DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built this from scratch awhile ago and just looking for some opinions. It has a dual spider suspension, of which I built both by machining dies to form them. I machined the voice coil out of titanium which is in a machined piece of Delrin (Acetal Resin). I also machined the whole body/basket out of aluminum. Lastly, I machined the motor structure out of low-carbon steel. All of this machining was performed using manual machinery.

Specs: 3" mid-range/tweeter, about 1/2 ohm (this was done by accident since the wire wasn't properly measured before it was wrapped). Unfortunately due to the low impedance I haven't had a chance to play this often, but it does function according to the tests I performed after building it.

Any feedback you guys have would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What material are the spiders formed from? Also curious about your coil winding procedure and the voice coil binder glue you used.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spiders are cotton like from a shirt and expanding gorilla glue with plastic rap to prevent it from sticking to the die and I used my lathe to wind the wire and epoxy to hold it

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Interesting. I tried DIY coil winding a few years ago on my mini lathe by making some mandrels and mounting a spool with adjustable tension to the toolpost. I didn't have a feed rate that matched the wire size I was using so I couldn't get a tight wind without overlapping. Here's the bonder I used: Voice Coil Bonder 360-Black - 1 Quart Can

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also in the process of making tweeters I'll be making every thing on them except the diaphragms I'll post pictures when I Finnish making everything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts