DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m taking advantage of my new installation of what some consider old school audio gear and also some current modern gear to let anybody interested see how it’s done on a 5th gen Outback. The auto is a 5th generation 2018 Subaru Outback Limited I got recently after trading my much liked 2004 Outback in on. I removed most of the audio equipment from the 04 before trading in hopes of using it in the new 18 Outback. This consists of Audison Voce Due amp and Illusion Audio c10XL sub, and a JL Audio HD600/4 amp that I sold to fund a Audison Voce Quattro. I was never crazy about the HD600 but mainly got the Quattro so I’d have the Due/Quattro pair and quality class A/B current. Then I already had a Image Dynamics XS65 set and Linear Power 952 amp for which will be used for the Dynaudio MD102 tweeters while the Quattro will be bridged to power the XS65’s in the front doors and Audiofrog GB25 mids.. The tweeters and AF mids will be housed in the German aluminum pods and mounted on top of the dash at the base of the front pillars. And so the Newest School is a new Helix DSP .3 and Director that will bring it all together. Wiring is TSpec V12 series. The 18 Outback being a Limited has the Harman Kardon sound system and Eyesight navigation to be integrated with the DSP .3. Dynamat Extreme covered with Dynaliner is being used in the front doors. For now this is pretty much it as I’ll be adding some much better speakers and dampening to the rear doors in the near future, along with dampening of just about anything that can be reached. It took me a while to locate somebody I trusted since I’ved moved half way across the country from TN to CO and it’s quite different. I feel grateful to have found Anthony at Custom Audio in Silverthorne. His shop is a little over a hour away but still he’s also the closest Car Audio shop from where I live in Grand Lake. His knowledge was apparent but his obvious passion for this hobby and more traditional pricing did it for me. At this point we just started today and with a few pics I’ll quit typing until there’s more to talk about tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you thinking about upgrading the sound system in your 18 Crosstrek? This is the first time I've tried showing a install so I do apologize for the lack of detailed explaining and less than perfect step by step instructions but I guess we have to start someplace if we're interested in our cars and sound systems enough to do one of these editorials w/pics. One thing about this install is that we aren't doing any vehicle modifications other than a couple holes in each pillar for the tweeter and mid pods. I would think that even a 1st timer with experience handling a screwdriver and wrench, who has a little common sense, would be able to accomplish installing a system such as this, even though it might take a little more time than it took Anthony to do this initial set up. .Josh is the one other employee at the shop in Silverthorne who helped putting things back together toward the end but fortunately he stays busy taking care of pretty much anything else that happens to come in while Anthony is going wide open on my car. We spent the last couple hours trying to tune the sound after spending the previous hour and a half trying to get the Helix DSP.3 to reconnect with the Director. I bought the DSP.3 from a member here and after trying every conceivable thing we could think of and calling the Audiotec/Fishcer company in Germany and the owner of their new distributor in Canada to absolutely no avail, I even called Crutchfield to ask who they would call for Helix customer service but they didn't have any phone number or go to person for Helix and I never got in touch with anybody. So on that subject, don't believe a damn thing you may read about Helix having great service tech support, or any support whatsoever, in this country any way. BUT, in the midst of all the searching for tech support the DSP.3 somehow righted itself and began connecting so we were able to get things set up. Still messing with the sound settings but man, this is what we work for. I don't think I've ever heard a sub woofer in a car just disappear and become part of the music like this Illusion Audio C10xl is doing in this system. And imaging that sounds like it's coming from the center of the dash. Separation and dynamics are awesome and that's why I like amps with dual transformers in their power supplies. Got somer more photos coming
7332B799-DA7A-4A6B-8863-C64CDDDDC820.jpeg
D76EF992-F292-41B7-9669-84B4F2DC2E7B.jpeg
F7EBC2F0-6261-4E1B-B451-7E917D2C0E54.jpeg
CC19DBEF-C4D0-4794-AD3A-5C967AC3205E.jpeg
02026A4F-489D-4271-AAC0-801A70D80C8F.jpeg
8F2C14EC-6D2E-46FA-827B-EDA802A0C293.jpeg

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been a week since Custom Audio finished this initial front stage installation. First thing I noticed was the rattling of the left side mid housing hitting against the dash on the rougher areas of the road. Then as I am closer to home the music stops, comes back on, and then stops again, except for low volume sound coming from the sub. I had to be in Frisco for a dental appt the next morning and with Custom Audio on the way in Silverthorne it wasn't a problem to stop in and have Anthony take care of the problems. He put a foam or something ring under the left mid and that stopped it from rattling, for now. I thought of putting a metal strip on the inside of the pillars to strengthen the attachment for the mids but Anthony said it wouldn't make any or hardly any difference. Seems ;ike a popular response for "I don't feel like working." He replaced the fuse in the power cable under the hood and that took care of everything playing again. Now I need to have a good tuning done to the system because the mids pop, as if the amp is clipping, but the volume level is still low. The popping in the mids doesn't stop with the volume way down and I've even turned the gains on the Audison Quattro all the way down, but still the popping continues. I'm searching for a good speaker to use for rear fill and because the person reviewing this rear fill write up was using Audio Frog GB25's I was thinking about me using the tweeters from the Image Dynamics XS65 set so I could save money but then I'd need another amp or get larger speakers for the rear and use the Extant 302A amp. New information says it's better to mount rear fill speakers up high and when I get this done I'll be adding Dynamat/Dynaliner to the inner rear doors, and probably the middle cabin panel between the front and rear doors. I know it sounds like a lot of money being burned on a lower tier family man's car but if this 2018 Outback lasts as long as the 1999 Outback I still have, and drove to work last night in a Rocky Mountain blizzard , then this 2018 Outback could very well be my last car and I feel justified in putting some serious money into it. And besides, I used to blow as much money as I have spent on the new set of wheels/tires, every almost single week, and for a lotta years. Nothing to show for it. That's a whole nuther story but for now I love music and sound equipment and I am grateful to have a strong interest in it. It's a hobby for people who have more money than anybody really needs but without it I'm f'd to the max. As I have lost interest in just about everything else.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
regarding helix CS, two of the top Helix guys in the country are on this forum. SkizeR and Dobslob

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how much actual intelligence either person trying to tune my system has. And I don't see how a company could keep building a product if only a minute percentage of people are able to utilize it. The quality of install on my Outback was pretty good but now it's up to me to tune the system myself or find somebody around here who doesn't expect a Orthopaedic's salary to do it

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I don't know how much actual intelligence either person trying to tune my system has. And I don't see how a company could keep building a product if only a minute percentage of people are able to utilize it. The quality of install on my Outback was pretty good but now it's up to me to tune the system myself or find somebody around here who doesn't expect a Orthopaedic's salary to do it
I believe the DSP.3 has an auto EQ feature built into it. Also if you can confirm in advance if all the speakers are wired correctly in regards to polarity, Skizer does remote tunes where he logs into your computer.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kidding? I had not even thought of that. I'm pretty almost certain the entire system is wired correctly. Thank You much for having enough concern to even give me a heads up about Skizer. I'll shoot him a message and ask what he thinks. Have a nice one my friend : )

·
Registered
351 Posts
I believe the DSP.3 has an auto EQ feature built into it. Also if you can confirm in advance if all the speakers are wired correctly in regards to polarity, Skizer does remote tunes where he logs into your computer.
Hmm. Wow, I didnt even think of that. Way cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts