DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around commerically for a big tower speaker with a big full range sound, but was disappointed that there's nothing in a moderate price range that truly delivers 20-20 bandwidth.

So, now I have to build some.

Are there any places I can find some pre-engineered plans? I don't want to buy a kit. I'd like to just buy drivers, build crossovers, build cabinets, and keep costs low.

Speakers I liked were the Totem Forests (Not quite "big" enough for me), Paradigm Montior 90P's (Almost perfect!) and while a little bright for my taste, the Veritas 2.4's.

I want to build something similar to the 90P's, but I'd like to keep the cost down to around 300-400$ a speaker. I need to build 4 for my HT setup. I like a smoothe, richer, somewhat laid back sound, but with enough top end sparkle to pick up fine detail. They don't have to be self powered like the 90P's. I have plenty of amp power.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/KIT261.htm

Adire Audio Kit261, $700 a pair, Should be more than enough.

One Usher 9950C-15 Soft Dome Tweeter
Two Adire Audio Extremis 6.8 Midwoofers

23 Hz to 20 kHz, ±3 dB anechoic
18 Hz to 20 kHz, ±4 dB typical in-room

Hope thats something like you were looking for.

Reviews of each driver is here as well. On Dangs review's and such.

But then again you said you weren't into kits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not so opposed to kits, as it adds to the overall cost of additional markup, increased shipping costs, etc etc..

I would much rather just buy the drivers, build the crossover, build the cabinet, slap it all together and save myself a few hundred bucks. That way, I think I'll be able to spend more of my money on the actual sound.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I like your mentality, I'm basically the same way, i'd love to get the best bang for the buck by doing everything myself. But wish i could go active in the home myself, it would be alot easier to change out drivers and such to get it just the way i'd like it. Would also like to run some Tube Amps as well along with the active xover. But doing that would be very expensive.

Right now i'm using LPG26nafm's and Vifa P17SJ's with a tempest and i love the sound. Bookshelfs are .3cf sealed right now, will be 1cf ported @ 47hz before too long though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about the Parts Express list. I found a couple designs on there that I like.

Keep them coming! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
how do you go "active" in the home theater setup??

im thinking of rebuilding my old home speakers now that the soundsplinter LMT's have come out

but I have no idea how to do passives--do you just buy a behringher 2496?? or what

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Yea active in home is basically Behringer 2496 or something compraible to it. Its alot easier for passives in the home, as drivers tend to be pointed directly at you and such. But yea active would be cool. Basically the ability to adjust xover points wherever you want. Behringer 2496 is active, but you need amplification for each set of channels so its much more costly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts