DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goals are to remain nearly 100% stealth. This install will give me a chance to stick with cheap drivers since my install won't let me take advantage of what a more expensive driver has to offer. The stock system doesn't sound bad at all and just needs a little help. What better cheap drivers to use than the stock turds in there now. I'm not looking for the best a Ram can sound but moreso something that's just listenable. I'll be amping each dash mid and front 6x9 with all the attentuation needed to levelmatch and time align. Until I get the box built for my new Sundown sd1 v2 I'll be amping my stock rears for sub duty. Anyway, on to the pics.

Loctite on the bolts made me have to use a swiveling breaker bar. It worked barely.

Not sure what this is but considering I don't like how the console bolts to the middle seat I have nothing to worry about here.

Look at the underside of the carpet. That's one of the reasons the cab is so quiet.

Brought my wires through an empty grommet going into the cab and under a piece of weather stripping. Had to step the wire down to 18g to make everything go back together right.

See how the 16g is keeping the trim from going back like a should from the thick high quality jacket. The 18g that I forgot to take a pic of has a really thin jacket so all you see is 2 pieces of wire going behind the panel. There wasn't a way to get in through the boot

To get power to the stock dash speakers I had to figure out which wire went to them. After doing the pop test with a AA battery I found it was through the plug that plugged into the stock x9 in the door.

Looks like I have at least 3" behind the speakers. That should be plenty for most respectable mids.

That's it for today. Tomorrow the amps will be installed under the front seats, headunit installed, connections made, and interior put back together. Overall this really hasn't been a difficult truck to work on but being hot out today had to take frequent breaks. Will get a fresh start in the morning and do the finishing touches. I'm hoping getting the cables up from the floor to behind the headunit won't throw me a curve like the doors did.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
That plastic panel looks ripe for some deadening. It also looks like it's bolted on, so you should be able to yank it easily and do both sides, yeah?

On my car, the boot that connects the door to the interior wasn't just a rubber tube. It was a friggin pigtail. I had to drill holes through it to pass a speaker wire through and then use the stock wire for the other speaker. See? It can always be worse. ;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sucks they moved the speaker so far down in the door compared to the last gen ones.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That plastic panel looks ripe for some deadening. It also looks like it's bolted on, so you should be able to yank it easily and do both sides, yeah?

On my car, the boot that connects the door to the interior wasn't just a rubber tube. It was a friggin pigtail. I had to drill holes through it to pass a speaker wire through and then use the stock wire for the other speaker. See? It can always be worse. ;)
I'm not too worried about resonances right now as I won't be pushing these speakers hard enough for it to matter. Once I put something respectable in I'll do a full deadening job on the panels.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
******* tech flex=electical tape.
You know me too well Jon:blush:

But really, I don't go heavy on the ******* techflex anymore:laugh:

·
Registered
666 Posts
looks fun! interesting approach, speakers being the last upgrade. i can understand it though. doing it in steps, and keeping tunes going along the way. i like it, cant wait to see more!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Very nice sir! Looking forward to this build!

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn, is that closed cell foam on the underside of the carpet? I'd kill for that **** in stock form!
It might be. Either way it's about an inch thick. I'm probably going to do ID xs69's in the front doors and have some stuff in mind to make it even more quiet than it already is. Door treatment was the last thing on my mind when doing a rush install with stock speakers amped. When the stock badyears wear out I'll most likely put Uniroyal Crosscountry tires on it so that should quiet it down even more.

I'm still working on the tuning but right now the stock turds up front don't sound too terrible bad. Had to cross at 1600 to get them to blend. Also think flipping polarity on the dash speakers would help as well. Will try it when I have time. Been busy all week with fishing and camping. Drove home to get a good nights sleep. Sleeping in a cramped top bunk in a camper doesn't allow for solid sleep.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm always impressed whenever someone installs on a brand spankin' new ride. Subscribed!

Also, really impressed by the backing on that stock carpet.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok swapped to aftermarket speakers. I'm running focal polyglass v1 mids and these tang tweets. Notice what happens at 15k. I'm hoping this rise will work for me. Parts-Express.com:Tang Band 25-1744S 1" Ceramic Dome Tweeter | Tang Band 25-1744S tang band tb speakers dome tweeter ceramic dome hard dome non-metallic dome

First off I jigged some adapters for the 6" mids and tweets. It was pretty basic by just tracing the stocker on some .5" cutting board and that's it. Here's the dash mid/tweet being traced.

Notice in this one the top of the line passive filter Chrysler uses on these 2.5" widebanders;)

I used ensolite on the mounting surface of the cutting board. While I'm thinking about it I used .25" for the tweets. After using ensolite on the mounting surface I'm going to put that in the "what NOT to do category. You'll see shortly why I'm saying this. Next time around I'm priming and painting.

And here's the mids in the doors. Should have countersunk the factory screws that go into the mounting locations. There isn't much bite there. I'm putting Peerless Exclusives in sometime in the fall so I'm not too worried about it.

With the panel on it's almost too close for comfort. I don't think the mids will buzz the panel but if they do the fix will be easy. I like keeping things as close as possible without causing problems.

One thing you've probably noticed missing in this install is sound deadening. At this point the install just doesn't need it. The Door locations are sealed pretty well from the factory and the truck rides really quiet. If I notice any resonances I'll proceed with deadening but at this point it WILL NOT be used. Everything is pretty rigid in its stock state. Doors also close with a solid THUD. The 09 Ram is a joy to work on and leaves very little grueling work to be done once wires are run. Only downer is the only "good" place for the amps is under the front seats. If my PG Xenons can fit under there anything within reasonable size can. Pics aren't shown of that because it looks exactly like something you'd see rolling out of the Best Buy install bay. Nothing special but safe, tucked, ziptied, and functional. If something's hidden I could care less about looks anyway.

With there being too much in the way of a center console and me wanting to keep it simple I'm doing a prefab from subthump and a pair of RE SR10's. This setup will be removable for just in case I need to fold the rear seat up and set something big back there that needs to stay dry and/or away from thieving hands.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Wow. Still not bad sir. I like the cutting board idea. I might have to adapt that instead of the 3/4" MDF I used in my 2008. I am afraid that my mids ARE touching the doorpanels, and I just don't hear it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll never use mdf for mounting rings again. Cutting board is a lot sturdier andholds screws better.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
That is awesome. I will make a note of it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After a round of heat exhaustion I went out to give the left side a listen. Had some panel resonance on my arm so decided to deaden the passenger panel since it was still pulled off. Drivers side will most likely get deadened tomorrow.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was going to say, with deadning your only going to improve what is already a solid car, from your description. With time, the doors would have started to get some flex.
Now that you have treated the doors you have taken care of the issue, before it became a problem! Good work and nice to see a KISS aproach to a new car too! COngrats.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts