DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Home Depot can kiss my ass

6K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  danno 
#1 ·
I gotta vent on something,

I finally get a day off, first one in 3 weeks, to build my kicks. I ended up wasting 4 hours, a gallon of resin, 2 packages of woven matt, 5 paint brushes, and a tube of mekp all because home depot decides to let their $40 a gallon resin just sit on the shelf for god knows how long. All though, they might dry in a few days, but then again, they might not, either way they would have been finished today.:mad::mad: And of course they wouldn't even exchange it for another gallon.... I didn't expect them to but damn.... bottom line is that they sold me some product that was bad and old. Oh well, maybe they'll dry overnight.

#2 ·
Have you used good quality resin before?

I ask because the stuff from Home depot is garbage, whether left on the shelf or not. There is a good chance the stuff you used is brand new. Don't bother with HD or Bondo brand for fiberglassing ANYTHING. Find a local boat repair place or order from US Composites.

#6 ·
I know everybody says it isn't any good, but I've never had a problem with the hd/bondo curing within a few hours at the most. It's just so sensitive to the mix ratio, you really have to be careful or you will get inconsistent results, no matter what brand it is.

Out of curiosity, how large were the batches you mixed, and how much hardener did you use?

I only ask because I just spent last weekend making about a dozen batches (4-6oz at a time) with about 10 drops of hardener per ounce, and it worked fine. Come to think of it, this must be about the sixth time I've used the bondo resin, and I've never really had a problem with it.

I'm sure there is better material out there, but for the size of a typical autosound project, a trip to hd for a gallon of bondo is very convenient. If I ever needed more than that at a time, I suppose it would be worth it to order from a dedicated supplier.

#9 ·
I thinks its the age that makes a difference. US Composites warns not to use MEKP that is more than 2 months old. I've been using polyester resin, MEKP and fiberglass for 25 years and the only time I've had problems was with a can from Home Depot. Since I had to blow dust from the top of the can I have to believe the stuff I bought was too old. Probably would have been fine if I used fresh catalyst. Other stores may sell enough to have relatively fresh material on hand.

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure it was the age of the resin. The first cup I made hardened in about 4 minutes. The rest has yet to dry. I think the chemicals seperate over time. I measure everything out before I mix so I know it's mixed right.

#10 ·
I have used both the HD/Bondo brand and a very expensive brand from the marine shop here in town. The marine brand soaked in the mat quickly ans caused less bubbles. It goes down quick and easy. The HD/Bondo brand takes a little more time and effort to get it to work right but still works. I always mix the bondo brand hot, it's a lesson learned just like you.

#11 ·
I'd never go there again . . .

I gotta vent on something,

I finally get a day off, first one in 3 weeks, to build my kicks. I ended up wasting 4 hours, a gallon of resin, 2 packages of woven matt, 5 paint brushes, and a tube of mekp all because home depot decides to let their $40 a gallon resin just sit on the shelf for god knows how long..... bottom line is that they sold me some product that was bad and old. Oh well, maybe they'll dry overnight.

#15 · (Edited)
At work we have a 50 gallon drum with an automatic dispenser of some good ****. I think I'll just borrow a half a gallon.

Problem solved.

EDIT: I've never been someone to steal, I just went ahead an ordered 5 gallons of B440.

#17 ·
This is why if I ever have to use questionable or old resin I do a test batch to see how fast it goes off.....or cures....or catalyzes, which ever terminology you prefer.

#18 ·
No date on the can? Last one I bought I coulda swore it was dated....

Does storage in freezing conditions affect resin?

#19 ·
as an employee of a close competitor of the orange box i have to say, just think about how many people really use fiberglass in the amounts we do. this stuff sits around for a while because it isn't a very consumer friendly product. that said if you go find a manager they shouldn't have a problem ordering some new product for you, if they do, shop with the other guys. i have access to the sales numbers of this stuff, and i have to say it moves a few gallons a year:( we sell the elmers brand which is probably just rebadged bondo stuff but i haven't had a single problem

#20 ·
So you hate HD, because you didn't test your resin first?

US compostes stores it's hardener in the freezer/refrigerator till it's shipped... Often times it's the hardener that goes bad..

You MAY be able to pull it off yet still, set the parts out in the sun for a day or so... the heat may cure it up...

#25 ·
I think you should, don't let things like this scare you away from fiberglassing. Fiberglassing **** is cool and the possibilities are endless.

Go for it!

#30 · (Edited)
Thumbs up for the B-440!:D

2% mix gave me about 25minutes working time, it dries evenly, no clumping or crap, it has a little lower viscocity which is very nice but tends to run so you gotta sit there and keep messin' with it but that's ok, easier to get air bubbles out, just overall a bad ass resin....and it's purty:D

Thanks for the reccomendation!

#32 ·
Will also confirm laying another hotter layer on top of sticky layer will work, in fact you have to, i waited for three days once thinking a cold batch was going to eventually dry and after the third day i covered it with hot and problem solved. I use HD Bondo brand by the barrel full and didn't think i ever had a problem with it until i read this thread...

But I always mix way to hot hot hot anyway because i am an impatient f*ck!
I go through more catalyst than resin! FYI to HD Bondo buyers; the last time i was in HD buying the **** i noticed that someone had removed one of the hardeners from under the plastic mix/lid. If you don't already know, one gallon is supposed to some with TWO tubes of catalyst. Buyer beware becasue it's $5.00 at my store for another! And that is why Home Depot can kiss my ass!

#36 ·
it curesi can confirm this it i have done this and sanded through that layer and its hard no gummy stuff or sticky

i make mine hot too it wont catch on fire unless you do it in your car that's just my luck hahah

i really wish i could find a place to keep a 55 gallon drum in my garage cuz i would have bought one already

it would be sweet to have a pump for resin and one for hardner and alwalys get a perfect blend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.