus VII since August and still hasn't fixed it. They have repaired it at least once, but it did not last through the burn-in process...:confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it didn't pass the burn test then your amp is in need of some real tlc for Steven. Give him time to get that baby back to its glory.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I forget how long it took, I think it took about a week or two to get it back, my amp was in great shape though. That seems like a decently long time, but not horrible, if your amp was badly damaged it may take a while.

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
I just got an email from Mr. Mantz saying he can only get half of the power supply working and has never seen this issue in all his years of working on amps. My Zeus VII = :smash:

It appears my amp has been a real PITA for him. My thoughts were, if he can't fix it, then who can? I'm sure I'll get it back soon, I was just curious the standard turnaround.

Also, sorry OP for taking this somewhat off subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts