DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally figured out what am doing with my front soundstage and I just need some help figuring out what is my best way to go for an amp. I have went back and fourth on what sas going to put up front, but I have decided to put 2 sets of boston pros up front in the doors (custom) with two sets of imaging tweeters. I am looking at a few amps and I just wanted to see what guys would be the best way to go and if you think of any others amps let me know.

1) Zapco DC 1000.4- 150X4
2) Hifonics XX Olympus 4ch 1000- 125x4
3) JL HD 600/4- 150x4
4) Alpine PDX 4.150- 150x4
5) MmatsSQ4150- 150x4
6) Memphis MC4.125 -125x4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want something cheap. I want to get an amp that is gonna make these 4 speakers and imaging tweeters sound amazing.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
If you don't want something "cheap", then you have those:
Rockford T15004 - 286x4
Brax X2400.2 Graphic Edition - 148x4
Sinfoni 120.4x - 148x4
Ground Zero GZUA 4125SQ - 135x4
Zapco C2K 4KW - 603x4
Areon T41500 - 241x4
Audison Thesis Quattro - 152x4
Dragster DH 1804 - 178x4
Brax Matrix X4 - 292x4

Might be missing a few but this is a good list to start with...
Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take a look at Sundown audio (soundsolutionsaudio.com): they have great amps !
I've never tried them but they have great feedbacks.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I have finally figured out what am doing with my front soundstage and I just need some help figuring out what is my best way to go for an amp. I have went back and fourth on what sas going to put up front, but I have decided to put 2 sets of boston pros up front in the doors (custom) with two sets of imaging tweeters. I am looking at a few amps and I just wanted to see what guys would be the best way to go and if you think of any others amps let me know.

1) Zapco DC 1000.4- 150X4
2) Hifonics XX Olympus 4ch 1000- 125x4
3) JL HD 600/4- 150x4
4) Alpine PDX 4.150- 150x4
5) MmatsSQ4150- 150x4
6) Memphis MC4.125 -125x4
Out of your original list, the DC1000.4 would be the best choice IMHO. However, if you don't need the built in processing then I would do just like King Nothing mentioned and check out Zuki Audio as I don't think you'll find it's equal anywhere close to the same price. The JL HD series amp is nice as well, but over priced for what you get. (again, that's IMHO only) Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
If you don't need the DC processing then buy the REF series.

On a more price friendly option I would look at the Zapco I-force series.

Also the Audison LRx 4.1k and Hertz HP4 would meet you stated needs. Neither is cheap though.

On a more price friendly option the Hertz EP4x.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I forgot to mention that the regular Ref series from Zap as well as DLS Ultimate amps would make my list. Thanks for the reminder on the standard refs Genxx!

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I don't want something cheap. I want to get an amp that is gonna make these 4 speakers and imaging tweeters sound amazing.
The Planet Audio BB175.4B is about the strongest 4-channel amp available and they didn't used to be cheap. I paid $250 as a 'clearance' price back in September for mine. The amp used to be sold online for $325. Right now you will only find refurbished BB175.4B models but they are ridiculously cheap for the power you get. $150 shipped last time I saw one selling. That is the most REAL power for the dollar I've seen. I think you have to step down very slightly to a big ol' honking 25"L Cadence amp to get a price near it for similar power. The amp is very clean with no hiss even when using gain to boost a 2v pre from my JVC HU. The only hiss I hear is from the HU itself. My BB175.4B's gain is FAR cleaner than I need and it's damping factor is greater than 400. It's a very good amp. Assuming the amp was refurbished by a qualified tech, the amp is a steal right now if you can find it.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out how two sets tweeters is going to work out for SQ purposes. Boston tweeters already are capable of piercing my ears with just a single pair. IMO, you're going about this all wrong.

Anybody else see the issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Planet Audio BB175.4B is about the strongest 4-channel amp available and they didn't used to be cheap. I paid $250 as a 'clearance' price back in September for mine. The amp used to be sold online for $325. Right now you will only find refurbished BB175.4B models but they are ridiculously cheap for the power you get. $150 shipped last time I saw one selling. That is the most REAL power for the dollar I've seen. I think you have to step down very slightly to a big ol' honking 25"L Cadence amp to get a price near it for similar power. The amp is very clean with no hiss even when using gain to boost a 2v pre from my JVC HU. The only hiss I hear is from the HU itself. My BB175.4B's gain is FAR cleaner than I need and it's damping factor is greater than 400. It's a very good amp. Assuming the amp was refurbished by a qualified tech, the amp is a steal right now if you can find it.
+1000

Got one as a refurb. on ebay for $150 shipped. Absolutely pure clean power. Too bad the seller no longer has any... I should have bought two. These don't have all the options as the high end gear that has been mentioned in this thread, but for the money they simply CANNOT be beat. No noticeable distortion... Seems to do rated if not more.

Dan

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I didn't really like Boston Acoustics tweets myself, but I'm not one to criticize since I like my infamous Infinity Ref tweets. It's my opinion that Boston Acoustic's tweets sound "metallic" for lack of a better description on everything, even human sibilances and water sounds. Not as natural as I think tweets need to sound. I seem to prefer fabric and silk tweets.

I figure if those speakers are his preference, let him have them. Lord knows I know what it's like to take flak for standing pat on my choice. I don't think I'll do it to someone else. :blush:

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
+1000

Got one as a refurb. on ebay for $150 shipped. Absolutely pure clean power. Too bad the seller no longer has any... I should have bought two. These don't have all the options as the high end gear that has been mentioned in this thread, but for the money they simply CANNOT be beat. No noticeable distortion... Seems to do rated if not more.

Dan
Yeah, at high volume my JL midbasses seem to hit as hard as my subs off this amp. I actually debated buying another one when I saw the price and bridging it to a ridiculous output (this amp on 4-ohms bridged will do 700-watts! x 2 according to the birthsheet on mine). This makes it more powerful than my Cadence sub amp if the right impedance is used and the output bridged. I think this amp @ 4-ohms x 4 is doing more than 175-watts. It's just my impression. The birthsheet states 351-watts @ 2-ohms x4 with no 4-ohm listed. There is a chance the amp may only do 175-watts RMS though because it's voltage is regulated from what I understand. Again, great amp and I don't regret paying $250 for mine. I would honestly have paid more after having been using it now for several months. Whoever gets one, even refurbed for $150 is a lucky bastard.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that Boston tweeters are bad, I was stating that it will be difficult to achieve SQ harmony with two pairs of tweeters and woofers. Reading is fundamental.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that Boston tweeters are bad, I was stating that it will be difficult to achieve SQ harmony with two pairs of tweeters and woofers. Reading is fundamental.
Ahh. Yeah. I am fundamentally flawed. :blush: But we all know that. hehe.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts