DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Holy Cow, deh-80prs Auto T/A Eq WORKS!

31K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  gijoe 
#1 · (Edited)
I just finished installing and setting gains etc and ran the
auto T/A eq tune on this HU and I must admit it is pretty awesome.

SOME of the things afterward had to be adjusted slightly but not by a whole heck of a lot. I had to decrease a little distance on the highs a touch to make them further out onto the dash/hood area and same with the midwoofers/vocals. I also only had to pull the image left by about 2-3inches. I had to bump up the subs a bit as well because it set them terribly low and I wanted a little more low punch but not too much...

But as far as general setup to get it close this thing kicks butt IMO!

Given the literally thousands of variables with slopes/LR levels/time alignment it may have taken me several weeks if not months to get it sounding this good! It did a couple of things that I may have never even tried truthfully, because it went against what my gut and head told me about my hi/mid crossover points/slopes.

I will even go so far to say that I may be selling a nearly new mint condition audiocontrol dqs with controller soon... My system sounds pretty darn amazing now with only a few tweeks... Needless to say I'm pretty blown away and headed outdoors with LISTENING in mind, instead of endless tuning.

Score 1 for Pioneer!

{EDIT} I forgot to mention that I don't even notice my rear light fill is gone... don't even miss it in the slightest! Going active was the BEST single decision I've made with my setup.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm pretty happy with auto TA myself, but I just don't have much to compare it to. It certainly sounds better than not.

What I'd really like to see, purely out of curiosity, is two sets of numbers (distances for each driver) from someone who has SOLID experience using the "only by ear" methods described on this forum compared to the auto TA from the 80prs.

I think it would be interesting to see the numbers compared b/w what someone experienced with tuning comes up with vs. the HU.

#3 ·
Yeah that might be interesting, but as I said, I did still have to tweek here and there, but it got me to a really good starting point as is...

*I pulled my seat forward a hair and reclined my seat a touch then put the mic over a light headband and sat in the car with the mic sitting at the top of my nose facing forward in approx the same spot my ears would be... no joke! :p

My neighbors probably think I'm slightly delusional... but what the hay... all in the name of audio right?!

#4 ·
Ya, I've been spoiled over the last 8 years in having Pioneers, 860, 880, 800 and now an 80.;) I remember being blown away when i replaced my Alpine 9815 with the 860. Never went back the Alpine or any other HU brand.:)

#33 ·
If I understand correctly, when performing the auto T/A & EQ, you leave your crossovers untouched prior to testing(ie. "pass")? I will be using Pioneers Auto T/A for the first time shortly and had assumed I needed to set crossover points prior to auto tuning(to protect tweeters from the tunings low frequencies etc)
Thanks.

#5 ·
I found the ta to be in the ballpark but the eq was not very good at all for my ears. That's what it comes down to....each persons ears. Our own perception to frequency varies. I have been running active for yrs and manually tuning is the norm but for someone kinda new to it....the 80 prs will get you in the ballpark. Sometimes hearing a different soundstage is automatically registering in the brain as OMG this is fantastic. In reality it might just sound different..granted this hu does sound incredible when dialed in but IMO not just by running the auto ta and eq. Then again it's up to the individual and if you like the sound you hear...more power to ya...enjoy.

#7 · (Edited)
I used a PAA3 31 band analyzer to get things dialed in as far as eq goes...
May be selling that too if someone is interested?... I've accumulated a bunch
of extra "stuff" this last month during the system change.

FS:
TRU Technology 90x4 amp (steel series, like new purchased from a dealer) $400 (retail $899)
Phonic PAA3 31 band analyzer (like new) $350.00 (retails $450)
Audiocontrol Dqs 31 band eq with controller (like new) $400 complete, retails $570

All items in like new condition with boxes/manuals etc and only 1 month old (except TRU amp, 2010 model, was a dealer demo board amp, but still newish condition)

#9 ·
turn the unit off. Then press and hold the eq button to the right of the multi control. It will say stop on the screen press the cnter of the multi control and that will start the auto eq/ta. Close the door and it takes about ten mins.

#12 ·
Just installed my 80PRS last week and already ran the Auto EQ/TA once. Results are impressive but I do have one concern:

I run only mid-woofers in the rear doors, no tweeters. I want to cross them over for midbass reinforcement but I am afraid that the 80PRS will see this as "lacking highs" and it will try to apply a ton of eq in the top range. Thoughts?

#15 ·
I just installed my DEH-80PRS a few days ago. I haven't had time to play with auto-anything yet, but look forward to it. So far I have matched levels by ear, TA by ear, and configured crossovers using a recommended setting for the speakers, which are running in "network" (active) mode. The sound is definitely better compared to where I am coming from (Kenwood X994 running HAT Imagine "quasi-active" front). The goal is to eventually connect a TrueRTA setup to the aux RCA input and see if I can understand what their auto EQ does, and may be improve on it.

#16 ·
I installed my 80prs this weekend. I am currently running this hu with all factory speakers on my new truck because I am slowly buying the goods to install in the near future. 100% factory 6 speaker Dodge Ram 2500. After the auto eq, and TA, the system sounded decent. It's very clear, very crisp sounding. The TA seems to be in the ball park, but I will def be tweeking the eq a bit. It's a little too crispy for my liking, and the whole sound needs to be warmed up a bit. The low end is lacking, but it distorts pretty early so I have to keep the lower frequencies set modestly....AGAIN, factory stuff here. The background images are pretty cheesy especially the soccer ball going into the goal haha. I love the buttons, and levers...all feel high quality. The ipod/iphone navigation as super fast. I am very stoked to hear this once I get high quality stuff installed in the truck and run an active set up. Good job Pioneer

#17 ·
I always had a great starting point with pioneers auto eq. I would change the crossovers often as they were at times odd. These days I have pioneer gps DDs with the auto eq, which is much less intensive than the one in my 880, it still does a good job as as starting point, then I tweak.

#20 ·
Time to wake up this thread I did not see a reason to start a new one. I received my new 80PRS last night and ran the auto EQ and TA and all I can say is WOW what a difference. I have some learning to do but so far I really like how it set everything up. It did lower the sub some and I am happy with that since the mids and highs sound so good. The sub is in its way out as soon as I build an auto tuba for the trunk anyways.... so glad I did not go with the Kenwood X996. :beerchug:

#29 ·
Dumb question of the day....
From memory when I briefly had mine installed, I believe you could see the TA settings the auto-tune determined, but not the EQ settings I think. So I believe the unseen auto-EQ levels become your new flat baseline.

If you wish then to do say your own tuning for EQ, but agree with and want to keep the Auto TA, could you simply run the auto, then record your TA settings, then deactivate the auto-tune, re-enter your TA settings, and roll your own manual EQ?

Or would it even be easier than that by turning auto-EQ off, and maybe it even keeps your TA settings, and you can simply start EQ'ing in a Custom field?

... I've about talked myself in putting the 80PRS back in the 2-way car, pulling the Helix DSP for use in the tacoma for 3-way front-stage planned there. So trying to learn up on this unit more on things the vids and manual aren't so clear about.

#32 ·
Nice! Then you can swap over to the Auto-EQ and at least audibly compare to the custom.
Ok.. That rascal is going back in because I only spent two days with it just messing without the car actually back together. Thanks!

#35 ·
Change it. I can pretty much guarantee that The ta for the sub is off. The pio auto sucks for that.
Also the reason that the bass is so low is that the auto eq tries to make the sound flat . No curve. You can turn your subs up a good 6 to 10 db. You probably need to roll the highs of starting around 2khz as well.

A super quick and dirty way to set your subs ta is to play an 80hz test tone with the sub turned low like it is , set the ta of the sub the same as the speaker with the least delay and start moving the ta for the sub higher in inches until the tone sound like it's coming from your dash.

#36 ·
Yeah, the title of this thread is misleading. The auto TA/EQ on the Pioneer units has never been very good. Trust your ears because I have never had the auto tune give good results and I've run it several times on the Pioneer 880, 80, and 99 head units, neither worked well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.