DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What does hope have to do with it?
(One pretty much knows what it will do before building it.)

The power supply determines the rail voltage and the current available determines the impedence of speakers it can push.

Why not go for 8 ohm speakers? And run higher rail voltage?
And what SPL requires 30W RMS?
I don't have the power supply yet so I can't measure the exact voltage. remember this is for fun and for me to learn and I have a good amount to learn.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The mini aleph in 4 channels would’ve fit that heat sink better.
I'll have to look in that thank you. I have redesigned the heatsink. I was going to put liquid cooling inside but there are space limitations so I'm going to have water passages in the outside heatsinks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll have to look in that thank you. I have redesigned the heatsink. I was going to put liquid cooling inside but there are space limitations so I'm going to have water passages in the outside heatsinks.
For sure, this can be made to work. But you really should have a clear plan for what you need the 4 channels to drive, how loud you want to listen (in class A operation), necessary bias current, idle power output of the mosfets, operating temp of the mosfets, and a calculated strategy to remove that heat.

If you're aiming for 10-15w - possibly enough - you will only need a couple of 30x30cm heatsinks. If you're aiming for 60w, you will need an additional bumper mounted radiator. These are very different schemes.

(Also, getting clean power will be a substantial consideration)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
For sure, this can be made to work. But you really should have a clear plan for what you need the 4 channels to drive, how loud you want to listen (in class A operation), necessary bias current, idle power output of the mosfets, operating temp of the mosfets, and a calculated strategy to remove that heat.

If you're aiming for 10-15w - possibly enough - you will only need a couple of 30x30cm heatsinks. If you're aiming for 60w, you will need an additional bumper mounted radiator. These are very different schemes.

(Also, getting clean power will be a substantial consideration)
Thank you I really appreciate the input. my plan was to use it for tweeter and midrange speakers.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The base plate gave me troubles it was .016" undersized across the 6" width the thickness was within 2 thousands. and there is a bow across the 6" width. I expected the extrusion to be off but in my experience they are normally oversized and not as bowed.as for the rest I have a large power supply that I have coming for the amplifiers. any input that guys have told me is greatly appreciated. I have books specifically on amplifiers and there circuitry that I'm going to read through and there are more that I want to get with more math calculations and formulas. the last time I really got into Electronics and making my own circuits was about 10 years ago and I actually made an adjustable voltage regulator . now granted I didn't make any of the circuits for the amplifier that I'm working on it should still teach me alot.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I have the liquid cooled heatsinks designed now and there's enough room to put the cooling system inside the amplifier chassis. I'm just waiting for the the rest of the parts to come in. In the meantime I'll have to drill and tap a lot of holes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Keep up the good work man. Even though it's not anything that i would ever try myself, I'm following this. It's turning out amazing so far!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have ordered almost all the material and parts they should be here by next week hopefully. it will have liquid cooling. I still have quite a bit of machining to do and all my metal working equipment is manual so it will take some time to make everything.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
the crappy weather is delaying my materials. this morning I got stuck in the middle of the road I couldn't even make it to work. lucky for me work got cancelled.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So much of the country is needed up due to weather right now. I've had so many delayed parts shipments at the dealership, customers not happy. Even though far from the snow and ice, it affects us. Hope everyone is safe though!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I have TWO questions --

1) Where is the cooler/ radiator going to mount on the amplifier?

2) When it is finally finished, are you planning on mounting the amp under the driver's seat ?? LOL

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
1) the radiator will mount just below the top cover there will be vents
2) amp rack lol when its done it's going to be pretty big

21 - 40 of 75 Posts