DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for a recommendation for something with a low ish to lower Q 6inch or 8 inch midwoofer that semi shallow (no monster magnets plz) maybe neo or small (3” or less depth)

I’m putting them in small sealed two part enclosure in kick panels , the mounting chamber is going to be tiny and will be very prone to standing waves on cone and the kick will have a 4” tube that extends up into subdash and will be mated to a .3 cu ft sealed (or ported) enclosure (up to .3 or smaller depending on Q) total vas will be .4 to .5 cuft

The 4” tube will be 3” long and will also tune the upper chamber to 220 hz based on preliminary measurements and plots.

I’ve tested the enclosure with a Dayton rs180 8” metal cone woofer and having “smashing” results

A Dynaudio would work nice , what else is out there that’s under 150ea and has lots of damping and a stiff cone? Power handling needs to be minimum 100wrms with a fs under about 45hz , sensitivities is not a concern , obviously it will be low with high damping, these will be used to fill a very short bandwidth.

Any ideas much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Not sure if you can find them anymore, but the specs on the Stereo Integrity TM65mk1 (original) sound about perfect for you and the mounting depth is only 2.3"

T/S Parameters

Re 6.8 ohms
Fs 44 Hz
Qes 0.33
Qms 2.12
Qts 0.28

Le 0.82 mH
Sd 14230 mm^2

Vas 17.7 L
Mms 21.3 g
Cms 615.4

Sensitivity (1w/1m) 89 db
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m)89.5 db

Xmax 9 mm
Xmec12 mm

Marketing INfo

• 2.3″ mounting depth

• DUAL 4 Ohm voice coil
  • XBL^2 motor topology
• UV and water resistant paper/wool composite cone material

• Ideal for “IB” car door installations or

very small ported alignments Ported enclosure recommendation is 0.3 ft^3 (8.5L) tuned to 56 Hz

• 120 watts RMS Power Handling

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you can find them anymore, but the specs on the Stereo Integrity TM65mk1 (original) sound about perfect for you and the mounting depth is only 2.3"

T/S Parameters

Re 6.8 ohms
Fs 44 Hz
Qes 0.33
Qms 2.12
Qts 0.28

Le 0.82 mH
Sd 14230 mm^2

Vas 17.7 L
Mms 21.3 g
Cms 615.4

Sensitivity (1w/1m) 89 db
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m)89.5 db

Xmax 9 mm
Xmec12 mm

Marketing INfo

• 2.3″ mounting depth

• DUAL 4 Ohm voice coil
  • XBL^2 motor topology
• UV and water resistant paper/wool composite cone material

• Ideal for “IB” car door installations or

very small ported alignments Ported enclosure recommendation is 0.3 ft^3 (8.5L) tuned to 56 Hz

• 120 watts RMS Power Handling
By goodness that does look very excellent!

And I’ve tried a lot of drivers , I want something new. And I haven’t had this one.
This looks perfect. And yeah it’s familiar, seen lots ppl run them, so that says a little.

Wow that’s great I will find a set and try this one if I can get hands on a new or like new set

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mk1 is a little bit unobtanium at the moment........ I found a singe for sale that looked beat to snot.

Crap. Okay what else that’s readily available

(And it looked excellent). The mk2 looked good, especially for off axis , but these will be mostly on axis , and not sure if I am vrave enough to try a flat piston. The mk3 looks like it’s good also, maybe fiberglass or carbon fiber , if it’s carbon fiber that could work if the back of the cone is doped with something. But out of my price range

Never turned my head as si much, but dam the specs are all most too good to be true

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a wtt post out , if someone has a prestine set I will pay fair price

I can only imagine most sets have been in doors (weathered) and door Installs is hard on drivers , so we’ll see what pops up

A new set would be amazing

·
Listener of Music
2,945 Posts
The mkiii are carbon fiber and are the second best 6.5's I've ever used. The first and second one's are equally good (to each other) but the ii's play better high up. I own all 3. There first version is probably perfect for your needs. You could pm the owner ( he's on here) and see if he has a set laying around. They quite often keep some for warranty repairs. The WTB thread is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if I'd do sealed with the first version TM65. F3 will be kind of up there unless that's your goal

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Ooh good to know ,

Well my buddy that works at focal wrote me back (not orca but the actual focal) and the
Flax p20fse will play with fidelity to 250hz

It’s rated as a subwoofer and the data sheet only shows responce to 200

In 6L it’s high Q has a peak at 45hz (Qts1.2)
Which is not a horrible spot to have a peak for up front bass and blending with another sub. 11mm xmax and 200w and it’s highly damped .....so besides the high Q (which I’m not crazy about) however the other geometry of the speaker makes it work for this .......

I want it to play bass up to about 110hz that’s it , I don’t want it to go higher , there basically going to be used as upfront low power subs with eq as a crossover to control excursion and any cone problems from the tiny first chamber.

So lowish power is okay and overlap with sub where appropriate.

So maybe I’ll do the flax sub in kick and the WM 8 in the door.

The MK1 looks excellent, low Q low Fs high Xmax, but the flax I think might be okay what you think

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Oabeieo - I’m pretty sure I’ve got some new in box TM65 MK 1s at the shop. I’ll be back out there on Thursday and will pick them up and get you pictures. Then we can discuss cost and payment via PM.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oabeieo - I’m pretty sure I’ve got some new in box TM65 MK 1s at the shop. I’ll be back out there on Thursday and will pick them up and get you pictures. Then we can discuss cost and payment via PM.
Hot diggity .... yeah send some pics and think about a price , thank you sir

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SI is Jacob Fuller is it not?

It’s basically a sundown speaker.

So the only thing he considers is linear travel above all else. So this might be exciting, maybe . The sundown neo pro is not my favorite midrange. So hopefully it’s more hi fidelity rather than just loud

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I don’t like is there paper.
I thought it was poly or something else.

Paper isn’t super damped , but it sorta is also. I was wanting a stiff cone. This thing might buckle under the torcher of that tiny pod. What do you think?

I was thinking Kevlar, aluminum, polypropylene composite (like dyn)

Can you bend the cone with your hands ? Is it flexible like paper , or is it stiff and rigid paper. I’ve never seen a set so I don’t know

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone chime in and explain mini review style on the tm65 ?

Like is it smooth bass or is it rigid bass, is it wet or dry sounding? (Using audio terms that mean nothing but you get the jist of it)

I feel like this is still a very good woofer to use. The paper , how thick .........never mind I just need to try it already :)

I can’t wait! I’m so excited to try it .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts