DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how they stack up. Debating between these and XT19. Anyone have data and/or experience with the OW1

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the OW2s in my car. I love them! If I were to buy them over I think I would try the OW1 or OW3. Maybe the OW3 because I never see anyone using those.

I wish I could speak a little more about their performance but I have actually never compared them to another tweeter of its stature. It absolutely destroys the compact tweeters I have tried from CDT and every other one I have heard.

I have a pair of Seas 27TDFC that will be its next opponent and some LCY130s that John Krutke has at the moment. Check out www.zaphaudio.com for his ribbon tweeter comparisons in a few days.

Edit:
IMO the Hiquphon's capabilities can also make it a bad tweeter to have in a car. If you intend on using this tweeter at high levels I suggest having a lot of processing capabilities to allow for smoothing of its FR in a car. With some recordings these tweeters can be really sharp!

A

·
0 Posts
Curious how they stack up. Debating between these and XT19. Anyone have data and/or experience with the OW1
I've heard both and ended up with the XT19. The OW1 and OW2 are very,very similar in sound though not exact. These choices are highly subjective in nature. You won't go wrong with either. What isn't subjective are the numbers. The XT19 can be crossed lower and has an edge distortion wise. Some ears prefer a little extra distortion to add a bit of detail (though artificial). Mine don't.
The data: http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mark/Testing/Tweeter4/tweeter4index.htm
(if you don't understand all the numbers just go straight to the bottom)

Cheers,

AJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
tried OW1 and Ow2
i like this tweeter alot.. very smooth mild sounding.
Ow1 suit better for 2 way front it can cross lower.
Ow2 find it harder to match unless ur mids driver able to play high. most 5" prob suits better

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I think the Hiquphons are nice tweeters. I only have experience with the ow-II but it sounded great, with plenty of top end detail and sparkle... and very low coloration. It does tend to get spitty/hissy without a little bit of top end contouring Imo. And I'm also a bit partial to the xt25, for it's lower price and what I feel is a bit "richer" sound.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang, I thought you preferred the xt19 to the xt25?

Anyone, without spending a fortune ($180 max for a pair) what would you recommend for a tweeter that can go down to at least 2k, and has a great deal of air, detail without being harsh or spity / sibilant?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hiquphon or one of the highly touted Seas tweeters

Maybe something from Scan-speak or the Dayton RS28a, even the Usher there are a bunch

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got a set of Hiq OWII is my DIY home speakers. I can't really compare these to much, but I'll agree with what has already been said. The are very detailed and have an airy quality that makes my DefTech towers sound kind of boring. But they don't sound quite as full. That could be due in part to my choice of mids. However, they do come as a matched pair. Each one has it's own spec sheet and the owner of the company signs off on each one personally, or at least this was the way it happened a few years back. That is some quality control!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts