DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, have a couple questions for ya.

Hifonics ZXi60.4+1K VS Audison LRx 5.1MT

I know there is a 1k price difference but in reality how much difference is there to the ear, in quality and power??

ratings are similar on output etc..

Is it worth it to step up for the extra $$ or not so much...

I guess i should tell you what im looking for first..

Looking for kick ass sound quality crystal clear and lots of umph when i feel like shaking my teeth lose..

Had a Colossus Hifonics back in the day pushing 2 18inch strokers but I was just a young buck then, and im not looking for that insane base any longer.. just thinking along the lines of a single 12 a set of 5 1/4 set of 6 1/2 and a 3 1/2 or 4 if i can squeeze them into the factory fitting..

on that note any recommendations on sub brand and front speakers?

Ive bean leaning towards sound stream as i recall them being a great speaker 15 yrs ago. but really kinda lost at this point its been to long since ive been in the game...

Oh and this is all going into a srt10 ram..

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It's like comparing Lexus and Suzuki. You are comparing cream of the crop vs one of the cheapest and lowest quality amplifier brands. My understanding Hifonics quality has gone way down after maxxsonics takeover. I have seen many reviews of their Zeus products claiming that some arrive even broken from the factory. This does not inspire my confidence in them. And specs are NOT the same.

On a side note, I have driven my speakers with 200-300 amplifiers, as long as they work its very enjoyable sound. Just buy some kind of middle ground amplifier brand and model instead, such as Alpine PDX or MRX, Kicker Kicker ZX700.5, or Boston Acoustics GTA.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
X2, but I would say it more like comparing Ferrari and Yugo. after Zed audio quit making hifonics, they went to crap. they dont put out rated power and dont sound good. I would buy somthing else, even if it wasnt audison.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I agree with the comparisons but I have to say, get the Audison. That's the same amp I run and can tell you, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the input, i thought hifonics was still a decent amp, i recall the old amp i ran back in the day " Colossus Hifonics" i sold used for $1100 new was 3k plus if i recall correctly... and it hit hard.....

Thats exactly why im on here asking your advice ive been out of the game way to long...

Now on that note, Im clearly not up to date on speakers either any input on type of sub or mids to pick up??

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ok thanks for the input, i thought hifonics was still a decent amp, i recall the old amp i ran back in the day " Colossus Hifonics" i sold used for $1100 new was 3k plus if i recall correctly... and it hit hard.....

Thats exactly why im on here asking your advice ive been out of the game way to long...

Now on that note, Im clearly not up to date on speakers either any input on type of sub or mids to pick up??
oh ya, those series Vii and series Viii amplifiers were ossum. I biult a few systems using those. they were the zed audio days and they did kick butt. Maxxsonics bought out the name and like everything they touch, ruined it.

goo place to start is budget. no sence recommending $400 comps if you dont want to spend that much ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my budget is not huge but ive got some money to spend if its worth it..

If the 400 comps are the way to go no questions asked and when running in the car I could say yep those sound much better than the 200$$ version then sure i would do it..

But i also saw some speakers for 3200 for mids on ebay.. that no would not do unless they **** gold .lol..

here are the speaker sizes I have to work with .

3 1/2 in the dash,

6/9 in the door but If i recall correctly you dont want a oblong speaker in your car so I think I would do a 6.5 or something in the door.

and the rear speaker is a 5 1/4 but I think it will be blocked by the box so I will put a speaker maybe mounted into the top of the box with its own chamber and aim it up.. so maybe another 6.5 inch...

So total speaker budget including sub say 1k,

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
dynaudio? Morel? I know what you mean. I wouldnt be able to pull the trigger on $3200 mids either, lol.

nothing wrong with oblong speakers. if you dont want to make an adapter, then the image dynamics X69 would be a good choice there. if you get the XS69 with the XS28 tweeter, you could put that in the 3 1/2" location. that might not be ideal depending on where in the dash it is, but if you build a little mounting pod, you might be able to aim it where it needs to go.

you ever considered HLCDs?

I wouldn't worry about the rear speakers to begin with. you wont need em if you do your front stage right.

soo many subs to choose from it is hard to recommend one. what kind of bass do you want? do you know how much power you are gonna run? space is a consideration?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well room is limited im thinking 1 12 sub.. ive got 2 nitrous bottles behind the seat right now but might have to move them to the bed.. If i move them then i will go 2 12s ..

Now the only problem with the front end speakers is that the door speaker is right behind my calf so it gets muffled thats why im thinking maybe add the rear speaker as well..

And would you go tweeter in the 3 1/2 spot vs an actual 3 1/2 and maybe mount the tweeter in the center of the dash..

as there is a center speaker which is normal not used in aftermarket but if I could pull it out and put the tweeters under there that might be a good option..

And for HLCD's no I have not heard of these, tell me more please..

again been out of the game for 15 yrs.. when I left Rockford only had kick ass amps no entry level crap.. and my Hifonics amp rocked lol.. lots has changed..

im gonna go grab some pics of my speaker locations and see waht ya think,

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
for me personally, if the 3 1/2" location was good, I might put the tweeter there. I usualy dont like seperating the tweeter and the mid that far though, so I would put the tweeter in the door closer to the midbass. I wouldnt do the tweeters in the middle of the dash idea. imaging and staging will be terrible

here is a good place to learn about em.
HLCD - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

I put in the ID CD1eMH in my escape and was blown away. best imaging speaker I have heard. for your situation, it might work really well. since you only have to play the midbass up to 1khz and then let the HLCD take over from there, the less than optimal location for the 6x9 wont be quite as important. (and dont be put off by the looks of the install. took me 2 hours to install them for the first time)

lol, I know what you mean. I had a few RF punch and power series amplifiers. those things were amazing. I had a 35w x 4 that blew away my friends 100x4 kenwood. he was pissed, lol. Hifonics were nice too, best sounding amplifiers for the day IMHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok doing some reading now,

and ive got to post a couple posts to get to the minimum to posts pics..

so some pointless blather lol

Oh ya speaking of the old days.. I had a 75 watt x2 pheonix gold amp was maybe 12 inch square 2 think black fins all over the surface... which i ran 2 dual voice coil crankenstiens off of down to 1ohm and that nocked the sox of my buddies cars with 3 and 4 amps lol... i think it hit 142 db,, that was loud back then now apparently they have single subs hitting 170s...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok apparently even after my post minimum i still cant post pics. so

looking at my door speaker the cover to the door is round like there is a nice 8 inch sub back there lol.. but when you look threw the grill you can see its a 6.9.. do you think I could mount the tweeter back there as well beside the 6.9 if i use that as it seams there is quite a bit of room to the shallow side of the 6.9.. which might be plausable.. or just do a 6.5 speaker and put a bracket in there and put the tweeter beside that ...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Ok doing some reading now,

and ive got to post a couple posts to get to the minimum to posts pics..

so some pointless blather lol

Oh ya speaking of the old days.. I had a 75 watt x2 pheonix gold amp was maybe 12 inch square 2 think black fins all over the surface... which i ran 2 dual voice coil crankenstiens off of down to 1ohm and that nocked the sox of my buddies cars with 3 and 4 amps lol... i think it hit 142 db,, that was loud back then now apparently they have single subs hitting 170s...
the record for now is a single 18" Z95 digital designs. 182dB. 24kwatts, lol.

if you have a pic hosting site, just link it here.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ok apparently even after my post minimum i still cant post pics. so

looking at my door speaker the cover to the door is round like there is a nice 8 inch sub back there lol.. but when you look threw the grill you can see its a 6.9.. do you think I could mount the tweeter back there as well beside the 6.9 if i use that as it seams there is quite a bit of room to the shallow side of the 6.9.. which might be plausable.. or just do a 6.5 speaker and put a bracket in there and put the tweeter beside that ...
if it is behind your calves as you suggested, I wouldnt put the tweeter there. you wont hear it. the 6x9 would be ok as long as it doesnt have to play very high. 1khz max. more midbass duty than anything. then a mid and tweet high in the door or the dash. your 3 1/2" location could work for a widebander or a standard 3 1/2" and a tweeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that model Hifonics in my car now. For the money its a solid amp that does rated power on the front channels and just below on the sub @ 14.4 volts. It is not the cleanest amp though. Some backround hiss when listining to a 0db track on my test disc. For a daily driver I find its a great amp. If I was going to compete again, it wouldn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the pics are kind of random now as I have no way of describing what is what.. but you will be able to feel your way around im sure..

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
that is alot of freaking NOS, lol. how much power you have there? :eek:

that is actually not as bad as I thought. I would disconnect the dash speaker and not worry about it. replace the 6x9 with either a good quality 6x9 (like the x69) or make a baffle and put a 6.5" in there. then either rite above the speaker grill mount your tweeter. aim it up and a bit back to crossfire it. alternately you could mount the tweeters in the sail panels. either of those locations should work really well.

of course if you decide to go with the HLCD route, you wouldnt need a tweeter. that truck would work REALLY well for a HLCD install.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Umm she runs 700hp plus 100hp of no2 so around the 800 mark :) never enough lol..

check that folder in a minute gonna upload some pics of the truck if ya want to check it out..

ok looking into HLCD now ...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts