DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a little worried about spending money on gear and potentially blowing it up. Can I get some reassurance here? :D

I like it loud, but not just to get a high meter reading. I was born with bad ears and turn it up to compensate. (but no thumping sub to piss people off, tyvm.) If I go fully active and use appropriate crossover settings and keep the volume below the level of the front row at most rock concerts, I should be good, right?

I see posts of people blowing up drivers with all kinds of wattage with pretty sweet setups and that's not good...

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
1) get drivers that will handle the power you have.
2) set gains correctly
3) dont play it flat out

I have never blown a driver in 20 years. when a driver is being over driven is sounds distorted, stay away from that and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you smell the epoxy used on the voice coil, turn it way down/off immediately ;)

For power handling, voice coil size is pretty key.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd hate to suggest to someone not to go active but, I really feel you may be an exception. My first read of your thread I instantly thought of SPL but, in reality you are talking about having a real loud linear system and high db's that would be around 120-130 db range. One of my loudest systems was built with mid-high end coaxials such as the RM6 and RM9 from Boston Acoustics. I am not sure what is available today but, I find a lot of the coaxials can take more abusive power and get loud very well. Just my .02

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all for the suggestions.

1) Pro Audio - I've heard this term tossed around, but how do I know where to look for those? I saw the subforum about them here, but that one seems to be mostly about home theater.

2) Coaxs - that's interesting. I'll admit I've considered putting an efficient set in the dash with a bassblocker for cheap thrills... :)

Team Bassick - Kimo: You nailed it. My hearing aids(that come out for car listening) do around 120db nominally and have a setting to allow well into the 130's on their 'music' setting. I just didn't want to go tossing db numbers out here because I figured that would mean a straight steering to the SPL area. :)

I've been leaning towards running something like a Legatia L8/L3 combo. Those seem capable of some pretty serious output reserves. (No need for an actual tweeter in my case with the hearing loss.)

I should mention that the cheapo base factory stereo in my truck plays loud enough for me - obviously sounds like crap(not distortion, just crappy).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wouldn't put the bass blockers in. I'd run a strong 4channel with decent crossover settings and maybe an eq or something in the dash. we are talking about going a little old school but, it gives you really good control and very wide range of frequencies.

No doubt I am sure no matter what components you choose the Sound Quality will go up but, 120db is pretty damn loud when you are talking about music (pink noise). As for tweeter options you may appreciate an older titanium tweeter over a silk just based on your hearing needs. Some say that they are very harsh and they can be but, adjusted right they can be accurate as well.

I strongly stick by my suggestion of coaxials just for pure volume. by all means that doesn't mean this is going to be cheap. look in to some of the ID's and Boston ones and they will run some cash as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts