DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

3601 - 3604 of 3604 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
I have used several amps over the past 6 years ranging from RF, LP, McIntosh, MTX, PPI, ARC AUDIO, POLK AUDIO, JBL, ZED, LANZAR OPTI, JL AUDIO, KICKER, ECLIPSE, Etc, Etc. While some amps did have a sound that was pleasing to the ear, I noticed that amps with higher power ratings set to a decent pair of speakers whether they were separates or coaxials sounded just as good as the so called higher end amps. My point is an 100 watt x 4 channel of a good brand sounded just as clean, crisp and clear as the so called higher end brands such as Brax, McIntosh, etc. The same applied to bass as well. I swapped out several good brand of amps with higher end amps to notice very little difference in sound quality using a sealed enclosure. If this is the case, why spend so much money on the so-called higher end brands?
I dont think you have used amps. Once you hear an amp line driver is required will change your mind.. I have jad a JL Audio 500.1v2 vs a Zapco dc500.1 and a JBL Ms500 not only the accuracy but also the attack on the speed of the bass. The Zapco clearly hits you in the chest. JL amp is just like a burp. The JBL was just full of distortion that you wont notice till you compare it to something far greater in SQ. You dont know the difference in this sort of thing till you experience it...

·
Banned
15 Posts
So I have a question... this may have been brought up in this 144 page thread, but it's a bit much to read.

I think most people are on the same page that high end amps are not worth it. The other thread with blind amp testing (admittedly a small scale) is also showing cheap amps are more than capable. So what do you consider the sweet spot? What is the best bang for the buck?

For 4 channels, it seems like Pioneer's line has insane specs for the price. But your options start to get limited for 6. 8 channel there's pretty much only high end stuff.
Look for an OLDER SQ amp of around 10 years old or a OLDER amp of 20 years old thats been recapped and serviced... FOr example the Zapco DC series of 10+ years ago is probably the best bang for SQ you will find.
SoundSTream Rubicon and Class A amps are great also but they are old now and I wouldnt trust the capps inside plus the exterirors are usually banged up. I will NEVER buy another half azzed "affordable" amp again. Ive spent so much money trying to find a decent amp for a low price.. I coulda just spent a couple hundred more and got exactly what I wanted albeit a little older than the newest greatest model...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Generally speaking, in terms of SQ, what are people's opinions on newer Rockford Fosgate amps. Particularly their Punch Series.
Got a pair in my daily, nothing but praises here.
Punch amps kick ass. They are stupid underrated are easy as cake to set up with C.L.E.A.N. I noticed a HUGE difference switching from pdx (generally considered very good class d amps) to punch class ab amps for mids particularly in warmness of midbass and lifelike reproduction in vocals. I will never go back to class d for mids and highs

3601 - 3604 of 3604 Posts