DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to get a dual alternator kit for my 97 town car. I'm looking for the best values when it comes to brackets/kits and the alternators themselves. I've heard a lot of HO Alt makers make them so that you only get rated amperage at like 4k rpm and less than half at idle. I've occasionally seen people strongly recommend a certain brand or two (can't remember which), saying that they put out rated power at 1500 rpm and like 90% of that at idle.

So please, share your real experiences with HO Alts and dual alt kits and brackets.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have a DC Power alternator, the 270XP. I do recommend them. Stan over there knew his stuff.

Edit to add: I like how the DC Power HP and XP series has the square wire... It wastes less space in the windings and is thus able to do more with less overall space taken. That and the fact that they knew their stuff so well when I talked to them on the phone is why I chose them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have used a lot (40-45) of Ohio Generator's alternators and only had one problem ever, and it was taken care of under warranty very quickly, and it probably shouldn't have been covered. They have always made at least their rated power and have never had any noise or ripple issues. I even run one in my Jeep I use for rock crawling as it makes a lot of power at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mechman,dc power, and Ohio generator.

Dc power I've heard now is kinda slow on alts. They do good work and power though. Worth the wait imo.

I personally run mechman and Ohio generator. Great alts:) both do power at idle very well.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well...here's my first hate on a mentioned manufacturer...

All due respect JT BUT, I pre paid Stan at DC Power for an alternator in June. I was assured that there would be a 5 week build. I was still watiing at the 9/10 week period. No real word from DC Power, even after multiple calls and e-mail to Stan and DC Power.

Finally, after receiving NO support or communication for an alternator that was paid for...I was forced to have the bank do a chargeback.

I even asked for a response in a last ditch effort to give DC Power a chance. Not a peep. Just crickets.

Thumbs down for DC Power in my experience.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had heard a lot of complaints about DC taking forever to ship alts. Singer and Mechman make good products. I went with a smaller company. BnR electrical. I got a 250 amp alt for my truck for $230 shipped. My next purchase from them will be a dual alt kit with belt, alt, wiring harness, and mounting bracket for $540 shipped with another 250amp alt

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

All due respect JT BUT, I pre paid Stan at DC Power for an alternator in June. I was assured that there would be a 5 week build. I was still watiing at the 9/10 week period. No real word from DC Power, even after multiple calls and e-mail to Stan and DC Power.

Finally, after receiving NO support or communication for an alternator that was paid for...I was forced to have the bank do a chargeback.

I even asked for a response in a last ditch effort to give DC Power a chance. Not a peep. Just crickets.

That sucks since they are the ONLY company that makes a alt for my car, without serious modification (brackets/regulators etc.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone put an ammeter on their alt to measure how well it does at idle, 1500, and 3000 rpm? I'm just wondering if I pay for a 300A alt, is it going to realistically be able to put out 250A+ at idle?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well what I did with Ohio gen when building the apt for my truck is told them the ampm draw and what I'd like the alt to put out at idle. They were able to accomodate me and when I had a problem with an alt they built a new one and I stopped by and swapped it immediately. A little concerned about the failed alt but it was the first one built for my truck when it was new to the market but the customer support was top notch.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts

ooops, I'm corrected. I think I did hear about this story, my bad for forgetting about it. though, I didn't know it was you, and hope there isn't another story like it. I think we share the same motor in our cars/buckets, and I know they didn't make one for me, and I was waiting for something, but not really checking either.

that's pretty bad customer service. I really don't have a lot of faith in people these days. I know they make great products, and are local, so I can drive down there, and it does weigh in on my decision a little on products I'd consider.

sorry about your experience, sqcomp, good to hear all experiences.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I have known the owner of DC for years. They build nice alt. I had them build alts for my 59 vw bug, my 04 vw passat and we are planning on a youtube build for my vw cc. Sorry if any of you had a bad experience. They do know what they are doing and also with the owner being a former competitor, he knows what to do when it comes to building charging systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts