DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a security camera system for my home with a few cameras to be placed in a few exterior locations. I would want them to have:

-high resolution video
-motion sensing for recording
-perform great in light or dark
-4 cameras should be plenty

Wireless/battery operation would be great if they last long enough. If I must hard-wire (or if it provides significantly better performance for the extra effort and time) I could figure that out.

Can you guys recommend what you've had experience with and what might be a good solution? Thanks

·
Human (not a robot)
2,364 Posts
I have a wired Amcrest system. They are cheapish on Amazon. They are only 960H but have good picture quality for what I want and they were really the only things available when I bought it.
With my attic space it was very easy to install and I ran the wires down an existing hole for cable TV.
The DVR holds over 7 days of 24/7 recording. The app works well on iPhone and i can set it to email me with motion but honestly you'll turn that shit off fast. They used to be able to be seen through a web browser but since there was a Flash plugin that no longer works. No biggie though since I can just use my phone.
Here are a few pictures I posted about the installation.
https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/showthread.php?1442-Home-security-cameras

·
5,191 Posts
An NVR package system should get you started. It uses POE so you still need to get Ethernet to the cam location. Wireless cams work well, but I would have them as a separate cloud based system. The NVR system will do the grunt work of recording all the time. The wireless system will alert you on your phone when their is motion. You can go all wireless and have a separate cloud system, but you may need an extra access point for signal strength (I got the TP Link EAP-110 for outdoor use).

Lots of systems are being sold as 4K now and HDD space is cheap, so get the best cameras you can (if you have great internet you can live view 4K and not kill the bandwidth for other users).

No camera is going to do great at night by itself, for night recording you need light. A wall mount solar light would help for close range objects, but to see 20ft+ on a dark night you will need a flood light.

Another bit of info about motion detection: NVR cameras use a grid overlay to let you select motion zone of the camera image. I find it impossible where I live in the woods to aim the cameras, set the grid, and still get accurate motion alerts. So that's why the wireless works a little better for alerting, because it can be placed in select places that you wouldn't put Ethernet. But all cams have motion sensing problems; leaves, trees sway, so wind, and spiderwebs, bugs, birds, etc.

Lastly, add a battery backup for your modem/router and the NVR. Just to keep it recording all the time and not rebooting on power loss.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I've been looking into this a little lately as well (a neighbor a few houses away came home to someone sneaking around their yard recently). Was looking at the Netgear Arlo Pro 2, but am also looking at the Eufy system, allegedly the battery will last a year between charges. I am sure though that changes depending on how often the camera is recording.

My biggest concern with the Wifi battery cameras is the delay on them switching on and recording something. At least where my house is I can set the camera up in such a way that it should pick up anyone coming towards the house from far away that it would (hopefully) not be a problem.

Might looking into something with POE though, I already have a 24 port patch panel in the garage for wired connections throughout the house. Would just need to run some ethernet wiring out to where the cameras would be mounted.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Since this thread is from a few weeks ago you may have already moved forward, but if you want some help you can PM me. I have current working experience in this field.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went through this a little while ago and decided on a Dahua NVR and Dahua IP camera system. I found they were the manufacturer for a number of the more recognized brands anyway and found a seller on another forum that offered good pricing, quick delivery and service.

Don’t get wrapped up in megapixels, especially in low light, I found the Dahua 2MP to be best suited for night duty but also bought a few of the new 4MP cameras to test.

I did not go wireless after researching due to a number of security concerns but I’m sure there are decent options.

The ipcamtalk dot com forum was a lot of help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts