DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i run a pioneer AVH-4300 DVD head source unit and an Alpine PDX-F4 Amplifier at the back

My question is this where is the better place to select where to control the highpass filter is it better at the Source head unit or at the Amplifier

Pioneer headunit - 50hz Upwards

Alpine PDX-F4 - 30 hz upwards

If i control at source i realized it sort of made my music brighter , just kindly advice the more efficient place to control the highpass . THanks guys :D:D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Considering the circumstances & configuration of your system layout, controlling HP Filtration from the HU is ideal due to convenience. However, ideal accessibility would be thru an Active Processor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel that the amp is more capable of doing so that's why is prefer to use it over the headunit. Not sure if that's bs but that's what I do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel that the amp is more capable of doing so that's why is prefer to use it over the headunit. Not sure if that's bs but that's what I do.
So you allow the Head unit to send out a full range signal and when it gets the amp you set crossover frequency at what you want?.... my focal KRX2 component set has a freq response of 70HZ to 20KHZ. Should i set the highpass freq at 70HZ on my alpine pdx-F4's ??

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
As far as setting your HPF, you'll have to play with it a bit. try 100hz and under and see what you like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So you allow the Head unit to send out a full range signal and when it gets the amp you set crossover frequency at what you want?.... my focal KRX2 component set has a freq response of 70HZ to 20KHZ. Should i set the highpass freq at 70HZ on my alpine pdx-F4's ??
Exactly. keep the HPf on your HU off and then you can set it at 70 hz on your amp and then try to experiment with it. I started at 70 changed it to 80 and then settled happily at 75hz. Most use a HPF of 80hz.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You don't need a LPF and a HPF if your running passive. The crossover network will do all that for your, run them full.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
You don't need a LPF and a HPF if your running passive. The crossover network will do all that for your, run them full.
So your suggesting sending a full range signal to the passive components? That's not a good idea.. hp anywhere from 70-100Hz and see what's best for your application. The passive will handle the mid to tweet transition, but won't prevent sub frequencies from getting to your mid/mb, that's why you'll want a hp prior to the passive xover.

·
Registered
898 Posts
So your suggesting sending a full range signal to the passive components? That's not a good idea.. hp anywhere from 70-100Hz and see what's best for your application. The passive will handle the mid to tweet transition, but won't prevent sub frequencies from getting to your mid/mb, that's why you'll want a hp prior to the passive xover.
Most passive networks have the proper filters and require no need to do anything else. If it does not, then apply a filter.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree... you still need a hp filter. The passive crossover does not have a hp on the mid. 80hz is a good place to start

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
But 100HZ is too HIGH... i love my music to have depth and lows, especially since focals are on the "bright" side
well, slowly lower it until you find a point where the midbass can handle the lows without distorting. that could be 100hz or it could be 60hz depending on how much power you are sending them, how your install is, how your eq is, etc...etc... 100hz is just a starting point. start there and slowly lower it until you find the speakers threshold.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Don't forget about the slope of the roll off.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
But 100HZ is too HIGH... i love my music to have depth and lows, especially since focals are on the "bright" side

"try" 100hz and "under" and see what you like. I didn't suggest set it at 100hz...

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have it crossed over into a sub definitly have a hpf on the mids so that you can put more power to them without over excution and distortion. the sub is going to be filling in the lower frequencies anyway. its usualy around 80hz but depends on your setup and cars acoustics. so you might have to play around with it. Higher and amps have more adjustabilty of the crossover frequency and often rolloff at 24db/oct as compared to most head units offer 12db/oct rolloff.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all your Inputs. I think putting it at 63 hz or 80HZ from the Head unit pioneer does the trick. Then i allow my Alpine PDX to accept the full range of whatever my Head unit sends , so i set alpine amplifier at 30 HZ. Subwoofer LPF is set to 100HZ on head unit and i noticed that when i adjust the subwoofer LPF on the head unit it instantly affects the tonality of my music , i guess Pioneer didnt make subwoofer and woofer/tweeters function mutually exclusive. I guess there is some sort of algorithm in the HU that makes one affect the other. I found this quite interesting

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks guys for all your Inputs. I think putting it at 63 hz or 80HZ from the Head unit pioneer does the trick. Then i allow my Alpine PDX to accept the full range of whatever my Head unit sends , so i set alpine amplifier at 30 HZ. Subwoofer LPF is set to 100HZ on head unit and i noticed that when i adjust the subwoofer LPF on the head unit it instantly affects the tonality of my music , i guess Pioneer didnt make subwoofer and woofer/tweeters function mutually exclusive. I guess there is some sort of algorithm in the HU that makes one affect the other. I found this quite interesting
Your post confused me. So youre using your headunit high pass and low pass on the amp? What do you mean you set it to 30 hz on the amp?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your post confused me. So youre using your headunit high pass and low pass on the amp? What do you mean you set it to 30 hz on the amp?
Headunits have both HPF for your normal 4 chanel, and LPF for 2 chanels

1 - 20 of 22 Posts