DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a couple rolls of this today, butyl with aluminum. Feels very very much like some of the expensive stuff out there....though I'm no conniseur.

I've always had the theory that the sound deadening we're sold it high priced re-branded some sort of industrial use something or other.

Anyway, this stuff =comes to a little over a buck a square foot. vs. 4$ or so for the name brand stuff.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100594339&navFlow=3&keyword=quick+roof&langId=-1&searchRedirect=quick+roof&storeId=10051&end[email protected]69a15904&ddkey=Search

Anyone seen this yet? tried it? I was going to do my floor today, but installed an extra sub and another pair of 1KW amps....I'm not sure what happened exactly, I guess I got a little sidetracked. I won't get a chance to put this in til late next week now, but for 16$ someone else ought to compare it to the name brand stuff (like someone who has name brand stuff floating around)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Picked up a couple rolls of this today, butyl with aluminum. Feels very very much like some of the expensive stuff out there....though I'm no conniseur.

I've always had the theory that the sound deadening we're sold it high priced re-branded some sort of industrial use something or other.

Anyway, this stuff =comes to a little over a buck a square foot. vs. 4$ or so for the name brand stuff.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100594339&navFlow=3&keyword=quick+roof&langId=-1&searchRedirect=quick+roof&storeId=10051&end[email protected]69a15904&ddkey=Search

Anyone seen this yet? tried it? I was going to do my floor today, but installed an extra sub and another pair of 1KW amps....I'm not sure what happened exactly, I guess I got a little sidetracked. I won't get a chance to put this in til late next week now, but for 16$ someone else ought to compare it to the name brand stuff (like someone who has name brand stuff floating around)

It's not really the same type of adhesive in Second Skin, but I would venture to say it's close to or identical to Raam Mat or B Quiet. Here's a section of text I took from the link you gave:

"rubberized asphalt adhesive"

In my opinion I would use this instead of anything but Dynamat Extreme and Second Skin. It should work!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used PEEL & SEAL from Lowe's on my Mazda CX-7 and it have been working perfectly, no peel off at all, holds strong. 36" x 33.5' Roll for $80

My old Dynamat feel off on my trunk in my old car, PEEL and SEAL haves more sticky glue.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's not really the same type of adhesive in Second Skin, but I would venture to say it's close to or identical to Raam Mat or B Quiet. Here's a section of text I took from the link you gave:

"rubberized asphalt adhesive"

In my opinion I would use this instead of anything but Dynamat Extreme and Second Skin. It should work!
I didn't think that raammat bxt had asphalt. Thought it was pure butyl. So, why do you put dynamat and second skin in a different class than the other pure butyl options?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I didn't think that raammat bxt had asphalt. Thought it was pure butyl. So, why do you put dynamat and second skin in a different class than the other pure butyl options?
FYI I just sold two rolls of Raam Mat after working with it in a friend's car. It comes off easily with mineral spirits and is extremely sticky, much like older peel n seal when it got hot. I don't see how it could be pure butyl. Second Skin and Dynamat are superior products. I have worked with most others and they just don't stick as well as SS and Dynamat. I have two rolls of BQuiet sitting here right now and I honestly can't tell a difference between it and Raam Mat, looks the same, feels the same, is just as messy, smells the same and when I was cutting it into sheets, the adhesive gummed up the knife exactly like Ramm Mat did. While I was in Germany I used Second Skin, Dynamat and two products sold there only, once called Sinus Live and another that was distributed by the JL Audio Distributor. This second product was not manufactured specifically for vehicles, but for industry. It had a grey butly adhesive that was very high quality and had aluminum that was thicker than any others I have seen period. I just hate to see people buy overpriced peel n seal. Go Second Skin of Dynamat Extreme or head to Home Depot or Lowes.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well, that's news to me. I don't know that I've seen anyone else equate Raammat BXT to peal and seal. I don't have any SS or Dynamat on hand to compare, but I do have Raammat BXT and can say it doesn't act or smell like asphalt mat that I used back in the 1990's. Everything I've read seems to claim it is butyl only with no asphalt.

However, it is sticky as hell when it's hot, and it will gum up a knife. it does clean up with goo gone though. I've not seen any problems with it sticking though. So far, it has worked well. I'm applying my remaining 40+ sq ft tomorrow in my front doors.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,003 Posts
I used peal and seal on the trunk floor of my Civic and I won't be using any more. My car smelled like I was having a commercial grade roof installed for weeks after using this stuff. I will probably go with Second Skin for the doors, and possibly some other noise killing stuff for the floor. Rather than diving in all at once, I am doing my older car in stages!

Unfortunately, all is on hold while waiting to see what hurricane Gustav is going to do.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry...link works for me, but from home depot.com type "quick roof" in the search bar and it'll come up.

Does have a slight asphalt scent (but nothing like the stuff we used in the 90's!).

The last home depot product I used was "protecto-wrap" which is pure butyl but with no foil. Never could find the peel n' seal, but then again, we don't have lowes around here.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Well, could it be used in the trunk only if it gives off a smell? Or would it still stink in the interior?

06BLMUSTANGGT - I will be praying for you folks down there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have fatmat on the inner skin of my door. been holding for 3-4 with no probs. i removed fatmat from the outer skin of my door and put edead and i have regretted it. should have kept the FM on

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,003 Posts
Well, could it be used in the trunk only if it gives off a smell? Or would it still stink in the interior?

06BLMUSTANGGT - I will be praying for you folks down there.
The smell was not that bad, but you could indeed tell that there was an asphalt smell somewhere in the vehicle.

Also, thanks for the prayers. I am not in a mandatory evacuation area, but I am sure I will see some high wind and rain no matter where the storm goes.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I used some form of peel and seal from HD and it had little to no odor. What tiny odor there was, disappeared after a couple days. The only problem is that it runs. I would only use it on the trunk floor or someplace non-critical.

·
Registered
65 Posts
so whats this stuff called at home depot the links not working for me either... im heading up there tomorow so ill like to check it out

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I won't do too much bashing, but I worked on the same car and at least that one batch of Raammat had about as much butyl content as my ass. Second Skin and newer (non-asphalt) Dynamat are WORLDS apart. No comparison at all.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
so whats this stuff called at home depot the links not working for me either... im heading up there tomorow so ill like to check it out
You don't want to use it here on anything vital. Texas gets way too hot. It may not smell, but I'll show you what the bottom of my trunk looks like now. It's a gooey mess. I'm glad I used the real thing in my doors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Flashing tape? There are companies out there that can even custom make butyl based 'flashing tape' with copper facing/backing!
You can also get flashing tape backed with EPDM instead of foil, or layer both the aluminum and EPDM to get a barrier type effect going. I don't know of an industrial/commercial place that sells flashing tape but there are quite a few companies out there who make them and most are butyl based to withstand the heat of its intended uses, usually roofing or exterior building sealing.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts